Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Want quality American made products? Try Craig's List

Since retailers and Wall Street have colluded in the past decade to force manufactures of appliances, tools etc to produce products in low wage countries try Craig's List when you need something for your home. Twice in the past few weeks I have had cash in hand to buy medium ticket items where I would have been spending hundreds of dollars at any given local store. One was for a window unit Air Conditioner, the second was for a cordless sawzall. My only requirement was that these products I was spending hundreds of dollars on be US made. I searched high and low for these products and discovered that none were made in the US or Canada any longer and that production was now done exclusively in low wage countries. I told the sales people at each store “no thanks, I would not be spending my money here” and let them know instead I would by used products manufactured in the US. They looked at me like I was insane. On Craig's list I had several items to choose from, all for much less then what the retailers' wanted, and the sellers' where happy to check the items and verify the country of origin for me. The result was a lightly used two year old Frigidaire 6K BTU unit for $60. Home Depot price for a comparable Chinese LG unit was $120. Second was 10 year old Milwaukee SawzAll set that also had a flashlight, charger and extra battery for $135. Lowe's price for comparable Mexican DeWalt set up was $300. If enough people do this maybe these bone head stores will start to wake up.

Buying used is a great way to save a buck and help the local economy! When Milwaukee sent their factories oversees I was heartbroken Fortunately many of the new Milwaukee Lithium Ion batteries are made in Canada, but the remainder of their cordless tool work has been sent to China and Mexico

Good idea, Squire. I have started listing more things on CL, and I will be sure to note American made if it applies. Then you can buy things from me!

How do you tell about wheels and tires?

Tires will say on the side walls. Other auto parts will only list the country of manufacture on the product packaging, but not the product. Unless the dealer is willing to disclose that information it may be difficult to tell with the rims.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaberwocky View Post
    This is silly. How does buying used products help the US manufacturers now? If I buy a used japanese TV or powertool, how many of my dollars will make their way to Japan? How many people consider resale value when buying a TV?

You might be able to make a "resale value" argument for a car, but that is it.

It would only help if enough people voiced a preference for US manufactured products indicating they would not buy that product from that store until it was manufactured in the US again. I had a long conversation with the owner of Red Wing shoes in Berkley. It appears Redwing is shifting a lot of their production to China recently while keeping some of it here, albeit a smaller and smaller portion each year until they decide to close all US shoe plants. To nip it in the bud the store owner said he told his distributor that he did not want to show the Chinese products on his store shelves, just the US ones. Like I keep saying if this happens enough the management will eventually realize the lost revenue in sales exceeds the cost benefit of lower labor in Mexico and Asia.

My reasons for encouraging people to buy American are somewhat selfish. Only because I know as the unemployment rate rises, so will the cost of my health care. Whenever some one who is unemployed or under employed gets sick and goes to the emergency room, they cannot be turned away [[nor should they be) and have to be treated. Health care providers make this up by charging us working stiffs more. I also realize that although I am highly skilled and somewhat secure in my job, that as Asia comes online and increases their purchasing power to replace ours that will not mean any benefit to me. You see the Asians are much smarter then our government was. They will meet their demand with their Engineers, their Designers and their factories. I also want to see more opportunities for my child who will finish high school soon, so that I will not have to support her well into her 30s because the only job she can find is at Wal Mart.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaberwocky View Post
    This is silly. How does buying used products help the US manufacturers now? If I buy a used japanese TV or powertool, how many of my dollars will make their way to Japan? How many people consider resale value when buying a TV?

You might be able to make a "resale value" argument for a car, but that is it.
    You're right that buying used does not directly help U.S manufacturers, but it does help the local economy and keeps more dollars here in America. If you spend $100 on a used item on Craigslist [[Foreign or domestic) normally 100% of the money stays here in Metro Detroit. It can then be used to support other businesses. When you spend $100 on new Chinese item a percentage of that money is sent oversees and supports the economy in Shanghai!

Another option is to borrow or rent tools or equipment. I sure do not want to invest in tools that I may only use once or twice a year. By renting you support your local small business owner. After being blindsided by job elimination in March, I am done being a good little consumer. With the exception of consumables, I do not want anything to do with any product made, distributed or sold by a global corporation.

This book discusses making a concerted effort to buy locally produced food and other items:

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, Camille Kingsolver, Steven L. Hopp

To get started on buying American made products, which requires some dedication, and forget shopping at big box stores, try these sites:

www.stillmadeinusa.com/

www.madeinusa.org/

www.americansworking.com/

www.usstuff.com/

www.buyamerican.com/

www.toysmadeinamerica.com/

www.devvy.com/made_inthe_usa.html

www.madeinusaforever.com/

www.nmoa.org/bestusa/

www.dvdeals.com/made_in_usa.htm

ccbatson Guest

It isn't that complicated...buy the best products with the best prices. That will help private companies here in the US the most. Why? competition as incentive.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    It isn't that complicated...buy the best products with the best prices. That will help private companies here in the US the most. Why? competition as incentive.
    Until you realize the best prices are on products made in Communist China, of whom is supposed to be an enemy of the free market.

Free market proponents conveniently forget that little bit of information.

ccbatson Guest

Best prices AND best quality on a level playing field. Eschew organized labor and demand equal trade