Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default altered Detroit icon

Howdy Yesser's

I got cut off in traffic on my way to work this morning. The hoop-dee that did said cutting had the "I Lift Detroit in Prayer" bumper sticker on the rear.

I made a new version...Name:  action.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  71.9 KB

Shall I start printing?

Well, you struck a chord with me, man. My, how I hate that mentality of "fixin' it up with praying "

Me too. Praying solves nothing in my opinion. You might have a catchy marketing idea Hamtown.

You are correct. Prayer solves nothing. That's why we have rocket scientists, such as yourselves. Prayer is for honoring God -- eh, you know, "one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." [[in case you forgot your place in the scheme of things).

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Dan Bassett View Post
    You are correct. Prayer solves nothing. That's why we have rocket scientists, such as yourselves. Prayer is for honoring God -- eh, you know, "one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." [[in case you forgot your place in the scheme of things).
    Thanks, but speaking for myself, I am quite aware of my place in the scheme of things.
    Prior to the 1950's, America did too, but then they had to add "under God" to the pledge [[that showed those commies!).

Now, change it to "one nation, part of nature, with liberty and justice for most" and I could get behind that.

Ravine Guest

Some of us have never known prayer to solve anything. I'm not sure if I have seen that, or not.

The one thing of which I am sure is that it has never fucked up anything, or caused anyone any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Some of us have never known prayer to solve anything. I'm not sure if I have seen that, or not.

The one thing of which I am sure is that it has never fucked up anything, or caused anyone any problems.
    I'd say that religion has caused a lot of problems. Prayer is a function of religion.....isn't it ??

I think there is plenty of room for both. Lifting Detroit in prayer shows concern and can't hurt. People of prayer are often people of action. The act of prayer has given the strength that led to action. History is full of examples. Martin Luther King and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference shamed the Apartheid governments of the American south with prayers in public that powered the the civil rights movement.

I get the point many of you make and agree that prayer alone is no answer. It is still like the old joke about the guy who prays everyday to win the lottery and finally hears an exasperated voice of god booming, "Give me a break already. Buy a ticket."

Ugh, these discussions are rather foolish in my opinion.

The priest at my church [[Sweetest Heart of Mary) consistently speaks of not just talking the talk, but taking action and doing good works. I can only speak of the Catholic church, but if you think us Catholics are just sitting around and praying and hoping that things will just get better on their own you need to open your eyes. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Catholic church has been a great friend to the city of Detroit.
    Last edited by rjk; October-18-11 at 07:42 PM.