Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Help, please, with a fraudulent mechanic!

What can you do about a mechanic that checks out your car, gives you an estimate of the problem and the cost the fix the problem, keeps the car and claims to fix it, accepts the payment - but when you get the car back its doing the SAME thing? What steps should we take immediately, because this guy is clearly going to have to strong armed.

We paid by credit card so we're going to stop payment first thing Monday morning. But where do we file complaints for the legal trouble that's going to be forthcoming?

Basically, the car was shaking badly so we took the car in and they said it needed tie rods and a bunch of other related things [[I'd have to look at the paperwork to remember) and it was going to be $900. We paid, they kept the car, and then called and said it was ready. We pick it up, can't tell anything driving the short distance home at low speed, but as soon as you get up to speed its still shaking, same thing as before.

The mechanic now just says, "Oh well its a bad tire! We have some used tires you can BUY!" Seriously? we're supposed to buy a tire from you - what about what we paid you $900 for!!!

I need to know what to do besides reversing payment because I intend to take these people down.

Excellent! And I can file online! Thanks, Maof! I'll do this today and still reversing payment on Monday morning. They probably won't even try to sue me for the payment because they can't show up in court asking for payment for work they didn't do! But at least the complaint will be on record to back up my issue.

Did they show you the old parts they took off the car? Not that you could rely on them being the actual parts from your car.

Another government issue. We should let the Republicans have a issue free workplace. That means you have no recourse. Do you know you're stamping on Democracy? How can this guy create jobs when you complain about lousy service? No regulation. Ha Ha Ha..

your welcome. and also complain on "yelp" for all the internet world to see. i just did for a small appliance store. best price but crappy delivery and set-up. the guys were very shady and couldn't wait to get them out of my home.

You might also post on this site. -

http://www.ripoffreport.com/Login.as...ileReport.aspx

I'm tired of the shitty service that we get as consumers. Under paid employees that don't want to be there. And it hits us full force. Thanks.

The first thing you do before stopping payment is have the car inspected and see if the stated parts have indeed been replaced. They may have done what they said, but misdiagnosed [[or misrepresented) the problem. Misdiagnosing is one thing - they screwed up and just don't know what they're doing. If that's the case, you may have to pay for the parts they replaced, but not their labor. Misrepresentation is another matter and borders on fraud.

If they just lied and didn't do anything, hang'em high.

Also, is this a chain, or just some independent garage? If it's a chain, you can go to higher ups. Maybe.

They did not return the parts replaced - so I should take the car elsewhere and have the work confirmed - good idea, that will also be more proof for me. I could see misdiagnosis for something more serious, but the tire was wobbling when we took it in, and its wobbling when we get it back. Thing is, when we came back and complained, they didn't even look at the car, he just said, oh well then you need a tire. Well why didn't you say that at first - or why didnt you check that as part of your diagnosis? It's like he already knew!

It's not a chain but there's two of them about a mile apart from each other. I'll say the name next week after I get our proof together and stop the payment. If I give away the name ahead of time, they might get wind of it and make some moves to block me. Although, I don't think there's much they can do to stop me from reversing payment with my credit card company.

Years ago, a friend took his car there for repair and they told him it needed head gaskets - I guess there were upper and lower - or inner and outer gaskets? At any rate, they charged him $600 and replaced the gaskets, then when he picked up the car and it was still overheating, they said it needed a different set of gaskets than what they changed. They just kind of shrugged it off like, oh well, you can now pay us to change this other set of gaskets. My friend ended up junking the car rather than pay them again.

We gave them the benefit of the doubt back then, but now that its happened again, it seems to just be the way they do business.

It was way back when, but I seem to remember some state office, maybe S.O.S. that had an inspection program for cases like this where they would check your car for work a mechanic claimed to have done.

Might have been the AG's office.

I won't swear to it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    It was way back when, but I seem to remember some state office, maybe S.O.S. that had an inspection program for cases like this where they would check your car for work a mechanic claimed to have done.

Might have been the AG's office.

I won't swear to it though.

The Bureau of Automotive Regulations [[BAR) was a state entity that did exactly what you said above. It [[or one branch of) was on the north side of 8 Mile around Inkster or Beech Daly. That was 10 or more years ago, I do not know if they are there anymore, or even still exist.

I have a good, honest, reliable mechanic here on the eastside

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    I have a good, honest, reliable mechanic here on the eastside
    Care to share?!!

I had my car worked on today by the best mechanics I know, Bill and Steve Actis from Masonic Auto Electric, at the corner of Masonic and Groesbeck in Fraser. They have been working on all my cars for 21 years. They're good, they're honest and they're really nice guys.

It's a small place -- two bays -- and you might have to wait on them if you don't have a hair-on-fire emergency, but they will fix your car right, and for a reasonable price.

They are open 8:30-4:30 Monday-Friday. You can call them at 586-296-5006. Tell them I sent you.

If you're not a member of Angie's List, you might want to join. There's businesses of all kinds listed there with ratings from other members. They don't take advertising, and you have to be a member to report on a business. So all the ratings are legitimate. I've used them for auto repair, tree trimming, & surveying services all with good results.

If you're not a member of Angie's List, you might want to join.
    Ummmm, NO!