Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pondering the Belly Button and Other Mysteries of Life

All,

Does anyone know where the belly button connects within the body?

Yeah, I was pondering mine in the tub this afternoon...and realized I had no idea what it was connected with inside.

I place that mystery along with things like...how and why mammalian species [[well MOST species) chose to 'evolve' into dualing genders for procreation...why gravity works...how the atom holds together...why anything has solidity and substance...

...and why most nobody ever seems to question and doubt these things!

Any other true mysteries y'all have, or real and true answers and solutions to any of them?

Cheers!

Oh yeah...and I truly wonder who figured out the coffee bean. I mean...who realized it had to be roasted JUST SO, then ground before soaking it all in water somehow...gaining us one of life's basic neural exciters, with caffeine-molecule shaped receptors in the nervous system?!

If you cloned yourself, and then killed the clone, would that be suicide or murder ?

I had a feeling this was a Gannon thread when I saw the title. Get out of the tub and Google your questions.

It was my understanding that the point of having two genders is to diversify the gene pool, allowing for better adaptability and evolution within the species.

Damn, Pam.

Where will that get us? I'll learn, then report it here, and y'all will ignore me.

That is NOT the Socratic method...

Cheers

Yeah, JL, THAT is surely entropic...it sounds as if we're anthropomorphizing the whole deal...trying to get it to make human sense as if 'evolution' somehow had intelligence behind it.

Curious twist, that.

Given the extreme friction in mere human mating ritual, wouldn't a few hundred thousand years be enough to adapt to single-sex procreation?

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Given the extreme friction in mere human mating ritual, wouldn't a few hundred thousand years be enough to adapt to single-sex procreation?
    Are you suggesting that we should all f$#k ourselves? No thanks. You first.
    Last edited by Stosh; April-01-09 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Two-sex procreation allows one mate to go kill things to eat while the other has offspring.

As for extreme friction, there are products for that.

Two-sex procreation allows one mate to go kill things to eat while the other has offspring

Look up "hunter -gatherer" cultures. The mates having offspring also contributed to what was eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post

Look up "hunter -gatherer" cultures. The mates having offspring also contributed to what was eaten.
    Yes I was oversimplifying. Allow me to rephrase for Pam:

Having two genders allows the two mates to divide duties, perhaps according to each's ability, or perhaps in any other equal and fair manner they agree upon fully with consent from each individual, with both individuals being considered equal contributors to the process.

Pam - that's funny...When I saw the title of this thread I thought perhaps our youngest son had joined Dyes! He's always been fascinated with his belly button and constantly does "belly button maintenance", much to the disgust of his mother and his wife! How in the world he can manufacture so much lint in such a small space is beyond me!

Gannon - Gerhard Reibmann, a Berlin psychologist, sees the belly button differently from Hamilton Bailey. He believes that you can diagnose a person's life expectancy, general health and psychological state purely by looking at their belly button. He paid for the publication of his own book, which he called Centred: Understanding Yourself Through Your Navel.

This is quoted from: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...=1006041418468 -

You can check your local bookstore and see if they have a copy! Happy pondering buddy!

Allow me to rephrase for Pam
    Much better, thanks.

ccbatson Guest

The vessels that run internally from the umbilicus to the circulation of the fetus occlude right after birth, shrivel and are digested away, just like the remainder of the umbilicus that falls off on the outside.

Simplify, CC. Does that mean that the belly button isn't connected to anything, and is just a leftover bundle of skin the sits atop a muscle?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Simplify, CC. Does that mean that the belly button isn't connected to anything, and is just a leftover bundle of skin the sits atop a muscle?
    I pondered, than lost interest.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I dunno, but it was one of the few times CC has brought anything meaningful and non-combative to the discussion...

I think we should all look at this as a postive

Thanks, Cc.

Is it ONLY circulation...sharing blood?

No nervous system connections?

Nothing else strange about it, besides the well-evolved or adapted shriveling function?

Hey y'all, give a fellow a break, let's make this a new start...no lingering feuds or attitudes. Until proven otherwise...I've always felt Cc to be merely misunderstood and forced to play the heavy!

Cheers from sunny Tennessee!

ccbatson Guest

No nervous system, however, lots of blood born hormonal connections that are linked to neurologic functions via the neuro-endocrine axis. Frankly, a little understood corner of medicine.

Thanks for that, Cc.

I guess not enough learned folks have cared to study theirs!

ccbatson Guest

Interesting stuff, not very practical information though.

Ravine Guest

I don't think mine is very interesting.
    I wouldn't mind studying Toni Braxton's, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    I don't think mine is very interesting.
    I wouldn't mind studying Toni Braxton's, though.
    Cross post to chicks we dig?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast