Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Livonia replaces Quicken with Trinity Health

Sorry Livonia haters - I know our fair city is for some odd reason the butt of many jokes on these premises - but it looks like some very good news for L-town.
    This is from the Observer and Eccentric.

Written by
    Ken Abramczyk

Observer Staff Writer
    The city of Livonia will soon have a new occupant at the site of the former Quicken Loans.

Trinity Health, the fourth-largest Catholic health care system in the country, will move 1,400 employees as part of the consolidation of two of its corporate headquarters locations in Novi and Farmington Hills, to a single campus in Livonia.

Trinity Health, which operates St. Mary Mercy Hospital in Livonia, has leased a campus of two adjacent, four-story buildings — 340,000 square feet — at the Victor Corporate Center at 20255 and 20555 Victor Parkway in Livonia.

Joseph Swedish, Trinity Health president and CEO, said the consolidation and relocation will help Trinity Health in cutting costs.

“With the selection of this campus as our home, we are able to bring our corporate teams in closer proximity to one another, leverage the current real estate market and ensure both cost savings and stability, among other goals,” Swedish said in a press release issued Wednesday on the company’s Web site. “I am very confident in our decision because it will stabilize costs and help us become more efficient at a crucial moment in health care history.”

Livonia Mayor Jack Kirksey said the city was “absolutely delighted” with the news.
    Kirksey said there was intense competition for Trinity Health, and that there was a confidentiality clause during the negotiations between Trinity Health and Kojaian, a commercial real estate company based in Bloomfield Hills.

full article here

But, what about Novi?

Who's going to fill the old space in Novi? You could have posted this without the snotty preface. Now, you just look silly.

He's not being snotty, just factual.

http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1141787304

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Who's going to fill the old space in Novi? You could have posted this without the snotty preface. Now, you just look silly.
    Agreed 100%.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Respecting the fact that you are new here, for the most part, Livonia is totally unfairly and absolutely bombed on this site.

Jobs that were in Livonia move to Detroit. Jobs that were in Novi move to Livonia. Will jobs be leaving Detroit for Novi? As long as "economic development" in southeast Michigan consists of jobs being shuffled around the region, our regional economy is going to continue to decline. Livonia may have "won" by poaching the jobs from Novi but from the perspective of the regional economy, no one "won".

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    Jobs that were in Livonia move to Detroit. Jobs that were in Novi move to Livonia. Will jobs be leaving Detroit for Novi? As long as "economic development" in southeast Michigan consists of jobs being shuffled around the region, our regional economy is going to continue to decline. Livonia may have "won" by poaching the jobs from Novi but from the perspective of the regional economy, no one "won".
    With as tight of a home-rule clause as Michigan has, I think most people unfortuantely are only concerned about what happens in their own tiny little townships, not about what benefits the entire region.

I hope none of those Trinity Health folks need to take a bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I hope none of those Trinity Health folks need to take a bus!
    Well, they didn't have that option in Novi either...

SMART has a stop on Haggerty for one of the routes that serves Farmington Hills. There are people that work at 12 Oaks who walk or get rides from this stop since it's right on the Novi border.

I wonder if the city made a pitch for Trinity. I know it’s a suburban based health system, but nevertheless.

Move to Detroit Trinity Health. Those folks in Livonia don't care about mass transit.

I would say that anytime jobs migrate towards the urban core rather than from it, it's a good situation. Redevelop and repopulate the city and inner ring suburbs and stop the urban sprawl.

The problem is that Livonia's no more in the "urban core" than Novi.

I think there are two ways you can look at this:

On one hand, you can say, who cares if Trinity Health moved from Novi to Livonia? There's no net job growth for the region. You can say that this is just another case of Metro Detroit playing musical chairs, fighting amongst itself for the scraps of a tattered economy. No value added.

Or, you can look at it from the perspective of Trinity Health moving to Livonia as a sign of a more healthy metro that offers companies more options. By Quicken moving to the urban core, it opened up some office space in Livonia, which, in turn, opened up some office space in Novi. Not every company wants to be in the urban core and not every company wants to be in a sleepy suburb. Trinity seems to prefer a suburban location over an urban one. That's perfectly okay. I personally don't have an affinity for Novi; to me, it is a bland exurb, edge city. However, Novi is relatively upscale and some people/companies do like being in that kind of an environment. Novi now has the opportunity to market its assets as a modern suburb to attract a company that desires those attributes in a location.

The bottom line is, we need to start recognizing our collective assets as a region. Detroit has assets as an emerging urban market. Novi has assets in being a sprawly, yet modern upscale exurb. Livonia has its assets as a middle-income residential suburb that's affordable and not far from the city center.

A former me would have viewed this from vantage point 1. But, I'm really trying to look at things differently. In the end, Quicken could have chosen to leave for a different urban locale, say Chicago, and right now we'd have 2 empty office buildings instead of one. Regional leaders need to cooperate on attracting businesses as a unified front. If a company prefers an urban location, the suburbs of Detroit should support the city in its efforts, not compete against it. If a company wants a suburban location, Detroit should tip its hat to the suburbs and offer its support. As a region, we have lots of assets, we just need to market them in the proper manner using the proper channels.
    Last edited by BrushStart; October-24-11 at 03:14 PM.

The problem is that Livonia's no more in the "urban core" than Novi.
    Not urban core, but less exurbia than Novi.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post

The bottom line is, we need to start recognizing our collective assets as a region. Detroit has assets as an emerging urban market. Novi has assets in being a sprawly, yet modern upscale exurb. Livonia has its assets as a middle-income residential suburb that's affordable and not far from the city center.
    Jesus H. Jones. Livonia, Detroit, and Novi are our "assets"?? I'd hate to see the "liabilities" side of that spreadsheet.

I think it says a lot when the Livonia people are super-defensive right off the bat. Self-conscious, maybe?

While all these places are still total shitholes in the eyes of everyone who wasn't born in Metro Detroit jobs are still just going to play musical chairs within our region while another steady stream flows out.

Christ, you could start by actually being able to reach one of those places from the other without having to drive there. Assets, yeah, who doesn't love no transit, for starters?

I won't even get into the rest since some people here are ready to go postal on the next person who insults holy Livonia.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Jesus H. Jones. Livonia, Detroit, and Novi are our "assets"?? I'd hate to see the "liabilities" side of that spreadsheet.

I think it says a lot when the Livonia people are super-defensive right off the bat. Self-conscious, maybe?

While all these places are still total shitholes in the eyes of everyone who wasn't born in Metro Detroit jobs are still just going to play musical chairs within our region while another steady stream flows out.

Christ, you could start by actually being able to reach one of those places from the other without having to drive there. Assets, yeah, who doesn't love no transit, for starters?

I won't even get into the rest since some people here are ready to go postal on the next person who insults holy Livonia.
    Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed, jeezzz. Take a chill pill.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Metro Detroit is just one big ****hole. No redeeming qualities whatsoever. Downtown Detroit might as well be a dump. Livonia, a disgusting cesspool. Novi, a rotting corpse of a suburb.

The reality is that each of those cities has desirable qualities in someone's eyes. As I said, I'm not a particular fan of Novi or Livonia. I don't live there nor do I visit often. I live in [[as you have said) the "Potemkin Village" of downtown/Midtown Detroit. But, while I feel that both Novi and Livonia are the result of poor urban planning and an incredible mis-allocation of resources, we are stuck with them and might as well market them to companies and residents looking for what they offer. Namely, decent schools, large homes, highway access, and quiet suburban living.

I really wish people would quit demoralizing everything about Metro Detroit. Do we have some serious problems? Definitely. Can we make the best of things. Absolutely. Personally, I'm tired of all the infighting. I'm even more tired of apologizing for what Metro Detroit is and what it is not. Whether I like Livonia and Novi or not, at the end of the day I'd rather have those municipalities supportive of progressive urban growth in the central city than working against it. The best thing we can do now is to try and cooperate as a region, march forward, and for hope for better outcomes.

Are companies starting to move further and further into the core?

It would be nice to see more large companies move into downtown!

You probably insulted and/or infuriated a lot of people with that particular post, but yet again you hit the nail right in the head.

Back when I was in Michigan I recall seeing these buildings along I-275? Is that correct?

I'm pro-central city business regardless of place. I think centralized business districts are more sustainable long term since future transit can more efficiently connect suburb to city.

So that said, there isn't anything positive you could say unless you are actually from Livonia and have more contributions to the city's tax base. Another two burbs lose tenants. You aren't gaining any jobs in Michigan here, just doing reshuffling.

I've known people from Livonia. It doesn't seem like all that bad place to live and raise a family. But if you work and have an office job there.....I'm so, so sorry.
    Last edited by wolverine; October-24-11 at 08:36 PM.

bartock Guest

Oh, fuck you like I'm really ready to "go postal" over Livonia. I could give a shit. Fact is that it gets the label of everything white, fleeing, racist and wrong about this area from the likes of you and others, so I was simply stating facts.

You are right, though, you can't get to any of those areas...even Detroit, as you pointed out [[though I think someone missed)....without driving.

You don't have to be a cheerleader for the area, but aside from perhaps a couple of nice things to say about EEV, you hate this place.

Agree with Brush on the positives of this. Novi, despite the general blah-ness that gets understandably highlighted on this particular forum, is desireable to a lot of people and is WAY more likely to find suitors for the empty office space than Livonia was. Shit I live in a similarly bland area now due to personal family reasons over being cool or hating every one. Who'd of thunk I'd love the area I live in because I brought those I love with me. I'm such a shill, I know.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    You probably insulted and/or infuriated a lot of people with that particular post, but yet again you hit the nail right in the head.
    No, he missed the nail and his thumb next to it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast