Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Tour of Historic Palmer Park and Apartment District, Saturday, October 22

Finally......

JOIN People for Palmer Park for an historic architecture tour of vast contrasts with proceeds benefiting the first stage of restoration of the historic log cabin in Palmer Park.

This guided walking tour will explore the history of Palmer Park, including the log cabin, Spanish bell, Campus Martius fountain, and the history and artistry of the adjacent National Historic Register apartment district, a neighborhood, once the epitome of grandeur that is now rebounding with major renovations amidst neglect and vacancies.
    The tour begins at the log cabin and ends at La Vogue apartment building, taking approximately an hour to complete. Tours will begin every 15 minutes, starting at noon with the last tour leaving at 2 PM. People for Palmer Park is hosting its second annual hayride in the park trails that same day as a tribute to fall. Hayrides will start at 3:45 pm and go until 5:45 pm. People for Palmer Park invites all from the community to attend the hayrides.
    Tickets for the historic tour are $10 in advance and $15 at the door. Tour booklet is included in the price of the ticket. Proceeds will benefit the first stages of the Palmer Park cabin preservation, including weatherization of the cabin to prevent further interior damage from the elements and wildlife, and cleaning out of the cabin, which has been inhabited by park wildlife.
    Senator Palmer, who donated his farm to the city of Detroit to create the public Palmer Park, contracted with the firm of George Mason and Zachariah Rice to design and build the log cabin as a summer home. The cabin, its rustic log bridge, a lighthouse and a larger pond were completed in 1885. All but the rustic bridge still exists in the park.
    Adjacent to this 296 acre city park is the Palmer Park National Historic Register apartment district, once a neighborhood of splendor that includes the work of some of Detroit's best architects. Built between 1924 and the 1950s, the apartment buildings reflect exotic architecture in the Egyptian, Spanish, Venetian, Moorish, Tudor and Mediterranean styles, as well as Art Moderne and Georgian.

http://events.r20.constantcontact.co...sbhopp1b2e8fcc

http://www.peopleforpalmerpark.org/

Oops, missed it! How did it go? I always remember 660 Merton as being the primo address due to the underground garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthophonic View Post
    Oops, missed it! How did it go? I always remember 660 Merton as being the primo address due to the underground garage.
    I thought it was quite amazing and have to thank all the volunteers. The tour even came with a 20 page booklet with pictures and a history of the different apartment buildings. We got inside two buildings including the last one under renovation, which was La Vogue at 225 Merton. They were redoing the apartments with new kitchen cupboards and granite countertops. Lots of revitalizaton. They even showed us the stables for the Detroit Mounted Police across Covington Drive from some of these apartments buildings. Aparently, the police have cleaned up a lot of drugs and crime from the area in the past couple years and crime's down. At the end, there was a hayride through the park and a campfire. A lot of people showed up. They plan to do it again at least once every year, so I'd definitely recommend checking it out next time.

It was a delightful tour!!! Beautiful weather...prepared tour guides...well researched background for each tour stop. The booklet we received was worth the price of admission! From what I've heard, about 80-100 people took the tours which went out in groups of about 12 every 15 minutes between noon and 2pm. The last stop of La Vogue was especially nice as we were able to see their progress on the building renovation [[which I had been watching since early this year)....this place is a beauty!! Nice touch serving the neighborhood's finest donuts from Dutch Girl Donuts with apple cider!! Well done, People for Palmer Park!!!

Glad to hear of the renewed interest in the PP apartments. I lived there in the early '80s when it was still a relatively happening neighborhood. It's a unique place in Detroit... I don't think there's a comparable area in the city that is exclusively apartments with that much architectural significance. [[possibly the Cass Corridor... oops... I mean Midtown)

What's good touring down at Palmer Park? Most of the Apts. are going, slummy and packed with squatters, crackheads and homosexuals! But the homes that used to be gated up to keep tresspassers from entering their property and get in the golf course. When I been there in the 80s it was fine place to live and play. There were a lot of Jews living there where Temple Israel was present. Now its gone so did the Jews. But the homes are well kept up.
    Last edited by Danny; October-26-11 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Most of the Apts. are going, slummy and packed with squatters, crackheads and homosexuals!
    Odd that... I always thought the categories were mutually exclusive??

Bring back the gays and the area would really take off again.

What's good touring down at Palmer Park? Most of the Apts. are going, slummy and packed with squatters, crackheads and homosexuals!...
    Who's the crackhead with a statement like this?

What's good touring down at Palmer Park? Most of the Apts. are going, slummy and packed with squatters, crackheads and homosexuals! But the homes that used to be gated up to keep tresspassers from entering their property and get in the golf course. When I been there in the 80s it was fine place to live and play. There were a lot of Orthodox Jews living there where Temple Israel was present. Now its gone so did the Jews. But the homes are well kept up.
    There were a few buildings that looked like they might have squatters, but most of them had regular people living in them. As Kathleen mentioned some were being worked on or had recently been fixed up. Like this one:

http://www.1001covington.com/introduction_graphics.htm

As an east sider... I had only ever been inside one of those apartments once, in the 1980s. I thought the area looked amazing. If ever an area justified "gated community" those apartment buildings do... slap a 10 foot iron fence around the neighborhood, and watch the redevelopment take off...

What's good touring down at Palmer Park? Most of the Apts. are going, slummy and packed with squatters, crackheads and homosexuals! But the homes that used to be gated up to keep tresspassers from entering their property and get in the golf course. When I been there in the 80s it was fine place to live and play. There were a lot of Orthodox Jews living there where Temple Israel was present. Now its gone so did the Jews. But the homes are well kept up.
    You are just a Homo-phobe aren't you Danny?
    Thank god the rest of us aren't missing Neda.......................
    She must be up in heaven with the rest of the gays you try to bash.
    "The most violent element in society today is ignorance" Emma Goodman
    [[Can you understand what this means)

[QUOTE=Danny;280131]What's good touring down at Palmer Park? Most of the Apts. are going, slummy and packed with squatters, crackheads and homosexuals! But the homes that used to be gated up to keep tresspassers from entering their property and get in the golf course. When I been there in the 80s it was fine place to live and play. There were a lot of Orthodox Jews living there where Temple Israel was present. Now its gone so did the Jews. But the homes are well kept up.[/QUOTE

Jewish people lived there in the 50's and 60's, Jewish yes, Orthodox no.

Temple Israel is reformed Judaism not Orthodox. Orthodox Jews do not move in an area to be near a Reformed Temple.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    There were a few buildings that looked like they might have squatters, but most of them had regular people living in them. As Kathleen mentioned some were being worked on or had recently been fixed up. Like this one:

http://www.1001covington.com/introduction_graphics.htm

^^^^^^^^WOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! those are sexy..I had no idea that existed. Really I guess I am really ignorant to all things in that area..I shall have to do some investigating and school myself a bit

Nice apt-- I mean a condo complex at the once Covington Apt Building. I was wondering who would buy in the area where strange people live?

Nice apt-- I mean a condo complex at the once Covington Apt Building. I was wondering who would buy in the area where strange people live?
    Anyone who is smart and does not want to live near you maybe?

There were people from the neighborhood helping on the tour and I thought they all seemed nice and not "strange". [[Whatever that means.) You will just have to go see for yourself Danny, if they have another tour next year.

I was asked by a couple of residents about the tour and they seemed pleased that it was happening!

For anyone interested in supporting the People for Palmer Park, consider attending this upcoming event:

Community Update meeting
    People for Palmer Park

DATE: Saturday, November 12, 2011
    TIME: 9 to 11 AM
    Enter at Quincy near McNichols

9 to 10 AM - COFFEE and NETWORKING
    Chat with and join PFPP committees
    Become an active PFPP member
    Connect with other Palmer Park enthusiasts

10 SHARP to 11 AM -PFPP PROGRESS TO DATE
    PFPP updates from the board and officers
    Details about annual meeting scheduled for April
    Next steps for PFPP and community partners

OR

Join Our Mailing List!
    People for Palmer Park
    www.peopleforpalmerpark.org
    info@peopleforpalmerpark.org

Kathleen...did ya take pictures? Make the switch to digital? lol

Patrick! Of course, I took photos...and yes, I have made the switch to a DSLR camera [[Canon Rebel T2i) earlier this year. But I still have a lot to learn about shooting quality photos on this type of camera. So I'm practicing a lot....

spent some time on the PFPP website...thier master plan looks mighty nice. I am sending some prayers [[and $) thier way. I sincerly hope they can make that all happen

Received this email today....

You are cordially invited to attend the UNVEILING of the PALMER PARK ENTRANCE
    MARKER and SCULPTURE!!
    The sculptural entrance marker is now complete, and the People for Palmer Park cordially invite you to attend the unveiling on November 29th at 7 PM at the Palmer Park stables at 910 Merrill Plaisance. Please forward this invitation to your neighbors as they are welcome to join us for the reception. RSVP by November 23 to Linda Taylor at taylin@mayor.ci.detroit.mi.us or 313-628-0912.

http://www.peopleforpalmerpark.org/index.html

I saw the recreation guys installing something from huge wooden crates this morning.

Wondered what it was.

My Mom's friend Mary Hughes lived in an apartment on Third for over 45 years until she moved this summer. For several years Mary noted that she was the only white tenant.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    My Mom's friend Mary Hughes lived in an apartment on Third for over 45 years until she moved this summer. For several years Mary noted that she was the only white tenant.
    Crystal: I thought of Mary and Dan when I was taking the tour. They hosted a poet named Rosemary Waldrip for a reading at Wayne State and then invited us all back to their place in Palmer Park. Do you recall the name of their building?