Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Wright Hotel

Does anyone have any info on this place? I couldn't find much online besides a few pictures. I remember always seeing people sitting on the steps directly in front of a sign that said don't sit on the steps. The place seems to have "residents". I was just curious to any info or stories on the place.

I tried searching on here and even tried looking it up by address [[118 Columbia st., Detroit, mi) with no luck. If it's been mentioned before I apologize I couldn't find the thread.

According to the 1923 Detroit City Directory, 118-120 Columbia was the site of the Hotel Clements and James Rocco was listed as apparently its resident manager.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JROLLA View Post
    Does anyone have any info on this place? I couldn't find much online besides a few pictures. I remember always seeing people sitting on the steps directly in front of a sign that said don't sit on the steps. The place seems to have "residents". I was just curious to any info or stories on the place.

I tried searching on here and even tried looking it up by address [[118 Columbia st., Detroit, mi) with no luck. If it's been mentioned before I apologize I couldn't find the thread.
    I've wondered if it is similar to the COTS set up on Alexandrine.

The Google Streetview of the place is pretty hilarious.

It appears to be pretty much the last of the many low-rent residential hotels, many of them of dubious character, that once filled this area.

Name:  defiance.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  35.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The Google Streetview of the place is pretty hilarious.

It appears to be pretty much the last of the many low-rent residential hotels, many of them of dubious character, that once filled this area.

Name:  defiance.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  35.9 KB
    Ha, that's hilarious. That's exactly how I remember it from walking by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    According to the 1923 Detroit City Directory, 118-120 Columbia was the site of the Hotel Clements and James Rocco was listed as apparently its resident manager.
    I could have swore it was The Wright. I could be wrong. I couldn't find any info on the Clements either.

Quote Originally Posted by JROLLA View Post
    I could have swore it was The Wright. I could be wrong. I couldn't find any info on the Clements either.
    The latest Detroit Directory on-line is the 1928-1929 edition and on Page 2276 it lists

118-20 Columbia W, Clement Hotel, Rocco Jas

I noticed in the earlier 1920s Detroit Directories, the spelling varied between "Clements" and Clement".

It would not be surprising to find that the hotel changed ownership and names in more recent years, perhaps several times. Therefore your memory could be quite right.