Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

boneshaker Guest

Default Browns Fish and Chips

Does anyone remember?

Yes......my ma's old neighbor was a waitress there forever.

boneshaker Guest

either on Ford Rd or Greenfield in Dearborn.

boneshaker Guest

I miss George Wilson.. WWI veteran from Scotland.

The Dollar General on Greenfield S of Ford Rd is the site of the old restraunt.

We ate at Browns the very last night it was open back around 87/88. My late mother law worked there for a few years.Before that she was at Scotty Simpsons on Fenkall.
    By the way I was told another old Fish place closed.Anyone remember Hopes on Joy Rd?

What are the recommendations for current Fish and Chip shops in Detroit? I like Sir Cedrics in Windsor but when I visited this year I came away disappointed relative to previous times. I thought I got less fish in my batter for a higher price and less service attention. I haven't given up on it though because I enjoy visiting Windsor.

You have to try Scottys! Voted best in Metro for years.Not the greatest neighborhood,but well worth the drive!

The old Suzy-Q style Fish and Chips can be found at Blarney Stone Pub in Berkley and Duggan's in Royal Oak. If you ever find yourself in Saugatuk, a pub called Chequers has some good F and C too.

I miss Milroy's...

/hijack

Mikefmich,
    You stole my post.

Ordinary,
    I'm sorry. Can I send you a cookie?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Because you can never have enough dollar stores!

Oh, and I third Milroy's.

It had that funny box-like sign revolving. I went to church next to it. I think it was gone by 1979...

Default Bett and Jessies

Bett and jessies on Grand River in Redford still is great.

My grandparent used to take me there. My idiosyncratic grandpa would only eat out there an no where else.
    Fergies Downriver before it sold to new owners was just as good.

Browns the best fish and chips and the greatest coleslaw ,But when they moved to the big cafeteria on Greenfield, they lost that comfortable feeling.

I tried Scotty Simpsons.

It's ok, not the place to go if you want a little "soul" in your fish.

Capers used to have good Catfish, but their fish has gone downhill recently.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Pre Dollar General it was a Rite Aid.

Does anyone remember Mrs. Witherspoon who was a waitress there forever....forever up until she was 65-70 yrs old.

You'd likely have to be near or qualify for SS probably to remember.

I remember that old strip well. The Italian bakery, Color Tile, Brown's, the flower shop and greenhouse, the Chathams. The only thing left now is the old church and the Clark station...

I don't remember Browns, But I remember Hopes. That place was packed when I was a kid.

boneshaker Guest

Hopes is closed and vacant now..Scotty Simpson is hanging on by a thread....