Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Need 1970's looking motel/hotel room

We need a motel or hotel room that looks like it's from the 1970's for a student feature shooting in Detroit in November. Any leads? --THANKS!

Not intended to be a joke BUT The Henry Ford has a recreation of a Holiday Inn motel room that might work if they allowed that type use.

Possibly the Shorecrest Motor Inn on Jefferson. Owned by the same nice family since the 1970's.

couple near 8 mile and woodward that might fit the need or 8 and the lodge.

King Richard on Van Dyke south of 14 or some shiathole on Groesbeck...plenty of motor lodges on that strip.

There are more than a few motels all along Telegraph that might fit your needs.

the Henry Ford automobile area is undergoing extensive renovations and is closed. Besides places mentioned you can also try Inkster. Stick to the old highways. Places like Michigan, Grand River, Woodward, and Gratiot have a few left.

Saranay Motel on Woodward in Royal Oak comes to mind.

Also, the 8-Wood Motel on 8 Mile and Woodward comes to mind as well.

Some other suggestions would the the Bali Motel or the Suez Motel, both on 8 Mile and Dequindre.

Detroit certainly isn't lacking in old skool motels [[the city/region was at its prime in the 1950s-1970s). They're in large supply if you look around hard enough.

No such thing as a 70's motel. The true motels I expect you're thinking of existed on the interstates before the development of the highway system. So, post-war may be more of what you're after. Hollywood Motel on Dix in Southgate has a cool exterior. Crest Motel on Fort at WGB is an even more interesting motor-lodge. But if you're shooting interiors, every filmmaker know it's best to build a set. How hard could that be? Four walls and a bed.

For God's sake, use a black light first before a scene.

boneshaker Guest

It's best to leave the 70s rest.... unless you were doing coke....

Quote Originally Posted by robtandersen View Post
    ... But if you're shooting interiors, every filmmaker know it's best to build a set. How hard could that be? Four walls and a bed.
    And shag carpeting. I second the black light. Add a LavaLite and you're good to go.

the black light is used to detect spoog stains

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    lol... does that explain why "splash 'n wipe" Naugahyde was so popular?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Na...ertisement.png

Quote Originally Posted by ArtDept View Post
    We need a motel or hotel room that looks like it's from the 1970's for a student feature shooting in Detroit in November. Any leads? --THANKS!
    I've got the perfect spot for you. The Temple Hotel in the Cass Corridor.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Ha, gnome - you've seen the same news reports I have. Disgusting, but what would you expect? There has to be a motel maid website out there somewhere, that probably has the most disgusting posts, EVER.

Wait a minute - "spoog" is the sauce that leaks from your Gyro's while you're watching TV in bed, right? [[dazed and confused).

Okay - found one.

Hotel in Tennessee, they used a couple of the rooms as half way houses for transporting prisoners. Bars on windows, creepy people abound. No lids on toilets meant things on the single wobbly storage shelf over it would fall in all the time. Someone escaped while we were there. Made for an interesting family reunion.

"Hotel in Springfield, decent Red Lion type. Got out of shower, wrapped myself in a fresh towel off the shelf, look in mirror and see that it's covered in blood. Fresh, bright red blood. I think it's mine, so I drop it and grab another. It's also covered in blood. Same with the next two. Not a really squeamish person, but seeing that you've wrapped your naked body in a towel covered with someone else's blood is enough to make most anyone creeped out. Room next door had same problem. Management could offer no explanation.

Hotel on Aurora, filming a "sleazy hotel" scene for a movie [[No, not THAT kind of movie). Room next door to where we're filming has a sign that reads "Do not bother new tenants! No drugs inside!" Shady characters constantly coming in from alley, see all the bright lights, cameras, cops, and all and turn and run. We need to move the bed out to film, and when they lift the mattress they find a crack pipe and a purple, ahem, "marital aid." You've never seen a room clear out so fast! Of course, it was so everyone could grab a camera and capture the moment. "

http://www.myballard.com/forum/topic.php?id=6656