Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Charter revision vote, Nov. 8

Freep edit board's thoughts about the charter revision...

http://www.freep.com/article/2011102...text%7COpinion

http://www.freep.com/article/2011102...w-charter-plan

I've heard far more about opposition to the charter, though, than I have in support of it.
    I'm beginning to be skeptical that it'll pass..

I hope it passes and if it does it will be the first major step for Detroit everything is give and take in politics this charter is the basic meat and potatoes and it can always be amended by citizen support in the future if needed.This will be the first test to see if there is really enough support that the city needs to move forward and will send a message to the outside that Detroit is serious.

If it fails to pass the message would be is that Detroit is not really ready support wise to move forward.IMHO I think it will pass.

You can see a .pdf copy of the charter proposal at this link: http://2009dcrc.org/Documents/CC3_Broadside[1].pdf

T
    he first couple of pages give a good summary first, then the actual draft.

In a document this large, everyone can find something to quibble, about, but on net, this thing is better passed than not. It is certainly an improvement on the existing charter, and that should probably be what should matter most. If anything good can some out of the Kilpatrick era, it is this. Some cities probably wish they have in their charters some of the things this one will have, but the sense of urgency isn't there, so charter revisions are often put off.

BTW, I don't see how this doesn't pass. Historically, cities don't vote to have charter revisions and then vote down the new charter. The vote for the drafting a new charter is usually implicit support of whatever is eventually drafted since cities so rarely vote to bring up charter revisions in the first place. That said, being an off election year, which usually means lower turnout, it'll probably be a closer vote than it should be since these off-years bring out your most crabby and perpetually pissed voters.

BTWx2, I am really liking the provision in the new charter that will create advisory councils in the new seven wards. Apart from the districts, themselves, this will bring the council even closer to neighborhood concerns and make sure that all the diverse communities have a formal hearing on things they need or things proposed.
    Last edited by Dexlin; October-23-11 at 10:35 PM.

DETROIT
    PROPOSAL C
    Shall the City of Detroit Home Rule Charter proposed by the Detroit Charter Revision Commission be adopted?
    19% of precincts reporting
    Yes 2,717 51%
    No 2,639 49%

So by 2013 election, the original Detroit City Council is no more. And a evil Ward-like system will be established. Bring back a evil ward-like system will not change or reform the way Detroit city leaders go their business. There will be corruption in the midst of Detroit future image.