Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What Will Sen. Mike Kowall, R-White Lake Township Legacy be?

It appears that he will be remembered as a craven, obsequious, bought-and-paid-for politician of the lowest caliber for his antics on the issue of the new International crossing.

I for one will send money to whoever runs against him in the future.

Kowall is your typical western Oakland County Republican. He's far-right on the social issues and hates government, except when government can be used to line the pockets of business interests who keep Kowall in office. Follow the money trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    Kowall is your typical western Oakland County Republican. He's far-right on the social issues and hates government, except when government can be used to line the pockets of business interests who keep Kowall in office. Follow the money trail.
    People like that prevent government from making the easy decisions, and ensure that government never gets the time or money to make the important ones. Then they walk away with the money.

We do have a particularly crumby legislature this session, don't we.

On Kowall in particular, what does he know about ecnomic development that got him to be the chair of the Economic Development Committee in the Senate, anyway? Honestly, this ultimately goes back to Richardville. Richardville is supposedly a good guy willing to listen to everybody, but this is ultimately a failure on his part for picking Kowall. Richardville ends up looking like a crappy leader, someone that no one is afraid of.

Looking up Kowall, I see he was most recently the Supervisor of White Lake Township [[a far-flung out-county burb) and before that in the state house, and apparently claimed that he grew up in Southwest Detroit the other day. More than I think of him as sinister I think of this guy being in WAY over his head, and it really came home to me, yesterday, when he made one of the stupidest comments I'd heard out of the Senate in a very long time. He was arguing against the "community benefits" [[compensation) for Delray, but was asking why Grand Rapids or [[fill in the city) wouldn't be getting them. Oh, I don't know, maybe, because the bridge is literally going to go right through and over Delray and not Grand Rapids? Yeah, this is the guy heading up "economic development" in the legislature.

I hate to say it, but the guy's a moron, bless his heart. He's not evil; he's just stupid.

You see, they all have time for late-term abortion bans [[something already illegal), cutting taxes on businesses and raising them for seniors, trying to ban domestic partner benefits, doing away with the ban on powerful firecrackers, etc...but when it comes to one of the largest projects this state has seen in decades that's been studied to death for nearly a decade, now, and backed by literally just about every organization in the state they all of a sudden get cold feet. I don't feel sorry for Snyder, either. He decided to hitch his wagon to the Republican Party when given his wealth he could have ran and won as an independent.
    Last edited by Dexlin; October-21-11 at 06:47 PM.