Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Another Gas Station Smash n Bash ATM Snatch!

Last edited by Zacha341; October-24-11 at 08:11 AM.

The eastside is becoming increasingly difficult to justify leaving near. As a lifelong eastsider I am questioning how long the pointes, hw, scs etc. can hang on. How do other eastsiders feel? The brazen sootings, robbers, carjacking etc are no longer a "safe" distance.

I hear that. I worked not far from that area for a while and it was nuts - and getting crazier. Certain cars were regularly targeted for catalytic converters. The increasing 'smash and grabs' daylight robberies, break-ins, etc and the 'reported' shootings. We went out to lunch in twos and I am not not hardly the 'naive' victim-type persona having lived in the D all of my life, but it was just best for us ladies to go to lunch in a group.
    Quote Originally Posted by rondinjp View Post
    The eastside is becoming increasingly difficult to justify leaving near. As a lifelong eastsider I am questioning how long the pointes, hw, scs etc. can hang on. How do other eastsiders feel? The brazen sootings, robbers, carjacking etc are no longer a "safe" distance.

bartock Guest

We just moved from HW to Shelby Township instead of one of the Pointes for this reason.

As a resident of SCS I can tell you we are under siege. There are shootings and robberies every other day up and down my street. No, not really!
    What do you mean how long can the pointes, hw and scs hang on? You make it sound like theres an army of murderes and thieves fighting at the boarders fighting to get in and wreck havoc on these locations. Of course there are incidents in the city and a few times the losers caught have been from the D, probably more than half the time. I just depend on the police and fellow residents to keep order in my city. Most of the time it works.

Quote Originally Posted by dbpix View Post
    As a resident of SCS I can tell you we are under siege. There are shootings and robberies every other day up and down my street. No, not really!
    What do you mean how long can the pointes, hw and scs hang on? You make it sound like theres an army of murderes and thieves fighting at the boarders fighting to get in and wreck havoc on these locations. Of course there are incidents in the city and a few times the losers caught have been from the D, probably more than half the time. I just depend on the police and fellow residents to keep order in my city. Most of the time it works.
    Gotta agree 100%. With 3 minute 911 response time, I sleep safe at night, and can go to the nearby 7-Eleven at 1AM without concern. SCS is still a nice quiet safe area to live in... ditto for the Grosse Pointes.

HOWEVER... the East English Village and Cornerstone Village [[between EEV and St. John Hospital) areas are under siege. Property values have decreased by 80% in the last 3 years. There is "significan" percentage of empty foreclosed homes in this neighborhood... and the blight of tear down homes has started to infiltrate this area. Add to that the fact that fatass Engler eliminated the Copper Canyon police/fire residency rule, and you have the makings of some serious decline in the area, especially with the abyssmal response time to 911 calls.

When my mother passed away last year living near Balduck Park... we literally sold her house for the same money that she and my late father purchased it for in 1960.... $15,000. Much of her neighborhood is now rental property, and there has been an increase in home breakins.

The BoA protesters are just marching and chanting. These thieves are taking the banks on directly. They must be really dim to turn a b&e larceny into an attempted murder case.

I live in Grosse Pointe Woods and love it, though I wish the city [Detroit] was safer and had a higher standard of living so I could move my family there.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Gotta agree 100%. With 3 minute 911 response time, I sleep safe at night, and can go to the nearby 7-Eleven at 1AM without concern. SCS is still a nice quiet safe area to live in... ditto for the Grosse Pointes.

HOWEVER... the East English Village and Cornerstone Village [[between EEV and St. John Hospital) areas are under siege. Property values have decreased by 80% in the last 3 years. There is "significan" percentage of empty foreclosed homes in this neighborhood... and the blight of tear down homes has started to infiltrate this area. Add to that the fact that fatass Engler eliminated the Copper Canyon police/fire residency rule, and you have the makings of some serious decline in the area, especially with the abyssmal response time to 911 calls.

When my mother passed away last year living near Balduck Park... we literally sold her house for the same money that she and my late father purchased it for in 1960.... $15,000. Much of her neighborhood is now rental property, and there has been an increase in home breakins.
    EEV is doing okay. The properties values are extremely low compared to what they used to be but the quality of the housing stock that Cornerstone doesn't have has helped us attract good people. Most of Cornerstone is a mess except east of Balduck. Their neighborhood association isn't nearly as strong there.
    We are dealing with a lot more property crime though. We do have a strong relationship with DPD to respond to the stupid shit. For one thing we don't have any violent crime to speak of.

Eastside is too broad a term. Yes, most of the are east of Woodward and South of Eight Mile is faring pretty damn poorly. But some areas are ok.

I was in that station at least five times a week when I lived on Bedford. Always clean, always friendly. Been years since I've seen the place ...

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    EEV is doing okay. The properties values are extremely low compared to what they used to be but the quality of the housing stock that Cornerstone doesn't have has helped us attract good people. Most of Cornerstone is a mess except east of Balduck. Their neighborhood association isn't nearly as strong there.
    We are dealing with a lot more property crime though. We do have a strong relationship with DPD to respond to the stupid shit. For one thing we don't have any violent crime to speak of.

Eastside is too broad a term. Yes, most of the are east of Woodward and South of Eight Mile is faring pretty damn poorly. But some areas are ok.
    DetroitPole, I agree with you... I know a lady who lives on 3 Mile Drive, and the Morningside area west of EEV, which also has a very nice housing stock... is getting pummeled pretty badly by the housing mess. And ironically the "poor housing stock area" of Cornerstone Village between Warren and Mack is still holding its' own... even though much of the housing there is little better than cottages.

Yeah there has been a fast and obvious down-turn in that area. A young couple I know purchased a home over there and got out but took a fiscal bath regarding their home value and selling price. What was the "Copper Canyon police/fire residency rule"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    ... the East English Village and Cornerstone Village [[between EEV and St. John Hospital) areas are under siege. Property values have decreased by 80% in the last 3 years. There is "significan" percentage of empty foreclosed homes in this neighborhood... and the blight of tear down homes has started to infiltrate this area. Add to that the fact that fatass Engler eliminated the Copper Canyon police/fire residency rule, and you have the makings of some serious decline in the area, especially with the abyssmal response time to 911 calls.

The westside isn't doing too hot either these days.

Remember what happened at the Burger King on 7 Mile and Greenfield, for starters?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post

EEV is where I spent most of my childhood and adolescence. Glad to hear it's still standing. When I'm rich one day, I'd love to redevelop some of the rentals near Mack Ave and Outer Dr. The 1920s architecture is just gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    What was the "Copper Canyon police/fire residency rule"?
    A law, since changed, required city of Detroit employees to live in the city. EEV/Morningside had a very high percentage of fire/police officers living in the neighborhood.