Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default All U.S. combat troops to leave Iraq by the end of the year.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011102...text|FRONTPAGE

I can see this being a big partisan fight.

I hope they occupy Detroit instead.

Great news! I'm not very optimistic, but hopefully we can get our troops home from Afghanistan soon as well!

Obama just locking up the 2012 election.

Motivation = Shades of sketch

Outcome = Awesome

Iraq Fallout = Uncertain

So would you rather him keep troops there spending trillions of taxpayer dollars over god know how long? Defense takes up the biggest chunk of the US budget with the Iraq and Afghan war already projected to cost 3 trillion dollars and rising. I don't care if he's just doing it for re-election, at least it's something that reduces the impact on America's already out of balance budget.

The next president damn sure had better keep us from entering another war without raising some damn taxes or else I predict we won't have a country worth protecting anymore. Just you see.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    So would you rather him keep troops there spending trillions of taxpayer dollars over god know how long?
    No, TKshreve said "Outcome = Awesome", right? I think TK was just recognizing the political machine for what it is.

this is good, get all the troops back home

but this isn't being done for political gain, they Iraqi's are making them leave, thats why there isn't a big brew-ha-ha over the withdrawl.... if Obama made a big deal about the withdrawl, and something went wrong there, its game over.....

it will be touted as an achievement closer to the election if all goes smooth in iraq

So would you rather him keep troops there spending trillions of taxpayer dollars over god know how long? Defense takes up the biggest chunk of the US budget with the Iraq and Afghan war already projected to cost 3 trillion dollars and rising. I don't care if he's just doing it for re-election, at least it's something that reduces the impact on America's already out of balance budget.

The next president damn sure had better keep us from entering another war without raising some damn taxes or else I predict we won't have a country worth protecting anymore. Just you see.
    I'll assume you've directed that reply to me, so I'll address it accordingly.

No, I would not want him to keep the troops there, for some reason unnamed by you. My simple comment suggested that his eventual fulfillment of this promise comes at a tricky time. I certainly think he deserves credit for acknowledging the non-stop cries regarding our troops, however it leads to many more questions:

Did we succeed with our original, and adjusted missions?

Will Iraq be self sufficient, and furthemore, will it develop into a long term ally to the United States?

I know the wars cost a lot. Don't insult my intelligence by suggesting I that I did not.

In the end, I have to question his motivation as either being genuine, or political posturing at a critical time in our society when every move a politician makes is brought into speculation.

I don't think we'll ever know the real reason, but [[again) I think it is a good decision for our troops and our nation.

Three things the war in Iraq accomplished:

A lot of profiteers made lots of money.
    The Christians who lived there have been forced out.
    Iran has benefited and gained influence in the region.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    I'll assume you've directed that reply to me, so I'll address it accordingly.

No, I would not want him to keep the troops there, for some reason unnamed by you. My simple comment suggested that his eventual fulfillment of this promise comes at a tricky time. I certainly think he deserves credit for acknowledging the non-stop cries regarding our troops, however it leads to many more questions:

Did we succeed with our original, and adjusted missions?

Will Iraq be self sufficient, and furthemore, will it develop into a long term ally to the United States?

I know the wars cost a lot. Don't insult my intelligence by suggesting I that I did not.

In the end, I have to question his motivation as either being genuine, or political posturing at a critical time in our society when every move a politician makes is brought into speculation.

I don't think we'll ever know the real reason, but [[again) I think it is a good decision for our troops and our nation.
    What I've heard is that Obama and the military wanted to keep 15,000 boots on the ground but ran into resistance from the Iraqi government. They lowered their sights to 5K - 10K but still no go. The US wanted immunity for our troops [[like in every other country we have troops stationed) where military justice handles prosecutions, not local authorities. Iraq said no. Time to negotiate ran out, so Obama announces the total pull-out.

The way its presented may be political posturing but the decision is basically one we were backed into.

149 of about 200 Iraqi parliament members voted in 2008 to kick all American troops out of Iraq by December 31, 2011. Senator Obama claimed that if the Iraq war was still going when he took office, ending it would be the first thing he would do. He told us "you can bank on it". Instead, he is dragging his feet as long as iraq will let him. Still, it's good to wrap this up.

Occurrence Guest

That's exactly why I say you should be able to quit the military any time you want, that way they really have to sell you on the "war."
    Last edited by Occurrence; October-22-11 at 11:23 AM.

I never saw any sense of going into Iraq in 2003 in the first place, and I'm glad we're leaving to Bush's timetable.Having squandered at least $1Trillion dollars and sacrificed the lives of 4500 Americans I think the final political defeat will be seen as ignominiously humiliating in the region and bode badly for future events. We have clearly demonstrated how weak we have become when we cannot negotiate with a so called "ally" to allow us to keep a token bridgehead presence in the area. We are leaving with zero gain for all our endeavors.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Senator Obama claimed that if the Iraq war was still going when he took office, ending it would be the first thing he would do. He told us "you can bank on it.
    Instead the cons[[conservatives) made him keep Our Soldier'sthere longer....

Remember this when you go to the polls in November Of 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Instead the cons[[conservatives) made him keep Our Soldier'sthere longer....

Remember this when you go to the polls in November Of 2012.
    As the Commander in Chief, he could have brought US troops home ASAP instead of keeping them there as long as the Iraqis allowed him to. Remember that Obama lied about ending the war when he promised, voted to appropriate funds for the Iraq war every time Bush asked him to, expanded the Afghanistan war and Pakistan bombing, commenced the bombing of Libya, and introduced US troops into Uganda; the latter two without consenting Congress. Remember, Obama is the winner of the Nobel Peace prize.

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank". -Barack Obama 2007

Edited to add: About that Iraq withdrawal -Solon
    Last edited by oladub; October-23-11 at 07:39 PM. Reason: added link to Solon article

Attachment 10976
    Margo Guryan/"16 Words"

Just heard another GOP politician voice concerns that the "early" withdrawal of troops might "ruin" the "progress" that has been made there. Back when we had journalists, and not talking heads, he would have been immediately challenged with the fact that the date was chosen by President Bush, and questioned about the "progress" he was referring to.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/10/us-military-leaving-iraq-but-not-the-region/1?csp=34news
    The Obama administration couldn't get Iraq to allow the US to leave 20,000 troop in Iraq on US terms so the Obama will add to the number of US troops in Kuwait instead.

Has any Rep. had the honesty to say something positive about the withdrawal of troops?

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    Has any Rep. had the honesty to say something positive about the withdrawal of troops?
    What exactly is some Republican supposed to say positive about the Obama withdrawal of troops? That Obama is dragging his feet as long as possible before removing those troops from Iraq, that Obama correctly did not settle for the terms the Iraqis demanded to keep troops there, and that Obama is increasing US troop deployment next door in Kuwait to offset the Iraqi drawdown? In other words, neocon Republicans could say something positive about Obama doing about what they would have done under the circumstances.

Republican candidates Paul, Johnson,and Huntsman are all more dovish than Obama. Maybe they could say, 'better late than never'. Ron Paul voted against giving Bush the say about putting troops into Iraq. Unlike Senator/President Obama, Paul never voted funds to keep them there and has always insisted they come home ASAP. Most Republicans are closer to Obama on this issue than to Paul. It is disingenuous for Republicans who would have done much the same thing criticize Obama.