Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default We thought we won: LAX

Recently club LAX has been "shut down" due to the fact that they were taking advantage of a liquor license loophole to stay in business and was called out by the state.

There have been some rumblings lately however that club LAX is now securing their full time liquor license and will be opening up under the facade of an "upscale dining establishment". Anyone actually buying this load of BS? I would much rather deal with "Occupy Detroit" then have to fear for my life in my own neighborhood.

I'm not buying it. F**k LAX. They have already established that they are not the kind of owners who should be trusted. They were given the benefit of the doubt- and then they abused that privilege by hosting uncontrolled, illegal parties by cloaking them as "charity" events. What a load. Shut that place down. Seriously, the legit business owners/bar operators in this town should be raging.

I thought LAX was an airport...

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    That was my gut instinct when I read the title of this thread. Anyway, if they don't get a proper liquor license, will it be Ex-LAX????

True, but if you fly there right now you can hit Detroit Bar's 10th Anniversary Party tonight & complete the Circle Of Confusion;
    http://detroitbar.com/events/detroit...versary-party/

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJ View Post
    True, but if you fly there right now you can hit Detroit Bar's 10th Anniversary Party tonight & complete the Circle Of Confusion;
    http://detroitbar.com/events/detroit...versary-party/

Now that's funny....

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitIrishK View Post
    Recently club LAX has been "shut down" due to the fact that they were taking advantage of a liquor license loophole to stay in business and was called out by the state.

There have been some rumblings lately however that club LAX is now securing their full time liquor license and will be opening up under the facade of an "upscale dining establishment". Anyone actually buying this load of BS? I would much rather deal with "Occupy Detroit" then have to fear for my life in my own neighborhood.
    Interestingly enough, because LAX has been shut down, the owners are now offering the space to occupiers for bathrooms, meetings, etc.

I guess the enemy of my enemy is my friend?

Quote Originally Posted by socks_mahoney View Post
    Interestingly enough, because LAX has been shut down, the owners are now offering the space to occupiers for bathrooms, meetings, etc.

I guess the enemy of my enemy is my friend?
    Don't let them fool you. They are trying to garner support with people who have no idea what they are about or what they have done to us. If you are an OccupyDetroit person, with little to no clue about the way of life in the city, and you see a business person claiming to be "oppressed" by the city of the Detroit, you would sign a petition to have them open back up too.... It's a weak attempt.

me three...

Not that I've ever tried to apply for a liquor license, but don't you have to pass some sort of background check, and doesn't the state have some discretion to deny it? If they've had so many complaints and arrests and have obviously been abusing a loophole in the law, you'd think they wouldn't get a permanent license. Not to mention, what happens when the liquor board asks where the money came from to renovate that place... I think everyone has a hunch about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
    Not that I've ever tried to apply for a liquor license, but don't you have to pass some sort of background check, and doesn't the state have some discretion to deny it? If they've had so many complaints and arrests and have obviously been abusing a loophole in the law, you'd think they wouldn't get a permanent license. Not to mention, what happens when the liquor board asks where the money came from to renovate that place... I think everyone has a hunch about that.

Where??? Is rub just a "front"?

We are hoping the MLCC takes all of these things into consideration on our behalf. LAX had a "community meeting" tonight, which basically consisted of him getting petition signatures from all of our "occupiers" [[people who don't live in our community) to get them their liquor license.

Rub currently still rents the space to them.

Fu#k LAX, and the damn losers camping in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Where??? Is rub just a "front"?
    Doesn't Rub just rent them the space, and LAX's owners did all the renovating? If everything's legit, more power to them. But so far they haven't had made a good impression.

MLive is reporting today that LAX owner Omar somebody has posted an online petition on change.com pleading for signers to help Detroit Rise by having LAX get a liquor license. 85 people have signed the petition do far.

And Omar's facebook response:

"DETROIT THIS IS SHAM THAT WE STILL HAVE SEGREGATION IN THE NEW MILLENNIUM I WONDER WHAT DRIVES YOUR RACIAL SPIRIT THIS MUST !STOP!!! EVERYONE LETS PRAY FOR HER SHE DOESN'T KNOW JESUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"

Can someone explain to me how the mlive article was racist? smh

Default Two Can Play at That Game

The Michigan Liquor License hearing is later this week to approve their liquor license.

Let's see if we can beat them to 500 signatures.

[[1) Click here to sign the petition [[complete with video of fight on Adams!)
    [[2) Tell 5 friends and tell them to DO IT NOW. THE HEARING IS THIS WEEK.

CY
    Last edited by corktownyuppie; October-22-11 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitIrishK View Post
    And Omar's facebook response:

"DETROIT THIS IS SHAM THAT WE STILL HAVE SEGREGATION IN THE NEW MILLENNIUM I WONDER WHAT DRIVES YOUR RACIAL SPIRIT THIS MUST !STOP!!! EVERYONE LETS PRAY FOR HER SHE DOESN'T KNOW JESUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"

Can someone explain to me how the mlive article was racist? smh
    For a business owner he doesn't seem to articulate his responses very well... or even professionally. So sad...

I hope they don't get their license , a night club in that area is the last thing the people in GCP need, if that place opens it will drive people away from living there , like an early posted said we do not need another mandee's or Barts, we already know where that will lead . History will repeat itself .
    There are plenty of bars in the area already, a dance club is NOT what that area needs !

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    The Michigan Liquor License hearing is later this week to approve their liquor license.

Let's see if we can beat them to 500 signatures.

[[1) Click here to sign the petition [[complete with video of fight on Adams!)
    [[2) Tell 5 friends and tell them to DO IT NOW. THE HEARING IS THIS WEEK.

CY
    Just signed. The shots at the end of that video were about 5 feet from me when I was getting into my car that night.

The guy with the white sweatshirt that makes the gun sign at the corner at 4:24 and walks back across the street is the guy that was shooting up in the air.
    Last edited by Islandman; October-22-11 at 07:42 PM.

Good news: When I went to change.org [[not .com as was stated in an earlier post) and searched on LAX, corktownyuppie's petition came up second in the search results with 62 signatures. Bad news: when i went to the second page of search results and found LAXs petition, they have 123 signatures currently. Seems like corktownyuppie needs a little more detroityes love, y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Good news: When I went to change.org [[not .com as was stated in an earlier post) and searched on LAX, corktownyuppie's petition came up second in the search results with 62 signatures. Bad news: when i went to the second page of search results and found LAXs petition, they have 123 signatures currently. Seems like corktownyuppie needs a little more detroityes love, y'all.
    I could always use a little more love

Sad thing is, 100 of the 123 signatures on the LAX petition probably comes from their employees. Please support the petition...

http://www.change.org/petitions/state-of-michigan-liquor-control-commission-reject-club-lax-liquor-license-2

I signed!

Stromberg2

We are catching up to Omar's petition. Let's keep it going!

I changed my facebook status yesterday afternoon and immediately saw 10 of my friends sign in the next few hours. Can you imagine if everyone did that?

Here's what it said:

in a very short time, I've seen Downtown Detroit turn into an awesome place where people feel safe biking, jogging, and walking to bars. Just read the petition...it'll explain itself. I mean, when the club has to resort to offering the "Occupy Detroit" crowd restroom usage just to get signatures on their petition, c'mon. If you come down for Tiger games or Lions games or the theater or Greektown or just want to see Detroit continue to come back...
    http://www.change.org/petitions/stat...quor-license-2
    Not gonna twist any arms...but if you like the direction this party of the city is heading and don't want to see it derailed, then just do it. Seriously, Omar, you couldn't have made it a blues bar with great steak or something??

Cut off for signed petitions is going to be tomorrow afternoon. Sprint to the finish!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast