Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Nice work Pam.

Okay, you're right.

But it is a tricky rule and most people misuse it much worse than I did.

Ravine Guest

Rb336, thanks for mentioning "impacted," which appeared in the original thread but deserves to be hung out to dry as many times as it takes to embarrass folks into cutting it out.
    The Merriam-Webster website recognizes it, but that doesn't mean they condone its use, and you & I both [[as well as Pam and, hopefully, many others) know it's bullshit.
    Heh. Such language abuse is, indeed, quite "concerning."
    You also cited the overly-precious "...years young." Thank you. I never would have thought of that one, but godnose I agree with you. That is beyond annoying, and it is always used in reference to someone who is old as hell and probably proud of it.
    But, you used "affected" where you should have used "effected." Still a good day at the plate, slugger.
    Johnlodge cited another one good for inducing teeth-grinding: "sea change." Using that one deserves a slap hard enough to leave a week-long handprint on the face of the speaker.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine1958 View Post
    Not so much words to eliminate, but one word usage abuse that really bugs me:

their - The Smith's are proud of 'their' home. - Ownership
    there - Put the box over 'there.' - Place or position
    they're - 'They're' going to get wet out in the rain. - Possesive cunjunction of 'They are'

Please people learn the proper word to use!
    ...and, people, when you're done doing that, please learn to spell "possessive" and "conjunction."

[[Now that I think about this, isn't that actually a contraction?)
    Last edited by Bearinabox; June-05-09 at 09:45 PM.

Many of the partisans on this forum appear to be impacted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    ...and, people, when you're done doing that, please learn to spell "possessive" and "conjunction."

Sure is. And I missed my opportunity to whine about it, while I looked up this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkO87mkgcNo

Ravine Guest

East Detroit, you sly dog. That post-before-last is really funny.

And here, we would not have thought that colons had anything to do with the matter.

ccbatson Guest

I just realized that this thread is a great relief valve for those with anal spelling and grammar compulsions....excellent.

Ravine Guest

Cc, spelling & grammar beefs find their way into the thread, naturally, but usually, it's more about words & phrases which find their way into our cultural lexicon and, despite their unworthy, misguided, pompous, or otherwise linguistically deviant nature, "catch on" to the extent that they temporarily become little pets for various persons, particularly within the media. In addition, simple over-usage is grounds for Our Derisive Scorn.

One might say that these words & phrases befoul the zeitgeist, but then one would be using one of the very terms which we seek to mercilessly banish.

Surely, Cc, given the particular political & social wavelengths to which you cleave, you have heard a few of them, yourself.

You may, in fact, even be partially responsible for some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    East Detroit, you sly dog. That post-before-last is really funny.

And here, we would not have thought that colons had anything to do with the matter.
    Yes, it's all about their colons and their matter.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    I just realized that this thread is a great relief valve for those with anal spelling and grammar compulsions....excellent.

I just realized that NON DETROIT is a great relief valve for those who need anal expulsions....excellent.

Of course, once their colons become impacted, it turns into a very serious matter.

Here's to an Elvis on the throne style aneurysm for all the partisans.

cheddar bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Has any team come back from 0-3 to win a 4 game series? Trivia question.
    The 2004 Boston Red Sox did it after no team had ever done it in 100+ years.

One or two hockey teams did it, but it's hockey so it doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar bob View Post
    The 2004 Boston Red Sox did it after no team had ever done it in 100+ years.

One or two hockey teams did it, but it's hockey so it doesn't matter.
    I believe that the Maple Leafs came back to win the Cup being down 0-3 vs the Red Wings, in the 40s or 50s, not positive though...

ccbatson Guest

Over analysing [[pun intended)...whether intended or not, this is a great thread to absorb some of the distracting focus on minutia and allow the concepts to be discussed without debating about the spelling and grammar.

Ravine Guest

*sigh*
    Well, whatever you say, Cc. I guess the thread is whatever it feels like it is to whoever stops in.
    As you may see, I am trying to be all Zen about it. Think of it as a new kinder, gentler Ravine. [[Bullshit. More like a tired, apathetic Ravine.)
    I also noted that the thread has been used to absorb some distracting focus on sports trivia, dammit.

cheddar bob Guest

Who was the first winner of the AL MVP award?

Ravine Guest

A guy who was even more of an irascible prick than you are, Cheddar, mon ami: Ty Cobb.

Now behave. You're married, now. You had better practice letting go of that urge to Have Fun.

cheddar bob Guest

You had to look it up, didn't you? Very few people are bigger assholes than me, but I may have to defer to Cobb's legendary assholism.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post

Gad, now I am truly embarrassed! What a sad commentary on how reliant I've become on spell-checking software.

Mea culpa!

ccbatson Guest

I love the fact that this thread exists...nuff said [[oops, isn't that one of the target phrases? Oh well...oops, there's another).

Ravine Guest

No, Cc, "'nuff said" is not one of them. We don't hear that one used endlessly & repetitively [[heh!,) nor do we hear it used in situations where it does not apply, and it is not a hideous, aberrant massacre of proper English.
    Also, it was a trademark slogan of the Merry Marvel Marching Society, and is therefore exempt from scorn.
    Perhaps you also fondly remember, "This One's Got It All!!"

"end of the day"

"moving forward"

"a whole host"

"in a lot of ways"

"Closer than wholesale"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast