Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Kelsey Hayes Wheel Company

Does anyone here know much about the Kelsey Hayes wheel company? I ask because I have an old ashtray in my posession that says the following on it: "Kelsey Hayes Wheel Company, Foundry Div. First Iron Poured August 1935". It was my grandfathers and I now own it and I was simply curious as to some additional information about it.

Thanks!

That was interesting and I don't even own the ash tray

That was an interesting read.
    This was the K-H factory in Windsor, it was served by the Essex Terminal Railway and IIRC was the last on line industry for their circa 1912 factory branch. After K-H closed up they lifted the rails.
    It's now Valtri Stamping.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=windsor...25.23,,0,-8.16

It was a cool looking place when I was a kid. The saw toothed roof section the camera is pointing at was all glass. Three rail lines came on a curve from the south across the field [[where other wearhouses and cool old brick places used to be) and entered the plant where the truck receiving bay is today, and 2 went straight into where the single bay door is closest to the camera.

Kelsey-Hayes was located on McGraw near Livernois, some of it is still there as you will see "Kelsey-Hayes" painted on some of the old structure on top of the roof if you explore the North side of McGraw. They recently demolished the former Kelsey-Hayes building across the street on the South side of McGraw. I believe that Detroit Zack [[Detroit Yes member) has a picture of the painting. Post it Zack!

i think the old water tower visible from 275 in romulus is at an old kelsey hayes facility.
    lucas varity sold the brake business to TRW...