Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Fences down at Fort Wayne

I drove by Fort Wayne this morning and a huge portion of the fence along Jefferson was completely jacked and laying on the ground. Is there anyone here affiliated with the Fort who can give info on what happened?

What?!

Shit...

Thanks for this...I just bumped PlymouthRes on this.

Can't let this little breech grow into an full-scale invasion now.

We might have to Occupy the Fort...LOL.

This incident occured last Wednesday night. Apparently, the driver of the vehicle was GREATLY exceeding the speed limit, missed the turn, took out a tree and about 100 feet of barbed-wire fence.

I was told that the driver died from his resultant injuries and his passanger remains in critical condition.

The CoD has promised to repair the fence, but we do not have a date for that to happen as of yet.

Meanwhile, the Fort remains vulnerable to tresspass.

Res:

Instead of waiting for the City...can you determine the approximate cost to repair and do one of those internet fund raisers? I'll be the first to donate. It could take forever to get the City to do it.

Fort Wayne ready to be looted since the fence is gone!

[ATTACH]10936[ATTACH]

I took this today around 5:00
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    Res:

Instead of waiting for the City...can you determine the approximate cost to repair and do one of those internet fund raisers? I'll be the first to donate. It could take forever to get the City to do it.
    Good Idea, I'd donate and offer to help put up the new fence over the weekend.

Update:

I talked with the chairman of the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition today and he confirmed that the CoD is on it. I also spoke with the city attorney and the person in charge of the site, who were both there on Thursday morning and they apparently have the fence company coming out to do the work this week.

Thanks to both Blue and Detj72 for your very kind and generous offers. Unfortunatly, we are kind of at the mercy of the city on this one, as it is an insurance issue.

The good news is is that the police of all varieties [[State, County and City as well as Boarder Patrol) have increased their presence at the site, so the crooks seem to have been kept somewhat at bay for the time being.

I also feel bad that someone died in this accident, albiet the fact that he did it to himself. Apparently he "skimmed" the side of the tree [[to the far right in the picture) when he left the pavement. With the condition of Jefferson and the curve just east of the Fort entrance, he was bound to wipe out eventually.

It's refreshing to see people concerned about a situation like this.

When you look at that image...it is pretty curious.

He missed that guardrail...took out the fence, but went to the right of the tree instead of to the left...so the building is intact.

I always puzzled over crashes on the freeway with similar evidences. There can be all sorts of safety barriers, but drivers somehow find the gap through 'em and that ONE tree that does them in. Those seem to be from falling asleep at the wheel instead of high-speed insanity, but still.

Sincerely,
    John

Saintme,

Was your door ajar, or does it need alignment?!

Cheers!

I love how those who are so concerned about the fort, blatantly post the fact that is is open and vulnerable. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that there are those who watch this site who are less than honorable.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldlady View Post
    I love how those who are so concerned about the fort, blatantly post the fact that is is open and vulnerable. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that there are those who watch this site who are less than honorable.
    All computers in they're possession are at the pawn shop. I wouldn't sweat it.

Ah, but perhaps you didn't read the rest of PlymouthRes's post. He also said that police, including Homeland Security and the county browns and state blues have increased their patrols.

Or did you conveniently forget that in order to maintain your handle? Maybe you're grumpy because you choose to only see negatives? That cannot be healthy.

Cheers,
    John

as if a fence is the only thing holding back the looting hoards.....

like gun laws will remove guns from the criminals hands........

How will the proposed bridge impact the Fort?

I saw one plan for the proposed bridge that would locate it just west [[or south) of Fort Wayne, with a customs/welcome plaza area to the north of the fort.

That plan could have potential for Ft. Wayne, hopefully with an increase in traffic and visibility. The fort is a wonderful place, it's sad that the city has not come up with a plan to promote it.

I wonder that if many of the buildings were given away to potential commercial businesses with an agreement/lien on the buildings that they would have to be secured/roofed/renovated within a period of time and leased out for uses such as research, records storage, etc. that maybe some of the deteriorating buildings could be saved? It's just a thought I have had for years. I love Ft. Wayne, and would love to see it on the mend.

I was thinking along these lines while reading some articles about the pendind test vote on the bridge today. It would be great if the Fort could get some work done as part of the deal, similar to Belle Isle and the Grand Prix. I know, not really the same, but wishful thinking. At least try to give it a visible position instead of being tucked behind stuff, so that it will get some 'air time' from all the vehicles driving by.

Why not put together a crew to at least set the fence upright? It looks like seven posts are down or leaning. Then it will look better and not seem so open, and the CoD can dally its sweet way to the repair. That work crew we had at the Mound would make short work of that repair. Wow, those guys were amazing.

Or is it better to leave it open like that so the DPD knows they need to keep an eye on it?

PS oops I see, the repair is scheduled for next week, and insurance is involved, so no "interfering with the site." Insurance can hold things up unbelievably.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; October-19-11 at 07:22 AM.

the red truck you see in that photo is our guard. they are always on the property and use radios. on top of that, most of the buildings on the grounds have alarms. im not too concerned about theft because of this. the guard truck sits there by the break in the fence now.

i arrived the next morning right after it happened...the debris sitting where the driver was cut from the car included his floormats, his medication bottle, owners manual to the car, some cute stuffed animals...etc. im guessing it was a Mercury Mountaineer judging by the owners manual, and the chunks of headlights that i policed up from the grass. it also seems the person was from Southgate. or at least the car was.

the passenger was in critical condition as well.