Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Bess Bonnier, Brad Felt, RIP...

It's with great sadness I must call attention to two of our finer creative minds who have shuffled off this mortal coil.
    Pianist Bess Bonnier [[1928-2011) came of age during Detroit's golden age of jazz; her contemporaries and friends included Barry Harris, Roland Hanna, and Tommy Flanagan. Bonnier had that fine Det touch, very lyrical approach, loved those blues changes too. She was a warm friendly soul with much talent. We will miss her.

Brad was in his late fifties, way too young to leave. He had cancer and lasted about six weeks after the tumor was discovered. Like many musicians, Brad sometimes resorted to a 'day job' which allowed him to pursue his art with some degree of security. Brad played the euphonium, and played it supremely well. I always thought of Brad as a 21st century Hipster, always trying to improve his playing, write new music, looking for his next gig. He was an intellectual cat who offered opinions on many things, jazz and otherwise; Brad was warm and thoughtful, and if you were his friend he always made you feel special. His death leaves a large void in the Detroit music community, and in my life. Check out his website for music samples. www.bradfeltmusic.com

Thanks, Jimg, for sharing that news.

When I was in junior high, my father began introducing me to some of his favorite jazz artists both local and national when they appeared around town at Clarenceville or at free park concerts during the summer ....Stan Kenton, Maynard Ferguson, the Austin-Moro Band, Ursula Walker and Buddy Budson, and Bess Bonnier.

The first time I saw Bess was at the intimate setting of the Grosse Pointe Unitarian Church. She was amazing!!! And she was happy to talk to fans, old and young alike! She will be fondly remembered and very much missed!

I remember seeing Bess as the Unitarian Church over in Grosse Pointe. It seemed like she was a regular in their yearly group of artists. I saw her play many times after that with Paul Keller, great bassist from Ypsilanti / Ann Arbor. She always had an elegance about her and played a repertoire that bridged the gap from serious jazz musicians and jazz-o-philes to amateur listeners. A 4-person piano summit with Roland Hanna, Barry Harris, Tommy Flanagan, and herself was probably the highlight of her career although I'm sure she did many great things before that. I loved hearing her at the DIA doing solo piano.

Brad was a hell of a musician. Through his compositions and cerebral yet emotive solos, he was one of the rare musicians that found his own "sound". I really liked his quintet with Steve Wood, the saxophonist from Detroit. It seemed like he was buried in big band sections over the years, hearing him with Ed Nuccelli and others at the Detroit Jazz Festival, but enjoyed hearing him with Scott Gwinell's Jazz Orchestra because they seemed to feature him quite a bit.

Detroiter and prolific Baritone Sax player Pepper Adams supposidly used to get aggrivated at people who said he was great for a Baritone player; he considered himself great compared against ANY player on any instrument, especially the other saxophones. I saw Brad being the same way. He wasn't just a great tuba and euphonium player; he was great compared to anyone, anywhere. Regardless of instrument, he acheived what jazz musicians struggle their whole lives to find, their own "voice". I'll miss hearing him. Rest in peace Brad and Bess; you played a great gig.

Thanks, Carl, forgot the Gwinnell gigs, that brings to mind Kenny Cox' fine "Guerilla Jam Band" which always featured Felt-Mo. I don't know how many times the Felt-Wood [[or Wood-Felt) quintet played at Montreux each year, often it was that bands only gig all year.
    "Elegant," that's a fine word to describe Bess' style, like Johnny Allen, another elegant pianist.

Name:  Bess front.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  11.5 KB

For a few years in the mid 70's Bess worked at the Top of the Pontch with Mickey Stein on guitar and upright bass. They recorded an album together, which shows up on ebay every now and then. Aside from Bess's usual fans, there was almost always a crowd of guitar players on hand, trying to figure out how Mickey could play such impossible stuff.

Visitation for Brad will be at Lynch and Sons Funeral Home, 1368 N. Crooks in Clawson south of Maple Rd., on Friday 10/14 4-8pm. There will be a service at Lynch and Sons Saturday 10/15 at 2pm.