Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Auto Insurance in Detroit - Recommendations?

Looking for any recommendations for auto coverage at my new Eastern Market address. Gotta renew tomorrow! Thanks.

Stay away from Gieco and Einsurance. My best online buy was Allstate. Been there, done that.

Thanks for the tip!

Several years ago I switched to AAA and cut my rates in half from what I had been paying MEEMIC. They have an office in the Dime Bldg. on Griswald.

Everyone I've chatted with says to go with AAA or State Farm. I'm in the same boat... all the best.

Thanks so much, everyone!

I hate AAA, they have bad technology and annoying claims processes; but their prices are low.

However, I just switched to Liberty Mutual, their prices beat the pants off of AAA. But I live in Warren, not Detroit.

use someone else's address

Quote Originally Posted by Autoracks View Post
    use someone else's address
    And when you get caught your insurance is invalidated due to fraud. The only way to get caught is by being in an accident or having your car stolen. No thanks. Pay the extra $100 every six months. You will sleep better. I once looked into using the address of my house in West Branch, MI for car insurance. I was told that was a huge gamble and insurance companies do not like to pay claims to liars.

Your best bet is to get several quotes. Once you contact the insurance companies they will keep sending you unsolicited offers to reduce your insurance every six months. Keep a good credit rating as this is an indicator of being responsible.

I avoid all the 'name brand' high-profile insurance companies. I was with a company called Michigan Millers, had an accident everything went smoothly. Now I am with Citizens and ok with their rate considering I live in Detroit where insurance is sky high! AAA, Alstate, Geico, State Farm this and that all have high advertising budgets that have to be passed on to the consumer. Using a 'broker' is the best and I use a local one that offers great options:

Valenti Trobec Chandler Inc
    248-828-3377

Yeah the 'hook up' insurance scams are rampant!

That's part of the reason you've got people doing hit-and-runs so it is not a 'victimless' issue. Some of these 'store front' insurance companies are selling 'binders' [[a temporary insurance sheet that proves you paid at least a down payment!). The buyers of these documents never intend to pay out the 'full' premium and the store front joints thrive off of the one-hit $250 out-the-door "binders".

The Secretary of State accepts these 'documents' depending on who you get barely glancing at them. I noted that when recently renewing my plates. The person just glanced at my paperwork.

Then there's the underground hustle of 'creating' and selling fake insurance binders and certs on the street. Have computer, scanner and printer and bang - fake documents - some companies use water marks to make reproduction hard but most don't. Crazy times indeed and more reason to drive defensivley as you might have an accident with someone with bogus paperwork.
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    And when you get caught your insurance is invalidated due to fraud. The only way to get caught is by being in an accident or having your car stolen. No thanks. Pay the extra $100 every six months. You will sleep better. I once looked into using the address of my house in West Branch, MI for car insurance. I was told that was a huge gamble and insurance companies do not like to pay claims to liars.

Your best bet is to get several quotes. Once you contact the insurance companies they will keep sending you unsolicited offers to reduce your insurance every six months. Keep a good credit rating as this is an indicator of being responsible.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-11-11 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Stay away from Gieco and Einsurance. My best online buy was Allstate. Been there, done that.
    I will second that. Esurance says your rate is one thing, then they bill you for an "escrow account."

Typed esurance into a letter, spell check came back with "esurient" which means, appropriately, greedy. AAA has never been a problem for me -- good service, GREAT price for where I live [[again, half of what anyone else offers)

^^^^ Yeah, and I had a bad turn with Gieco jerks. Sure they first six months was low then it shot up to the moon the next six months. I could not wait to get away from that scam. Someone has to pay for all that animation applied to the Gecko gizmo and all the radio and tv time. NOT ME ANYMORE!

If you or any of your family has been in the military, go with USAA. They have great rates and are awesome to deal with. I actually get a rebate at the end of every year from them!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I avoid all the 'name brand' high-profile insurance companies. I was with a company called Michigan Millers, had an accident everything went smoothly. Now I am with Citizens and ok with their rate considering I live in Detroit where insurance is sky high! AAA, Alstate, Geico, State Farm this and that all have high advertising budgets that have to be passed on to the consumer. Using a 'broker' is the best and I use a local one that offers great options:

Valenti Trobec Chandler Inc
    248-828-3377
    Agree. Citizens is very reasonable. Also agree about using a broker.

I used Consolidated Agencies. Bump your deductible up to $1,000 and that'll save you a ton, too. www.consolidatedagencies.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post

Your credit rating shouldn't have anything to do with the rate you pay. It should be based solely on your driving record. That is a crock of _hit. So if i happen to get laid off, or suffer from a medical condition, then get a little behind on my bills, my insurance goes up even with a superlative driving record and paying my insurance every month, because my credit score dropped due to financial distress? That's BS. Then as soon as you file a claim, they're going to "jack the rate" anyway.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; October-11-11 at 10:40 PM.

I've had Progressive for 4 yrs now. The rate is less than what I was paying with Citizens. But here's the kicker, my husband has had 3 major accidents in these 4 yrs. Fortunately, none where he was at fault. Progressive got the claims settled extremely fast & courteously. They even called the shop for updates on the repairs & passed those updates on to me. I knew where we were every step of the way in the claim process. My rates haven't been raised due to these accidents.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Your credit rating shouldn't have anything to do with the rate you pay. It should be based solely on your driving record. That is a crock of _hit. So if i happen to get laid off, or suffer from a medical condition, then get a little behind on my bills, my insurance goes up even with a superlative driving record and paying my insurance every month, because my credit score dropped due to financial distress? That's BS. Then as soon as you file a claim, they're going to "jack the rate" anyway.
    Your credit score does matter. People with lower credit scores, statistically, are a worse risk.

Responsible people do responsible things, like keep their cars in a well maintained condition. People with better credit scores are more likely to have the money to be able to do this. People with low credit scores are more likely to not have the money to do needed repairs, but will still drive around in a car that is in need of repair.

I've seen stupid people doing stupid things, like towing a broken car via tow rope on I-75. Or driving at 80 MPH on a non-full size spare [[instead of to the nearest tire shop).

Who is doing these things? Not folks with 700 or 800 credit scores. People with limited resources do these things.

I might be a little biased in the conversation because I have a good credit score and enjoy low rates for both homeowners and automobile insurance, but I most certainly keep my cars in great operating condition and immediately address issues with them when they arise.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post

You do know that Allstate owns E-surance, right?

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Several years ago I switched to AAA and cut my rates in half from what I had been paying MEEMIC. They have an office in the Dime Bldg. on Griswald.
    Interesting. AAA bought Meemic recently, along with Fremont insurance on the west side of the state.

cincinnatti insurance through an agent. was with citizens forever and switched recently because of an increase. aaa will give you a good rate until renewal, then up it. this happened to me twice and have never gone back to them.

I've had AAA actually decrease my rates. That has not happenned for a while due to the MCCA unfortunately.

Allstate bought esurance pretty recently, so they may still act like independent companies in their policies/rates for a while...

Citizens was the best when I lived in Detroit, but both they and State Farm seem to have jacked up rates a little lately....

AAA worked best for me....but a lil bit off record...has anyone noticed the absurd amount of car insurance comemrcials on tv lately?

I had the extra factor of having let my insurance lapse by a few days [[stupid, I know!), so Allstate said they couldn't even insure me, period. I went with Progressive and my six-month rate was $700 cheaper than two other estimates. I don't know how this is possible, but I'm happy to be insured.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast