Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Juction ave railroad bridge

Federal funds were awarded to Michigan about a year ago for constructing a new railroad bridge over Junction ave in Detroit to seperate passenger train traffic from freight traffic. I can't find any updates on whether or not construction has started on the bridge. Any updates would be much appreciated.

The last time I took the train, it took about 45 extra minutes to get through this area because we were completing with CN freight trains coming from Canada. I'm not exaggerating either.

What they aren't saying in the news is that delays of a hour or more are common between Detorit and Chicago. The improvements they are making will reduce overall travel time by a hour or more.

I think I read somewhere on SEMCOG's website [[whose commuter train will also use this rail) that the West Detroit Connection track won't begin construction until early next year. Yeah, this will be the single biggest improvement for the line in this area.
    Last edited by Dexlin; October-16-11 at 11:29 PM.

I think about our train over-passes and bridges and wonder when they might be replaced. Some of them are very old and worn [[looking). The one that runs over Warren and grand river literally creaks when trains go over it. That Junction one is made of concrete over steel right? Where not many built in the late 40's or so. Any info on this?
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-16-11 at 12:49 PM.

One has to remember that most of the I-94 bridges between Conner Ave. on the east and I-96 on the west have NOT been rebuilt... while those farther east and west have been. This is because of the often delayed and much talked about $1 billion + expansion of I-94 to 4 lanes between those 2 interchanges.

I remember recently that the decaying Van Dyck bridge had part of the roadway repaired, rather than a rebuild.

Perhaps this railroad bridge [[which lies east of the I-94/I-96 interchange) is delayed for this reason.

Yeah, I thought about that - like how can an entire train overpass be taken down for repair much less replacement. That would bring freight and Amtrak to a halt. Not to mention the funding.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    One has to remember that most of the I-94 bridges between Conner Ave. on the east and I-96 on the west have NOT been rebuilt... while those farther east and west have been. This is because of the often delayed and much talked about $1 billion + expansion of I-94 to 4 lanes between those 2 interchanges.

I remember recently that the decaying Van Dyck bridge had part of the roadway repaired, rather than a rebuild.

Perhaps this railroad bridge [[which lies east of the I-94/I-96 interchange) is delayed for this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yeah, I thought about that - like how can an entire train overpass be taken down for repair much less replacement. That would bring freight and Amtrak to a halt. Not to mention the funding.....
    Yes, it's almost as though they would have to add a new bridge just slightly to one side of the existing one, and remove the old ones in its' entirety once the new one is built. Not sure if that's plausible... but it would make sense if they did it. Those train bridges are very different from the normal vehicular bridges, and may take longer to construct.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Yes, it's almost as though they would have to add a new bridge just slightly to one side of the existing one, and remove the old ones in its' entirety once the new one is built. Not sure if that's plausible... but it would make sense if they did it. Those train bridges are very different from the normal vehicular bridges, and may take longer to construct.
    You're right, Gistok. That's exactly what they would do. A rail company would never shut down a line for up to a year or more if they could help it.
    Here in Windsor, Canadian Pacific kind of did it when they created subway for Howard Ave a couple years ago. IIRC, they basically shifted the tracks to the north a little, shored up the earth walls and began excavating a new road on the south side of the tracks. When it was deep enough, they put in the permanent bridge, shifted the tracks south back on to it's original alignment and the bridge, and then excavated the north side.

I know this is a different situation, but it still shows it can be done. Is this where there's 5 steel bridges just north of McGregor St? If so it shouldn't be "too" difficult to do. Track gangs/MOW crews can do some amazing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    I think I read somewhere on SEMCOG's website [[whose commuter train will also use this rail) that the West Detroit Connection track won't begin construction until early next year. Yeah, this will be the single biggest improvement for the line in this area.
    You probably got your information here:
    http://smcg.informz.net/SMCG/data/im...a2d2update.pdf

Thanks for the feedback.

I went to Google street view to look at a number of RR overpasses inside the Boulevard. Aside from the graffiti, they seem to be holding fairly well. The one on 20th just south of Vernor looks pretty shabby, and rust has attacked the one on Warren just west of Grand River. I wonder who inspects RR viaducts in the first place.

The companies that own the lines, of course. So that probably means they never get inspected. lol

Newbie on rr construction here. When a rail overpass is reconstructed, what is the most typical way of doing so? I know a few have said constructing the new one next to it and demolishing the old one, but that seems like it wouldn't be a possibility in many areas where the railway is intermingled with traffic or there simply is no room to do so? Obviously shutting the rail line is much different than shutting a road as there is not simple detour a mile or two out of the way.

Mikeg19 - On Google Earth, I searched for Junction St Detroit, MI. Just by chance, it always takes you right to the location of the existing railroad bridge. North about 200 feet is an abandoned bridge and I think this is the proposed new bridge because it is takes you directly to the Detroit Amtrak station and avoids the S curve in the track which is about a half mile to the east. Navigating this S curve with freight trains on adjacent tracks took FOREVER. I litterally could have walked along side the train and kept up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWYV4wduAo8

Riding Amtrak in Southwest Detroit on the way to Detroit's Amtrak station.

^^ Mikeg19-- Rebuilding a rail overpass is a nightmare! In my Dad's old neighborhood, they had to build a temporary spur line and trestle to pass over Newburg road just south of Cherry hill in Westland, before they could demolish and then rebuild the existing bridge-- If you zoom in on that rail intersection with Google maps, etc. you can still see the scars of of the temporary spur and trestle just to the south of the new rail overpass.
    Last edited by Redleg81; October-20-11 at 10:26 AM.

ljbad89 - Great video of the S curve that the new bridge may eliminate. I like how you can almost reach out and touch some of the buildings on that stretch.

I searched on SEMCOG's website for update on the West Detroit Connection but found nothing. Construction was scheduled to start early this spring. Have any forum members taken Amtrak through Detroit that can confirm whether or not construction has started between Dearborn and Detroit?

The Junction project has been around for a very long time. Ultimately it is up to MDOT and the owner of the railroad to spend the money. I am not sure if passenger transportation or intermodal staff are in charge of it. I hope they get their act together soon as the feds are getting very impatient regarding projects that do not move forward and have been defunding them.

Update from SEMCOG website regarding the West Detroit Connection Track Project. Honestly, I think it will shave off 30 minutes in some cases.

West Detroit Connection Track Project
    This rail infrastructure project will shave about ten minutes off the travel time in the Ann Arbor-Detroit commuter rail corridor. Agreements with the host railroads have either been executed or are in final negotiations. Construction of the West Detroit Connection Track is expected to begin in Spring 2014.

http://www.semcog.org/PrinterFriendly.aspx?id=91793

Looks like they are finally starting on the West Detroit Track project. The Englewood Flyover in Chicago has been complete and will eliminate delays for Amtrak trains heading to Detroit from Chicago. Amtrak trains will no longer be delayed by freight and Metra commuter trains heading North into Chicago.
    West Detroit connector rail project begins this week
    http://West Detroit connector rail p...gins this week

Quote Originally Posted by bibs View Post
    Looks like they are finally starting on the West Detroit Track project. The Englewood Flyover in Chicago has been complete and will eliminate delays for Amtrak trains heading to Detroit from Chicago. Amtrak trains will no longer be delayed by freight and Metra commuter trains heading North into Chicago.
    I couldn't get that link to work; try this:

http://www.masstransitmag.com/press_...project-begins

Thanks professorscott. Found this well done map showing the history of the passenger train lines in Detroit.
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...9c9&dg=feature

Quote Originally Posted by bibs View Post
    Thanks professorscott. Found this well done map showing the history of the passenger train lines in Detroit.
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...9c9&dg=feature
    I wonder why the Fort Street station was omitted?

Slow progress is being made in passenger rail service. This article also does mention commuter rail service.
    Detroit connection to speed passenger services

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/i...-services.html