Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The Ravines neighborhood

I have a friend who is looking to possibly move to The Ravines neighborhood in Southfield. How is the neighborhood?

Ravine Guest

How bad can it be?

LOL.... oh the irony...

Depends on the particular house, some [[probably most) are well kept up, some aren't. Houses there were built on large lots. To me, that area looks pretty good, not quite as good as the Bell Road area.

Property taxes in Southfield are high, from what I understand, city services are very good.

Yes property taxes are extremely high. Services are good, but when my house was assessed at around $83,000 [[SEV), I paid $5,000/year property taxes. I have a two bedroom home on a large lot. Many houses in the area were paying well over $10,000. Some people I know were paying $11,000 - $12,000 and there were stories of others paying $14,000/year in the same area where I live. I do not live in the Ravine area though.

Right now that should not be such a problem because property assessments have dropped, but in future years if assessments recover, look out - the tax bill will be enormous.

Are you referring to a specific neighborhood? If so where is it? 'The ravines' is a somewhat generic term. There are properties in Livonia and Farmington, along the Middle and Upper Rouge River and their tributaries that locals refer to as 'the ravines'. I am sure the term is used in Southfield too.

Generally they are rural and beautiful with forested lots leading down to the river sometimes in mini-canyons. If you like nature and quiet they are awesome and usually come with large lots. As a ravine dweller I can confirm this. There are few things more restful than to taking a chair down by the river and listening to water tumbling over the rocks.

Another area with dramatic ravine properties are those along the main branch of the Rouge in the westside of the City of Detroit. Brightmoor, for all its downsides, has some outstanding properties that could be had for a song. The ravine properties north of Six Mile are more stable.

The first thing to consider is where the house is in relation to the waterway. Some are built too low in the flood plains and are vulnerable to flooding.

At one time, the Ravines were considered one of the most exclusive subdivisions in Southfield. I rode by there a couple of weeks ago, and most houses were well kept, while others were in disrepair. Property taxes are ridiculous in Southfield I've been told. I know a guy who lives in Lathrup Village [[which borders Southfield), and his taxes are over 12K a year. No thank you. I don't care how good the services are.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; October-20-11 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Are you referring to a specific neighborhood? If so where is it? 'The ravines' is a somewhat generic term.
    There is a neighborhood on the north side of Nine Mile between Beech and Inkster specifically called The Ravines.

D_Town, the neighborhood is beautiful, perfect. The houses are beautiful and well-kept, the lots are spacious and woodsy. The proximity to the woods surrounding the Rouge River give it a country feel, and deer are seen often.

The neighborhood is quiet and secluded, and crime is not an issue. I would highly recommend it to your friend.

Even though Lowell was describing ravine areas in general, I think his description can be applied to The Ravines specifically:

Generally they are rural and beautiful with forested lots leading down to the river sometimes in mini-canyons. If you like nature and quiet they are awesome and usually come with large lots. As a ravine dweller I can confirm this. There are few things more restful than to taking a chair down by the river and listening to water tumbling over the rocks.

That SW part of Southfield, west of Telegraph and south of 10 Mile is very cool, it has a rural feel on Nine Mile, it reminds me of up north in areas. I go to an excellent nursery over there, I always enjoy being in that part of town.

I have been over to the Ravines in Southfield years ago when I was riding my bike 30 miles from Downriver area. It's looks pretty all covered with trees and beautifual homes. Now's its getting a bit ghetto-ized! I have seen some crazy folks doing somthing that they not suppose to do. I have gotten out of there right away. There are some wild aminals over there from deer to snakes to rabie carried Skunks. My cousin and his family live over there since early 2000s and doing fine. The Ravines in Southern area of Southfield is 70 to 80% black with a few Orthodox Jews, Caldeans and Asians and white middle class families. Taxes are extremely and dangerous high and you have to watch you back when walking down those roads even at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Now's its getting a bit ghetto-ized!
    Sorry Danny but I have to 100% disagree.

Thanks for reminding me how high Michigan real estate taxes are. My home in Henderson, NV, has an assessed value of 93k [[actual sale value around 200 or so), and the taxes are $1,400 a year. Add to that no state income tax, and I'm a happy camper.

Auto tags are sky high, though. Plates for my '09 Ford Escape run close to $300 a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    Sorry Danny but I have to 100% disagree.
    Oh its almost ghetto-ized alright! You don't see what going on beyond's people homes and businesses.

Danny, you were there once years ago. I'm not doubting that you saw something if you say you did, but an isolated incident does not a pattern make. What exactly did you see?

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    There is a neighborhood on the north side of Nine Mile between Beech and Inkster specifically called The Ravines....
    Go for a stroll with Google Maps.

Are you referring to a specific neighborhood? If so where is it?
    Somebody who says The Ravines and Southfield is only talking about one place: N of 9 mile and E of Inkster.

#SHS Class of 1987

The Ravines Subdivision was platted in the late 1950's and really built up during the Sixties. It was an area of custom very large ranches with huge lots.

The ravine effect is causes by the Rouge river tributary meandering between Nine and Ten mile east of Inkster. At Inkster the river tributary cuts under the road, with a small spillway and forms a large ravine area between Nine mile and Spring Valley Drive. In that area west of Inkster is Farmington Hills, it used to be just plain Farmington in the 1956-1962 when I lived on Nine mile third house west of Inkster north side of the street'

Danny; There have always been wild animals there, there were even horse farms on Inkster. Have friends who still live there, safe then safe now.

Our Lady Of Sorrows, Farmington class of 1960.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    How bad can it be?
    And here I thought this thread was by somebody who wanted to be your neighbor!

My fam lives near that area. If I were to go into the 'burbs, that would be a prime area for me. I actually looked at a home over there a year ago.

I really prefer the homes & lots in that area of Southfield to those in most of the inner ring 'burbs. Bigger lots, woods & water. You have to get deeper into Oakland County near the lakes [[Waterford, etc.) to get such nice scenery in an area that's still technically metro Detroit. But those areas are for people who don't mind driving and want more of a exurban/quasi-rural lifestyle. It's not exactly walkable like Berkley or Royal Oak.
    Last edited by English; October-20-11 at 07:08 PM.