Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Packard Plant: History and Building Guide

There have been a number of threads on this website asking about the history of the Packard Plant on East Grand Boulevard. People have asked what was made in this or that part of the factory.

Now you can have the answers to your questions. The Winter 2009 edition of The Packard Cormorant [[published by the Packard Automobile Club) was devoted to “the Rise and Fall of 1580 East Grand Boulevard." This 42 page, glossy magazine details the complete history of the Packard Plant. It is full of stories and “then and now” photos comparing what it looked like back in the day and how it now appears.

One of the best features is 4-page spread with a map and building directory that shows every function in each section of the building in 1949. There is also an abbreviated directory showing how the building was used before WWII.

If you want this limited production magazine, it can be purchased for $15 at the Packard Proving Grounds during the PPG Fall Open House this Sunday, October 16. The PPG is located at 49965 Van Dyke Ave. Shelby Township. It is on the west side of Van Dyke, between 22 Mile Road and 23 Mile Road.

This is our last free event at the PPG this year, so if you miss this weekend our next free event will not be until April 2012 - six months away. So get out this weekend.

For more information on the PPG Fall Open House click here: http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?11480-Packard-Proving-Grounds-2011-Fall-Open-House

Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Packman41; October-12-11 at 03:41 PM.

Pman: If we aren't able to make it to the event, is there a way to get a copy of the magazine? I love to have one. Thanks.

Hello Carey:

It would be best to get it at the PPG. However, you can send me a PM with your phone number and we can discuss how to get a copy to you.

Hello Lt. Dave:

Thanks for the PM and the payment via PayPal. The winter 2009 edition of The Cormorant was put in the mailbox this morning.

Hope you find it interesting.

Thanks

I'd be interested in getting a copy of this too, I wasn't able to make it out to the event.

Hello: detroiturbex:

Yes, I can help you out, but you need to hurry. I took 10 to the PPG yesterday and they were sold out. There is ONE issue left [[ I MAY be able to order more) and you want it, then send me a PM with your contact information.

I will then ask you to send me $15 via PayPal and we can complete this transaction.

If enough people want me to get more, then I will create a list and see how many I might be able to get from the publisher. Just PM me.

Right now detroiturbex has dibs on the last one [[for the next several days)

Thanks

Got it yesterday [[17 oct)...

Thanks!

i'm interested. i actually went to the event and the gentleman working the table took my info and was going to get back to me about it.

[had a great time, btw. great job on the open house!]

To rsa.313: Glad you had a nice time at the PPG, but sorry that we sold out of the Winter 2009 edition of the Comorant. You need to send me a PM with your name and mailing address so that I can get you on the wait list.

To DetroitUrbex: Received your payment and it was put in the mailbox earlier this morning.

Currently I have 5 names on the waiting list - they are:
    Krawlspace
    Scyloneman
    MikeM
    Carey
    and now rsa.313

I will get some extra re-prints, but it would be nice to have a known number to purchase rather than making the publisher run small batches for me.

If there are others that want in on this next order, then please send me a PM with your name and mailing addess. Once the reprints arrive, then I will ask you to send me $15 to my PayPal account. Otherwise, the PPG will not have another Open House until April 2012 and you will have to take your chances on getting there before they are sold out.

All proceeds [[above the reprinting costs) go to support the restoration efforts at the Packard Proving Grounds.

--Thanks--

i would think that continuing to have a number of these on hand would be a good idea. as more people find out it exists, more will want to buy one. maybe figuring out how to list it on Amazon.com would be a better idea, so that way anybody on the internet doing a search for "packard plant" could come across it.

personally i drove out there from Fort Wayne just to buy one...and because i had never actually been to the Proving Grds. i loved it, and will probably come back someday, even tho i live way on the west side.

we used to play baseball on the Proving Grounds.

Look forward to getting my hands on one! So interesting! I hope to make it to the next event.

Hello All:

The back issues of The Packard Cormorant magazine have finally arrived. I think I have contacted all the folks that sent me an e-mail and put their names on the waiting list. If you have not heard from me, either by direct e-mail or PM, then send me a PM now.

This is the magazine The Packard club produced for its members and it describes in detail the history of the PMCC Plant on East Grand Boulevard. If you did not get on the mailing list, then now is the time to do so. After I work through the waiting list there should be only 13 issues remaining. If any are left over, then the remainder will be out at the Packard Proving Ground for sale.

The price of $15 includes postage inside the continental U.S and actual postage for outside the U.S.

Perfect gift for the Detroit history buff.

Best, --Roger--

Thank you Roger! Can't wait to get mine!