Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Red Devil Pizza

Default Red Devil Pizza

Is the red devil still open? I haven't been in years but loved it as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanoutdoors View Post

Whoa, talk about a blast from the past. I tried calling a few weeks ago, but the line was disconnected. I hope it's due to a new number. Try Bob's Pizza on 7 mile, they're pretty good.

I was thinking of calling to check on the place myself. Been meaning to get down there is the place was still open. I miss going to Bobs also.

Funny you should ask. Just a couple weeks ago I went by the place on Fenkell. Yes, they are still there, at least after a fashion. The sign calls it a Sports Bar/Restaurant under a different name. In the lower corner of the main sign it also says Red Devil. Dunno how much of the old place shines through. Sure had great pizza in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by ptero View Post
    Funny you should ask. Just a couple weeks ago I went by the place on Fenkell. Yes, they are still there, at least after a fashion. The sign calls it a Sports Bar/Restaurant under a different name. In the lower corner of the main sign it also says Red Devil. Dunno how much of the old place shines through. Sure had great pizza in the day.
    Had take-out pizza there about 10 years ago, it was terrible. Haven't been back since. Back in the 70's and 80's that place had great food, we used to eat there often. The sign has said sports bar or something for several years now.

I know the owner of the bar that was formerly Red Devils. It certainly is no longer Red Devils pizza. Its a party spot for those in their late twenties to early thirties. No pizza is served there, but they make a Hennessey and coke that will knock you off your feet.

Red Devil, and even Vio's in Brightmoor had some of the best local pizza in that area. Little Ceasars and Dominos changed the game.

Vince's on Springwells bwt I-75 and Vernor is one of the last great old Italian neighborhood joints still going strong with a loyal following. Great pizza and above average everything else with a full Italian menu.

When we lived in our first house in Detroit, my husband I ate Red Devils pizza regularly! Sorry to hear it is no more. Does anyone remember a Stromboli's Pizzaria in the D?. I don't recall where it was, tho' we went there too, and it was very good. I have no idea if they are still around.

Ahhh....Vio's. One of the best gooey, greasy pizza joints in Brightmoor. The grease would just soak thru the paper bags they used. I miss them...

I heard that it turned into a gay bar.

Red Devil came in a distant second to Rina's in my neighborhood. I sort of hope that nobody makes a pizza that good anymore since the medical folks advise me against eating it.

Rina's, on Shaffer, I think, was a family business and I only remember there being daughters. Anybody have more details?

I second the opinion that Red Devil pizza had deteriorated. The last one I had there, maybe seven years ago, was so horrible I can still remember every detail. At that time, they were still doing a pretty good take-out business, but the dine-in portion was empty except for us.

Stromboli was on Plymouth and Fitzpatrick, just west of the train viaduct. The building is still there but no longer a restaurant.

Thanks Gaz...too bad it's gone. But nothing lasts for ever huh? All I can think about now is how badly I want some pixzza right now!

I was thinking about it so much I went and got some nice greasy slices from Greg's at 6 and livernois!

Always one of my favorites. Very different from any other pizza. From what I remember [[it's been over 30 years since I had it) it was thin-crusted and usually rather well-cooked, but not overly so. I only had it a small number of times.

Carlo's was another of my favorites. They were on the south side of Grand River a block or two east of Southfield. Dinos was pretty good too. Mama Mia's as well. For anyone in the Dearborn area, Demarcos has a great square pizza. The round is good, the square is great. On Schaeffer north of Ford Rd.

Aah, Mama Mia's! The one on Eight Mile just west of Evergreen?

I think they still are open, in Wolverine Lake. I went there last year, and they still make a good pizza. It's the same family, too.

Mama Mia's Restaurant

5 reviews Review Mama Mia's Restaurant
    [[248) 624-2648

1403 S Commerce Rd Wolverine Lake, MI 48390

Santino's Pizza on Warren just east of Outer Drive was the bomb back in the day!! Childhood memories...

urbanoutdoors...Thanks for the shout out to Gregg's. The original location [[across the street from the current store) was the first pizza I ever ate way back when they first opened in the early 60's. I haven't tried them in years.

Red Devil was always a cool spot...their veal parmesan and their lasgana were pretty good too as I recall.

The Red Devil Large was one of those 24" diameter pies.

Greggs slices are still good, just remember to open up the foil and unstick it from the cheese as soon as you get in your car or you'll be eating the foil once the cheese cools off.

Thats a bummer to hear about the Red Devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    The Red Devil Large was one of those 24" diameter pies.

Greggs slices are still good, just remember to open up the foil and unstick it from the cheese as soon as you get in your car or you'll be eating the foil once the cheese cools off.
    The cheese foil is the best part! Not to mention its only a 1.04 a slice!
    Its a random price but it works for my budget!

I tried Red Devil a few times after I moved to Rosedale Park 30 years ago, and I thought it was OK pizza, but really salty. We always preferred Maria's on Grand River-- they moved to Oak Park, then Ferndale, and I guess they are closed now.

There is a Mama Mia on Plymouth between Inkster and Middlebelt, and one on Beech Daly at Grand River. Santino's was on Novi Road and Nine Mile for a long time, and had that great Chicken Garlic Explosion pasta dish. Also, Diamond Jim Brady's is in Novi, or it was the last time I looked.

Quote Originally Posted by vetalalumni View Post
    Red Devil, and even Vio's in Brightmoor had some of the best local pizza in that area. Little Ceasars and Dominos changed the game.
    Wow! I had forgotten Vio's in Brightmoor even though I remembered Red Devil very well. Vio's was great. My folks often went to Leone's on Schaefer off of Grand River in the mid 60's but I'll bet they're long gone.

I just remembered another great pizza place on the SW side. Anyone else remember Vic's on McGraw? Last time we went there was about 15 years ago and they were getting ready to shut down and his daughters were going to try to open one out in the western burbs. They had the best crust bar none!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast