Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Espn zone detroit ?

I know this has been covered on this site before , but I think it should be revisited .
    With all the awesome Winning teams in Detroit and this being one of THE most sport friendly towns in the nation, Why isn't there a ESPN zone within walking distance of all the sport stadiums ? .. Before you all jump on me about we don't need it because we have all the other AWESOME bars , which I frequent and LOVE, I do believe in keeping Detroits money in Detroit . However , I was watching ESPN and they were broadcasting from the ESPN ZONE in LA and I visited their site and according to their site there are only 2 ESPN ZONES and both in Southern California ? they don't even have a Football team in LA , SD yeah ,and I've lived in LA ! Unless its Lakers , most people in Southern California could care less about sports UNLESS its USC or UCLA , because 99% of the people that live out their are from somewhere else and support teams from their home states .I just think and ESPN ZONE would work well here and fit in well for the tourist , without much competition to the local bars ? any thoughts ?

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    I know this has been covered on this site before , but I think it should be revisited .
    With all the awesome Winning teams in Detroit and this being one of THE most sport friendly towns in the nation, Why isn't there a ESPN zone within walking distance of all the sport stadiums ? .. Before you all jump on me about we don't need it because we have all the other AWESOME bars , which I frequent and LOVE, I do believe in keeping Detroits money in Detroit . However , I was watching ESPN and they were broadcasting from the ESPN ZONE in LA and I visited their site and according to their site there are only 2 ESPN ZONES and both in Southern California ? they don't even have a Football team in LA , SD yeah ,and I've lived in LA ! Unless its Lakers , most people in Southern California could care less about sports UNLESS its USC or UCLA , because 99% of the people that live out their are from somewhere else and support teams from their home states .I just think and ESPN ZONE would work well here and fit in well for the tourist , without much competition to the local bars ? any thoughts ?
    Frankly, the ESPN Zone in Chicago was big, expensive, and sucked. I think the concept - basically a super-sports bar - is being done all over, from Hockeytown Cafe and some of the Greektown spots now sporting massive HD televisions, etc., to the Baily's and Cicciarelli's and Champs, etc., in the 'burbs. It would be a curiosity, but I don't think it would stick.

The ESPN Zone at Baltimore's Inner Harbor closed due to lack of tourists so how is Detroit going to make it? These themed restaurants like Planet Hollywood are okay for a while but at the end of the day it's the regular customer on a Tuesday night in February that decides if a place is going to make it.
    If any themed restaurant would ever be successful it would be a Motown or Detroit music theme, something that is actually unique to the city.

Disney closed most of their locations [[NY, Washington, DC, Baltimore, Chicago, and Las Vegas, Denver, Atlanta) in the past few years.

All ESPNZone locations, except the two in LA, were closed last year.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The ESPN Zone at Baltimore's Inner Harbor closed due to lack of tourists so how is Detroit going to make it? These themed restaurants like Planet Hollywood are okay for a while but at the end of the day it's the regular customer on a Tuesday night in February that decides if a place is going to make it.
    If any themed restaurant would ever be successful it would be a Motown or Detroit music theme, something that is actually unique to the city.
    Or maybe something like a Hard Rock Cafe...?

Ya know what would really go over great here? .........

^^
    Yep...does it start with Cheesecake?

Stromberg2

I'd prefer a Buffalo Wild Wings.

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    ^^
    Yep...does it start with Cheesecake?

Stromberg2
    Strange... I was going to say Big Boy.

Quote Originally Posted by JROLLA View Post
    This.

But let's be honest, downtown Detroit and metro Detroit in general have PLENTY of sports bars.

ESPN Zone is not going to happen in Detroit or its downtown. It had ran terribly! and not making much money.

I remember going there for breakfast after 12 hrs of traveling for my 7th grade trip to DC...awful breakfast! Not surprised they're gone.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Strange... I was going to say Big Boy.
    I was thinking moreso a House of Blues but I digress....

Wow thanks for the input , I guess you guys are right , even though Detroit is a big sports town if the place is run bad nothing will help . @ Detroit stylin, I think i remember some chatter, before the Super bowl, about a House of blues possibly being put in a great spot , the old theater down the street from Hard rock cafe between Woodward and Gratiot ? I can't remember the name right now , but that old theater would be a great location .

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    I think i remember some chatter, before the Super bowl, about a House of blues possibly being put in a great spot , the old theater down the street from Hard rock cafe between Woodward and Gratiot ? I can't remember the name right now , but that old theater would be a great location .
    The National Theatre

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I would love to see this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by JROLLA View Post
    There was an article probably almost a year ago about them having plans in the future for a restaurant downtown. I wonder if there has been any movement at all.

I think most of these large chain bars have very specific criteria for approving locations. traffic, parking, socio economic status of residents. BWW theirs it on their website
    Unfortunately unless there is a game or some other thing happening downtown a large BWW will not do the volume they need to stay open and be successful. MAybe up closer to Wayne but still doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    There was an article probably almost a year ago about them having plans in the future for a restaurant downtown. I wonder if there has been any movement at all.
    I'd love it. I wonder how many people would show up for UFC viewing. Lord knows I would.