Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Clyde Cleveland Dies

Word that former Detroit city councilman Clyde Cleveland has died. Cleveland's wife, Mary, says that he died about 3 a.m. today at Botsford Hospital. Funeral arrangements for Cleveland are pending.

Quote Originally Posted by WWJNewsradio950 View Post
    Word that former Detroit city councilman Clyde Cleveland has died. Cleveland's wife, Mary, says that he died about 3 a.m. today at Botsford Hospital. Funeral arrangements for Cleveland are pending.

God bless. RIP

guess Clyde won't be pistol whipping his wife anymore.

I had forgotten all about that!! Maybe she's not so sorry to see him "go"!

You can always tell what type of impact a council person has had on the city when they die. The fact Clyde hardly gets mentioned tells you volumes. Compare him to Maryanne Mahaffey and you know what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    You can always tell what type of impact a council person has had on the city when they die. The fact Clyde hardly gets mentioned tells you volumes. Compare him to Maryanne Mahaffey and you know what I'm talking about.

Actually, he was pretty good as a Councilman. A whole lot better than anyone we have now. If he was on Council now he would have schooled the OTSC on how to go about their project. He and Mel Ravitz were always the members that took care of business quietly without all of the pomp and circumstance that we get now. They never tried to pat themselves on the back the way Joann Watson, Monica Conyers and Ken Cockrel are constantly doing. The average person that goes about doing their job right never gets the same amount of attention as the attention seekers.

My experiences with Clyde would belie any notion that he was any sort shrinking violet.

Clyde was a major table-pounder, a screamer, a confrontational fist shaker going back to his early days in the movement. Kay Everett and Clyde would yell and pout, throw papers, insult each other, workers, citizens ... the only thing he knew was where bodies were buried.

In comparison to the current crop of idiots, Clyde would fit right in.

guess Clyde won't be pistol whipping his wife anymore.

^

I kinda agree with Kraig. He wasn't a bad Councilman, inspite of his temper. He helped a lot of people I hear. And he's nowhere near as bad as some of the clowns that are on there now. ^^^

I long for the days of Clyde, Mel Ravitz, David Ebberhard, Nick Hood Sr., Jack Kelley, and Ermma Henderson.

At least then we had a council that was productive and, for the most part, classy.

R.I.P. Clyde......

I wondered why he was not heard from on the radio lately.

He pistol whipped his wife?

Okay, glad he is dead.

Next.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    He pistol whipped his wife?

Okay, glad he is dead.

Next.
    I don't know if he pistol-whipped her. He did jump on her and beat her up pretty good. Pistol-whipping might be a exaggeration. I'm not sticking up for the guy, just never heard about him pistol-whipping her.

The older we get the more we come to understand that people are complicated and they change over time. There is some good in the worst of us and some bad in the best of us. It's OK to be judgmental, but some amount of charity is also welcomed.

Clyde was part of a struggle that I helped with to get a Wayne State professor his job back after he was denied tenure for political reasons back in the mid-70s.

I left the Motor City soon after so I don't know of his other successes or failings.

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha View Post
    The older we get the more we come to understand that people are complicated and they change over time. There is some good in the worst of us and some bad in the best of us. It's OK to be judgmental, but some amount of charity is also welcomed.
    Wise words Omaha. Thanks.

A simple relevant quote I like was issued by the Mayor of Stuttgart when the body of the urban-terrorist Andreas Bader was return for burial in the city and protests arose.

"All emnity shall cease at death."

-Manfred Rommel [son of Gen. Erwin "the Desert Fox" Rommel]

RIP Clyde Cleveland

Nope, sorry, you pistol whip your wife and hopefully you go to hell.

Life is very difficult at times... one can go from top of their game to homeless in an instant... but I don't recall that many people pistol whip their wife. That's cruel and demonstrates a lack of core character.

oh, yeah, after he pistol whipped his wife, Clyde shoved her down a flight of stairs.

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/newsa...articleid=1273

Call me a hard-ass, but I don't give a pass to men who abuse their wives. Smack your wife around, abuse your children and you won't get a warm good-bye from me. The abuse lives on long after the abuser is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    oh, yeah, after he pistol whipped his wife, Clyde shoved her down a flight of stairs.

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/newsa...articleid=1273

Call me a hard-ass, but I don't give a pass to men who abuse their wives. Smack your wife around, abuse your children and you won't get a warm good-bye from me. The abuse lives on long after the abuser is dead.

I'm with you. But, as it turned out after everything was said and done, he hadn't pistol whipped her and shoved her down a flight of stairs. At the time, she was contemplating divorce and instead of getting a divorce lawyer, she was being advised, why is beyond me, by Sam Riddle. Yes, the same Sam Riddle that has a whole bunch of liars as clients that are always in trouble with the law. The Clevelands reconciled, but she was going to face perjury charges. I'm not saying he did it for any altruistic or honorable reasons, but, he did decide to plead rather than see her go through anything.