Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Toddler in China repeatedly run over by truck and ignored by bystanders.

This is one of the most repulsive acts I have ever witnessed. That the truck driver knowingly ran this child over a second time makes me sick to my stomach. The fact so many bystanders blatantly ignored the injured child leaves me questioning the Chinese even more than I have in the past. If this is any indication of the value they place on a child's life we are in for some serious trouble in the future...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwhVU...layer_embedded

Ravine Guest

Johnny5, thanks for sharing that. I am so nauseated and angry that I think for me to make any statement, at all, right now is a bad idea.
    i would almost feel ashamed to be a human, but those soulless motherfuckers in that clip ain't humans, or at least I would like to believe so.
    Oops. Went ahead and made a statement.

There are some things I cannot watch.

But knowing that the footage exists confirms my goal to rarely buy anything made in China.

The child has since died. There was a person who stopped and took her to the hospital so it's not really fair to paint all the Chinese as heartless. Plus they seem to be doing a lot of soul searching over this.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/oct/21/news/la-mobile-china-toddler-death

By midday, there were 2 million condolence messages flooding the Internet for the girl, whose name was Wang Yue, or Yueyue for short.
    "Heaven's roads have no cars. Go in peace, little Yueyue," wrote one woman. "Your life woke up this ignorant society. Thanks to little Yueyue for letting us stop our fast-paced steps so we can wait for our soul," wrote a man, Sun Laolin.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    The child has since died. There was a person who stopped and took her to the hospital so it's not really fair to paint all the Chinese as heartless. Plus they seem to be doing a lot of soul searching over this.

You're right, you're right, and if I sounded that way-- I will own up to feeling a bit of that way-- I withdraw my sweeping stroke.
    I think the thing that really fucked me up was the first guy, who walked past as though the child was nothing more worth his notice than a spilled bag of trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post

Yes, there was ONE person that stopped to help, but only after 18 others went by with hardly a glance. Obviously not every person in China is as heartless as those that walked past, but when 18 of 19 people ignore a dying child it says as much about the culture in general as the individuals themselves.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; October-23-11 at 09:34 AM.

I don't know if this applies in this case, but the Chinese place no value on girl children; there is a zero growth policy in China and families are allowed only one child. Most people want boys, so many girls are left to die on road- or mountain-sides or dropped off at orphanages so the parents can make another try for a boy. If people noticed this child at all, and noticed that she was a girl, they may have assumed that she was left there by her parents to die.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I don't know if this applies in this case, but the Chinese place no value on girl children; there is a zero growth policy in China and families are allowed only one child. Most people want boys, so many girls are left to die on road- or mountain-sides or dropped off at orphanages so the parents can make another try for a boy. If people noticed this child at all, and noticed that she was a girl, they may have assumed that she was left there by her parents to die.
    Uggh. Good point.

Cripes!!

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    As appalling as your explanation is... it's sadly the case... kind of reminds me where in Muslim countries fathers kill their daughters who have supposedly "disrespected" their family's honor!

But geeze... 35 years after the murderous end of the Cultural Revolution... and still they act 3rd World... I had heard that sometimes parents would drown their daugher in a bucket of water... damn... even with Confusianism, the Dao, and Budda... they still have so little respect for human life...

Sorry, I really don't think Americans can be self righteous about this. Our track record on caring about others isn't perfect. Anybody remember this story?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_genovese

We also have the "berserk gunman of the month" phenomenon. What does that say about our "culture"? Some people do atrocious things, it's not unique to any country.

Kitty Genovese was a study in group mentality. People knew other people were watching, so each individual gave up their responsibility.

In this case, each individual passed by as an individual and ignored the dying kid. The one who did respond was someone who was picking out of the trashcans, so perhaps had more empathy as a result of their own suffering.

The good news is that China is still willing to accept our money for their shit at Walmart and loan us more money to buy more of it. Running a guy over with a tank didnt stop us, so why would this?

People knew other people were watching, so each individual gave up their responsibility.
    I think this could have been in the mind of some of the Chinese too. "Someone else will deal with it".

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    As appalling as your explanation is... it's sadly the case... kind of reminds me where in Muslim countries fathers kill their daughters who have supposedly "disrespected" their family's honor!

But geeze... 35 years after the murderous end of the Cultural Revolution... and still they act 3rd World... I had heard that sometimes parents would drown their daugher in a bucket of water... damn... even with Confusianism, the Dao, and Budda... they still have so little respect for human life...

Did you hear about the Shafia trial where a father, his second wife and son are accused of a quadruple murder in Kingston Ontario. Said accused killed the dad's ex-wife and 3 daughters by pushing their car in a canal because they wanted more freedom, they were dishonoring family values. The Montreal based family were recent immigrants from Afghanistan. The father had bought a used car on the eve of their departure so they wouldnt ruin a brand new minivan he had just bought. They followed the car and managed to push them in the Rideau canal.
    It seems in certain cultures, little girls and women should live under a tent even when walking down the street. For shame.
    Last edited by canuck; October-24-11 at 11:38 AM.