Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Manufacturing Sector Hiring...But They Need More Braniacs

Manufacturing Sector Hiring...But They Need More Brainiacs

Of course, if they were smart enough to do those jobs, they'd probably be smart enough not to reject a $28/hr. contract, either. Oh well, sometimes you just gotta learn things the hard way.

U.S. manufacturers are failing to fill thousands of vacant jobs, surprising when 14 million people are searching for work.

Technology giant Siemens Corp., the U.S. arm of Germany's Siemens AG, has over 3,000 jobs open all over the country. More than half require science, technology, engineering, and math-related skills.

Other companies report job vacancies that range from six to 200, with some positions open for at least nine months.

Manufacturing is hurt by a dearth of skilled workers.

"What we have been saying for quite a while is that even though there is a high unemployment rate, it's very difficult to find skilled people," said Jeff Owens, president of ATS, a manufacturing consulting services company.

Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post

Of course, if they were smart enough to do those jobs, they'd probably be smart enough not to reject a $28/hr. contract, either. Oh well, sometimes you just gotta learn things the hard way.U.S. manufacturers are failing to fill thousands of vacant jobs, surprising when 14 million people are searching for work.

Technology giant Siemens Corp., the U.S. arm of Germany's Siemens AG, has over 3,000 jobs open all over the country. More than half require science, technology, engineering, and math-related skills.

Other companies report job vacancies that range from six to 200, with some positions open for at least nine months.

Manufacturing is hurt by a dearth of skilled workers.

"What we have been saying for quite a while is that even though there is a high unemployment rate, it's very difficult to find skilled people," said Jeff Owens, president of ATS, a manufacturing consulting services company.
    This is about the third or fourth time I've seen an article like this. My question is... what is the unemployment picture like for those with degrees or backgrounds in "science, technology, engineering, and math-related skills." I'm going to bet that they don't make up a large portion of that 14 million.

My question is... what is the unemployment picture like for those with degrees or backgrounds in "science, technology, engineering, and math-related skills." I'm going to bet that they don't make up a large portion of that 14 million.
    That's the problem. We need to take the 14 million without those skills and find a way to convert them into the people with those skills. It's the only way the unemployment problem will go away.

That means training. Training costs money. And there's your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    That means training. Training costs money. And there's your problem.
    I don't disagree here at all. I will add that it also means desire. The people without those skills need the desire to change. The people hiring need to be willing to invest the money to fund it.

Right now the companies have the money but are reluctant to invest. Right now the people have the ability to be trained but are reluctant to change. We need strong leadership to bring both parties to the table and come together.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    This is about the third or fourth time I've seen an article like this. My question is... what is the unemployment picture like for those with degrees or backgrounds in "science, technology, engineering, and math-related skills." I'm going to bet that they don't make up a large portion of that 14 million.
    They might now be a huge portion but they are there. However, many have degrees and advanced degrees and companies won't hire them if they've been unemployed or employed away from their field.

Of course, if they were smart enough to do those jobs, they'd probably be smart enough not to reject a $28/hr. contract, either. Oh well, sometimes you just gotta learn things the hard way.
    I wonder if those Ford workers had their own reasons for rejecting the contract. Have you asked? I think it's pretty unfair to say they only voted the way they did because they're dumb auto workers. But then again, your name is corktownyuppie.

I have asked. Many of my clients and friends are UAW employees, both on the skilled trades and unskilled. Granted, most of the people I know are voting yes. But they say that most of the sentiment against the contract is because they're doing the math right but using the wrong numbers.

The dissenters are comparing their pay and concessions to Alan Mulally's and coming up disappointed. The ones voting yes are comparing their pay and concessions to what they would get if they were to look elsewhere for a job.

Which do you think is the right question?

DetroitPole Guest

This is interesting:
    The only mention of the word "tax" is from that Republican pile of shit Detroit-hating Corker calling for "tax reform."

This is proof positive that the whole cut taxes/defund education mantra is totally fucked. And what are the Republicans doing in Michigan?
    http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/in...gislators.html

This is not the way to create more educated people.

Low cost of doing business and low education are Third World qualities that we should not be striving to emulate.

The jobs go unfilled because our educational system is still preparing children for the factory jobs that existed 50 years ago, don't exist now, and will never exist again.

You can get a high school diploma without knowing much at all about any of the subjects mentioned earlier in the thread; you can get a Ph. D. without knowing much about any of them. Granted not everybody has to take lots of science and math classes, but we just aren't getting enough kids interested in the "hard sciences" to be able to take on these roles.

The problem with our educational system isn't just money, though that's a part of it; it's a lack of redesign. We fundamentally worked out the K-12 and higher ed systems that exist today by about the end of the 19th century and haven't done anything significant to change it since.

By the way, I don't know of any company anywhere who is looking for people who know how to correctly black in circles on pieces of cardboard using a #2 pencil. But look at how much time we spend teaching that skill. Just for example.

I was talking to a small group of about a dozen parents at a school sports function yesterday. We determined that our little group had more science and math college-level education than all the teachers in our "blue ribbon" school combined. Not good.

And as best I can tell, none have college-level economics or business education. More not good.
    Last edited by Det_ard; October-13-11 at 04:41 PM.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    The jobs go unfilled because our educational system is still preparing children for the factory jobs that existed 50 years ago, don't exist now, and will never exist again.

You can get a high school diploma without knowing much at all about any of the subjects mentioned earlier in the thread; you can get a Ph. D. without knowing much about any of them. Granted not everybody has to take lots of science and math classes, but we just aren't getting enough kids interested in the "hard sciences" to be able to take on these roles.

The problem with our educational system isn't just money, though that's a part of it; it's a lack of redesign. We fundamentally worked out the K-12 and higher ed systems that exist today by about the end of the 19th century and haven't done anything significant to change it since.

Not to mention that US politicians cop themselves a pass by placing blame on citizens and the public school systems instead of their and their buddies' own monetary interests.
    By the way, I don't know of any company anywhere who is looking for people who know how to correctly black in circles on pieces of cardboard using a #2 pencil. But look at how much time we spend teaching that skill. Just for example.
    There are plenty of people with excellent science and math backgrounds who are unemployed and it's not the fault of our educational system. The problem is in the business sector and it's hiring and pay practices.

When I was in grad school I saw where the vaunted Asian technologists were getting their higher ed - at the same colleges and universities American students do! The primary differences - government policies and national business and trade practices.

Even the Germans do a better job of coordinating schooling with business and trade needs. I sincerely doubt many other nations are experiencing a higher ed bubble like the US currently is.

Not to mention US politicians cop themselves a pass by blaming citizens and the public school systems instead of their and their buddies' own financial interests.
    Last edited by lilpup; October-13-11 at 04:59 PM.

There is no training money available unless it is for a green job that does not exist or for an Obama crony company.

For a while [[and it's possibly still true), you could practically get an education for free. Between the tax deductions, grants and programs such as "no worker left behind", it was all but free to go to college. I have witnessed this personally: my wife has been enrolled full-time in a program to further herself, and it's affected our bottom line very little. No, we are not rich. She has a good job at present, but will likely double her salary once complete, as she's studying a specialized education/therapy field that is in high demand.

I am an electrical engineer with a bachelor's degree. In the last two years, I couldn't tell you how many opportunities have come my way. I've actually changed jobs twice because of it - my most recent employer drew me in with an offer that was too good to turn down. I've been with them for a year now. We are desparately trying to fill engineering positions, both in hardware and software. In fact, part of the reason I received such a good offer was because the position was unfilled for over a year, and they were terribly short-staffed. To this day, I still get recruiters contacting me at least twice a week. For a while, it was 2-3 times a day.

Since 2004, I have seen my salary increase by almost 60%. I know there are people hurting out there, and mine may be a less common case, but I have a hard time believing it's nothing but bad news when myself and my peers have lived an entirely different story. Luck has something to do with it, but the rest comes from motivation and drive.

lilpup Guest

There are [[were) eight engineers in my extended family. Only two made it through the downturn with their jobs intact [[neither was in Michigan). The rest have either taken pay cuts, had to relocate out of state, or are totally out of engineering. Most were mechanical/auto/aero. The two ChemEngs fared the best although even one of them had to take a pay cut and has an increased commute.

I've been away from engineering so long now that my degree is obsolete yet I get penalized for just having it all the time when I apply for other positions [[including those for which I have relevant experience).

Honestly, my degrees and the time wasted getting them has been the worst decision in my life. Fucking albatross.
    Last edited by lilpup; October-13-11 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    There is no training money available unless it is for a green job that does not exist or for an Obama crony company.
    Corporations are sitting on a ton of cash; start training your own employees to fill those positions.

I have asked. Many of my clients and friends are UAW employees, both on the skilled trades and unskilled. Granted, most of the people I know are voting yes. But they say that most of the sentiment against the contract is because they're doing the math right but using the wrong numbers.

The dissenters are comparing their pay and concessions to Alan Mulally's and coming up disappointed. The ones voting yes are comparing their pay and concessions to what they would get if they were to look elsewhere for a job.

Which do you think is the right question?
    If I was a Ford worker, I would probably vote yes on the contract, due to the current economic conditions. But that being said, it's downright criminal that Mulally gets compensated a ridiculous amount of money, when we all know that it's the workers who keep the wheels turning. They dole out a $6,000.00 bonus and expect the workers to be satisfied. I can see they're frustration.

Lets see here...

We have 14 million people OFFICIALLY unemployed and thee companies can't find one person to fill their positions?

I'm calling BS on that.

They just want to hire robots and pay them peanuts, in a word, Indians.

Downtown Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    I've been away from engineering so long now that my degree is obsolete yet I get penalized for just having it all the time when I apply for other positions [[including those for which I have relevant experience).

Honestly, my degrees and the time wasted getting them has been the worst decision in my life. Fucking albatross.
    If your degree is such a detriment, don't mention it on your application.