Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default RPTC opening 6/22

Info on SMART's web site indicates that RPTC will open June 22. Has anyone else heard anything about an opening date?

Are you talking about the Royal Oak Transit Center or something else? I couldn't find what you were referring to on SMART's website.

I'm guessing Rosa Parks Transit Center, but so far, only one of the tarps is up. They better get a move on if they are going to meet that June 22 date.

Rosa Parks Transit Center, Michigan and Cass.

Here's what I found on SMART's web site; this is a service bulletin and there are related ones. Note that also SMART east side routes will no longer use the I-375 service drive.

MACOMB ROUTES
    510/515, 530, 560/565, 580, 610/615, 620, 635
    DOWNTOWN ROUTING INFORMATION
    JUNE 15, 2009

Randolph:
    Effective Monday, June 15, 2009 all inbound and outbound Route 510/515, 530, 560/565 and 580 trips will operate via Randolph.
    Outbound trips will no longer operate via the I-375 service drive and will no longer have a St. Antoine timepoint.

Fort/Shelby:
    Also, the current detour routing for inbound Routes 510/515, 530, 560/565, 580, 610/615, 620, 635 via Fort Street and Shelby in downtown Detroit will be made permanent.
    Due to this change the Michigan/Griswold timepoint has been eliminated and the Times Square timepoint has been replaced by the Michigan/Cass timepoint for all trips in both directions. All trip times on the above routes other than at the Michigan/Griswold timepoint have remained the same.

510/515, 560/565:
    Until the opening of the Rosa Parks Transit Center scheduled for June 22, 2009 all 510 and 560 trips will begin and end at Michigan And Cass.
    Information will be available shortly regarding the routing of 510/515 and 560/565 buses in and out of the transit center. Also, early morning and late night trips on Routes 510 and 560 will no longer short turn at Michigan/Griswold but will begin and end at Rosa Parks.

Huh. I thought Rosa Parks was DDOT only. Thanks for clearing that up.

Are they going to have free Wi-Fi? I heard something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by E hemingway View Post
    Huh. I thought Rosa Parks was DDOT only. Thanks for clearing that up.
    Both SMART and Transit Windsor buses will use the center, but only DDOT buses will enter the interior boarding zone areas. Loading stops located along the exterior of the building will be used by SMART, Transit Windsor and taxi cabs.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Info on SMART's web site indicates that RPTC will open June 22. Has anyone else heard anything about an opening date?
    From what I've been told, that June 22nd opening date has now been delayed about two weeks. Apparently, the contractor now says the work won't be completed until June 30th. An early July date is now being mentioned for the opening, shortly after the July 4th holiday. As soon as the powers that be let us know the official date I'll pass it along.

That jibes with this:

"Williams used the news conference also to announce that on July 14, the new Rosa Parks Transit Center at Michigan and Cass in Detroit will have its grand opening."

From the Freep, in an article about the new DDOT signs going up soon on the five busiest routes [[including Dexter, which will be pleasing to Jjaba, if anyone knows where he is and can tell him).