Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Taking pictures in the city of Detroit

Something very interesting I heard on the radio the other day. There was a discussion on area's of Detroit that were good for taking photos. During this discussion, several people called in to say that as they were taking photos downtown of buildings, police had came up to them and asked if they had permits to take the pictures. Since when do you need to have a permit to take pictures on public property!? Can this in anyway be true? They were told to put the cameras away or face a fine. If it was one person who'd had called in I would have dismissed it. But to have several call in and validate the claims kinda shocked me. Some of the people were taking pics in Hart Plaza and near the Ren Cen, as well as near Foxtown. Can this be true? Or can I tell a cop to pis off if he asks for a permit when taking pics downtown?

I take pictures every day on my mobile phone. I also see people come into my building and take pictures of the common areas. I've never seen police or security stop anyone.

I doubt it's true, I don't see how it could be in any way legal to restrict one's ability to take photos.

No, it's not true.

However telling a cop to piss off, might not be the best way to handle it. :P

after you tell the cop to piss off, please take and post a picture of the black eye and fat lip you have as a result of your ass whoopin.......

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    ...police had came up to them and asked if they had permits to take the pictures. Since when do you need to have a permit to take pictures on public property!? Can this in anyway be true?...
    If true, it's a foolish policy because cameras have been becoming, and will continue to become, evermore inconspicuous and ubiquitous.

If they think a "bad guy" can't clandestinely snap a photo with today's technology, they're just paranoids, fools or both. Folks like that are fighting a lost cause and it's hard to believe they're stupid enough to not know it.

If your doing something of a commercial nature, yes you might need a permit. Past that, despite popular theory, there is scant little you cannot photography on public property. Very scant....

The worst offenders are rent-a-cops. You have a leg up on them the moment they start yapping BS, because they are then themselves on the edge of committing a crime. Twice in my life, I was told they would call the cops, and twice I offered them my cell to do it.

Once had a security guard approach me while I was taking a picture of the Book-Cadillac. She asked what I was taking a picture of and I explained that I was staying in the hotel and was taking a picture. Then she took me on a tour of the ballrooms and tried to get me up into the condos, but the separate condo security did not let her. So in that case, just being straightforward worked and turned the situation into a positive one.

I used to work for a company that took pictures of buildings for commercial purposes. It is actually not illegal to take pictures of buildings [[for commercial or personal purposes) from a public road unless it is a government property where the activity can be restricted.

Exterior of a building from a public vantage point? Not an issue.

From within a building, they can limit you though.

Years ago I was doing some work for a company downtown and I was to gather reference about their interior. So I took the trusty camera and starting snapping various shots of their interior. I was quickly confronted by a manager who was firm and yet understanding. He told me that taking pictures inside of a store could also be used to case the place for security issues and his company's policy was to not allow anyone to take pictures of their store from the inside.

I deleted the pics in front of the manager and we were cool. I had to go back to corporate to get their permission the next day but I played it their way and took the proper route in obtaining what could've been sensitive pictures.

Of all the times I took pictures in Detroit, I can't think of a time I've ever been approached by a cop or security guard and told to stop taking pictures.

When on private property, like an office building lobby, I usually ask security and they are almost always okay with it.

Taking pictures on a public street of buildings or "non-human objects" is 100% legal. Taking photos of people for the sake of taking photos of people is almost always considered legal. Using or publishing those photos online though is another story. If a photo taken without someone's permission is published and misrepresents the situation, they could actually sue, and win...but that's incredibly rare and very hard to prove. Also taking photos through the glass of a storefront from a public sidewalk and publishing that photo can also put you at legal risk if the business can prove the photo compromises their security.....but again very difficult and time consuming to prove. I should point out that photographers should use some discretion and think on the other side of the lens sometimes if the subject may be controversial.

If a cop were to ask me to stop taking photos, I'd be polite and stop. No sense making a scene. But that doesn't mean you can't do something. Get the cop's name and badge number. Make a complaint, or tell it online. If the issue gets public notice, the department may respond and correct the problem through education. But this situation seems incredibly rare. Rent a cop? Absolutely. Police officer, probably never. In fact, most cops see people holding cameras as tourists. I've been asked what I was taking photos of and when I said "architecture" it was followed by dozens of recommendations of great neighborhoods to photograph.

I remember in Philadelphia, I asked a parking garage attendant if I could photograph from the roof. They gave me permission and later came up and said that if I wanted access to more buildings he could arrange it. He called security to 5 other buildings and I got superb evening shots of the Philadelphia skyline. Out of the 1000 photos I took of the city, those photos were the absolute best with the rest practically throwaway. What an opportunity I would have missed had I not asked.
    Last edited by wolverine; October-13-11 at 12:31 AM.

A few years back a buddy and I were filming some shots of downtown for a promotional video for his business. We took a couple shots of the Ren Cen from across Jefferson and were quickly approached by GM security. They asked for ID and wanted to know what we were doing, which we explained. They told us that in the post 911 world they can never be too cautious. On of them asked my buddy for a business card and then they left.

I know of a few other times when friends have had issues from the security of buildings but haven't heard of the DPD having a policy of stopping and questioning folks. Is it somehow related to all the movies filmed around here the last year of so?

Had the same thing happen to me when they were restoring the Book. Security Guard made told me I couldnt take pics peeping threw the fence. So I started taking pics of him which really pissed him off. Funny thing was I had a tour of the Book a couple of weeks later and had a camera and took hundreds of pics and nobody cared.

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    Once had a security guard approach me while I was taking a picture of the Book-Cadillac. She asked what I was taking a picture of and I explained that I was staying in the hotel and was taking a picture. Then she took me on a tour of the ballrooms and tried to get me up into the condos, but the separate condo security did not let her. So in that case, just being straightforward worked and turned the situation into a positive one.

I had a cop jokingly ask if I was a terrorist while taking a shot of the Broderick Tower this summer.

I have taken hundreds of pictures in Detroit and Michigan. No one in Detroit ever discouraged me. A police officer in Dearborn asked me what I was doing when I was taking a picture of the
    Ford F-150 plant. I told him and he wished me well. If you are on public property, you have
    the right to take pictures of anything. If you go on to someone's property, you may be
    trespassing. Railroad police officers, in particularly, will come after those who trespasses
    on railroad property, primarily for safety reasons.

Default City Photos

I've been photographing all over the city for several years with little or no problems. I once got ID'd at the State Fair. Folks in the suburbs aren't crazy about cameras, guess they have more to hide? http://www.flickr.com/photos/justbea...7625201237008/

the only time i have ever had a problem shooting was while i was snapping shots on the riverfront in front of the ren cen. security came by and told me i couldnt shoot the building and to move along. when i asked if the riverfront was public property they said no. i didnt want to argue with the guy too much, but they pretty much trample on photographers rights whenever they can. they bank on the fact that you likely arent going to put up a fight.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I thought it was quite ridiculous, but I just wanted to make sure not to get a fine or deal with some stupid crap. I can understand the post 911 precautions, but if I'm taking pictures on public property I just don't see what would be wrong with that. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    after you tell the cop to piss off, please take and post a picture of the black eye and fat lip you have as a result of your ass whoopin.......
    Then slap the city with another police brutality lawsuit. Some people never learn.

Let me take a stab at this topic. I know that Detroit Zack [[a detroit yes member) had the Men In Black [[seriously!) show up at his house after he was taking pictures of an old warehouse under the Ambassador Bridge. As for me, I have never really had an issue of taking any pictures of outside places, but I have been harassed, cursed at, yelled at, arrested, and even told that I was going to get f*cked for taking pictures inside buildings. Of course, they were all Detroit Public Schools and they were all DPS Police too.

I have taken over 3,500 photos of Detroit street scenes and traffic/street lights over the last 13 years and have never been approached by law enforcement. I have met some nice residents though who are curious and we end up making small talk.

I have taken well over a 1,000 pics of the city this year including pics of 1300 Beaubien and 253 Larned. The only time I was hassled was of all places Indian Village by one of the residents who did not care for me taken pics of the homes on his street. My thoughts were you live in one of the most popular historic districts in the city get a life!!

Quote Originally Posted by ridgeabilly View Post
    I've been photographing all over the city for several years with little or no problems. I once got ID'd at the State Fair. Folks in the suburbs aren't crazy about cameras, guess they have more to hide? http://www.flickr.com/photos/justbea...7625201237008/
    Brilliant photos - thanks for the link.

Default I've had problems-

A few years ago I did some shooting from the Fort Street bridge [[currently under reconstruction) of the industrial scene of the rail yard, salt mine, the Rouge, and the Marathon refinery. The private security from Marathon told me we were not allowed to take pictures with their refinery- despite being on a public sidewalk. Basically I told him there was nothing he could do- he replied he'd call the cops. I told him fine, please do it. Of course they never showed up; like they have nothing better to do. I ran into the same idiots near the refinery when I was shooting on Dix ave- Here is a link to the photo in question published from an article in 2006-
    http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/...ad.php?t=13152
    Last edited by Cinderpath; October-14-11 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Added link to article-

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Had the same thing happen to me when they were restoring the Book. Security Guard made told me I couldnt take pics peeping threw the fence. So I started taking pics of him which really pissed him off. Funny thing was I had a tour of the Book a couple of weeks later and had a camera and took hundreds of pics and nobody cared.
    Technically taking pictures with your camera against a fence, through the fence IS illegal *if the property owners feels you've violated their privacy or create a security risk if you put the photos up the internet. But usually no one gives a sh!t. It would be a dumb thing for a security guard to worry about.

It's amazing that security would freak out about photos on the riverfront. Really? Even transit agencies are okay with it. In fact, they've sponsored photo contests. NYC did the same.

http://www.transitchicago.com/business/photopolicy.aspx
    Last edited by wolverine; October-15-11 at 12:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast