Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Olympia Stadium Photos

For all you Olympia lovers, from the Detroit News

http://multimedia.detnews.com/pix/ph...011/index.html

I saw Isaac Hayes at the Olympia in 1970.

Nice!

Thanks for the link.

Love that scoreboard...great pics! Thanks for the link.

Still miss the old barn. Lots of memories

Got a brick from the old barn sitting in my front yard here in Las Vegas.

I was taken to games there as a kid, but I can't say I really remember it, unfortunately.

I do hope that whenever we do eventually get a new arena, that the architects pay a structural tribute to the old Olympia. Would also love it to be called The Olympia Arena, although common sense says it will be the Amway or Little Caesar's Arena.

Friday night ROLLERDERBY!T-Birds vs Bombers,sitting at center ice.

Pistons.....Ice Capades with Freddie Twinkler....Rodeo.

God, how can I remember the name Freddie Twinkler but not remember what I'm supposed to do today.

Around 1976 I drove up from Akron, OH to see David Bowie at Olympia with my college friends. I believe it was the Station to Station tour.

I think I went there twice in the 1970s, Peter Pan on Ice and a rodeo, IIRC.

Saw The Beatles there twice. "Saw" being the keyword. Couldn't hear them, lol.

Ice Capades and Ice Follies - beachboy was nutz about skating ... memories ...

Nice items. Really cool photos and info... I grew up with it in the back drop architecturally speaking living near Grand River and the newly finished Jeffries I-96 as a kid and later teen of the '70's. As teens we went to a few roller derby games.

You could see the building for blocks and miles if in a high rise. It was a landmark indeed. I still recall the crowds of folks walking by our house on their way to see Elvis!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Still miss the old barn. Lots of memories

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I was taken to games there as a kid, but I can't say I really remember it, unfortunately.

I do hope that whenever we do eventually get a new arena, that the architects pay a structural tribute to the old Olympia. Would also love it to be called The Olympia Arena, although common sense says it will be the Amway or Little Caesar's Arena.
    Something like this?

http://www.newolympia.blogspot.com

Yes, Schultze, just like that! I always envisioned it behind the Fox, but actually sitting on Grand River. A wonderful, old-timey red brick facade would be glorious. As opposed to most of the newer [[post 1990) baseball stadiums, I think most modern hockey/basketball arenas are ugly and don't contribute visually to their neighborhoods. The building, if I designed it, would also have an adjacent plaza [[between the arena and the Fox) with statues of hall of famers, trees, and benches.

went there to see the ice capades in the mid 60's and am sure that's where i went for my first concert....elton john in '74/'75.