Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Historic Fort Wayne Event

I noticed that there was no posting for this weekend's event, so I am posting this now. This is the second year that the Coalition is hosting this event at the Fort, and it looks to be a great event shared with the fall Hisotrical Society Flea Market! Below, please find a copy of the flyer and an itenerary for the events being held:

Please come out and support this event and help keep the Fort open thru your donation!

SEE YOU AT THE FORT!!

Res

I attended last year and can report that it was a pretty cool event, certainly something of interest to history buffs.

I also had the pleasure of meeting an author of a series of books about 101st Airborne. He jumped on the morning of June 6, 1944; into Holland in Operation Marketgarden [[A Bridge Too Far); and was in Bastone throughout the Battle of The Bulge.

Pretty impressive resume and he couples it with a very humble nature.

I look forward to attending again this year. Thanx PR

Gnome-

I believe that we ran into one another just outside the door to the room that the gentleman was speaking in.

I had the distinct pleasure of being his driver last year, as he resides in a community adjacent to mine. You are more than correct in your presumption in regard to his humility.

His name is George Koskomaki, and he is a true American hero in my judgement. His stories of what he had to endure and how he survived it all were quite riveting, and at a couple of points in his accounting I was near tears as he described losing friends that he had lived and fought with for many hard months.

I often wonder if so many who have it so good think of the sacrifices that men like this made on our behalf to make it easier and safer for us to enjoy our lives now.

If you feel like honoring those like George, try to make it out to this event and talk with him and the countless other veterans who have fought to defend our freedoms. George is close to 90 years old now but he is glad to recount those experiences that he endured so that the rest of us all understand the importance of recognizing our veterans before they are gone.

I hope to see you again this year as this should be an even better event. The Historical Society is stepping-up and putting some things on display that have never been seen by the public before.

Take care

Res

Every time I visit Fort Wayne I have a great time. I hope to be there Sunday, maybe Saturday.