Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Really big crime in Detroit draws yawns?

This week's Crain's detailed a criminal conspiracy in Detroit [metro] that dwarfs the antics of the alleged Kilpatrick crime enterprise, Wayne County shenanigans, and certainly the small fry catalytic converter and GPS thieves.

Give up yet? Didn't see this in the breaking news? No Scott Lewis stakeouts? What? You haven't heard about theft in the [yawn] automotive wire-harness business? You're not alone. Me either.

Yet automotive supplier Furukawa Electric has agreed to pay, not a paltry $1 million restitution, but a $200 million dollar fine, that 3 of its local executives will serve 12-18 months and the company will cooperate in the ongoing investigation as part of its guilty plea for its role in a global price-fixing conspiracy for wire-harnesses in violation of the ye olde Sherman anti-trust act.

Now that this huge domino has toppled expect even more as raids and investigations have spread to Sumitomo, TRW, Yazaki, Lear, Denso and Tokyo Rika automotive suppliers.

Ho hum? No mega thread for this one?

I guest the lesson learned is to commit crimes that are boring and complex and don't do as the Rodney Dangerfield one-liner summarizes.

"My old man was so stupid he got fired from the bank for stealing pencils."

lilpup Guest

That's because the investigations into these kinds of crimes are usually very hush, hush. I recall Yazaki and some other suppliers having their offices raided a while back but beyond that hadn't heard a peep about what was being sought or what was found.

Thanks for the info... now I wonder who gets the $200 million? The Feds?

lilpup Guest

It would be verrrrryyyy interesting to see which companies and vehicle models were targeted by these price fixers.

Industrial 'crime' is just business as usual. Nike just got zinged for a similar amount over some of their shoes.

And what does it say when corporations get fined two hundred million and don't even bat an eyelash...and then move on to do it again?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    And what does it say when corporations get fined two hundred million and don't even bat an eyelash...and then move on to do it again?
    That they have taken out an insurance policy against such eventualities?

Says that loud and clear!!

Sure sucks that companies like this can just pay fines considering there were likely hundreds if not thousands of jobs lost someplace else.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Give up yet? Didn't see this in the breaking news? No Scott Lewis stakeouts? What? You haven't heard about theft in the [yawn] automotive wire-harness business? You're not alone. Me either.
    Simple. How much has this price fixing scheme cost you? What effect did it have on your life? Usually these price fixing schemes only involve a couple percentage points of the total price of the item - and it's usually low-cost high-volume items so the fixing is difficult to notice. If the companies agree to a couple of bucks over the mean MSRP, that's tens of millions of dollars of more profit for them. The increase is lost in the noise of the other variable costs in the final product.

So, are you expecting a huge expose on how a group of tier 1 and tier 2 auto suppliers conspired in a complex fashion to bilk consumers out of a couple of bucks each? It's an illegal conspiracy, people are going to jail, but it ultimately doesn't affect the average guy on the street at all.

A couple percent on a $30,000 vehicle is not chump change. Thats $600. Multiply that by the 12 Million vehicles sold in the average year in the US. Thats $7.2 billion a year out of consumers pockets.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; October-08-11 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    A couple percent on a $30,000 vehicle is not chump change. Thats $600. Multiply that by the 12 Million vehicles sold in the average year in the US. Thats $7.2 billion a year out of consumers pockets.
    It's not a couple percent on a vehicle - the companies that were busted were selling wiring harnesses to auto companies. It's a couple percent on the cost of wiring harnesses. When I worked for a car electronics company these ran us few bucks each.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Simple. How much has this price fixing scheme cost you? What effect did it have on your life? Usually these price fixing schemes only involve a couple percentage points of the total price of the item - and it's usually low-cost high-volume items so the fixing is difficult to notice. If the companies agree to a couple of bucks over the mean MSRP, that's tens of millions of dollars of more profit for them. The increase is lost in the noise of the other variable costs in the final product.

So, are you expecting a huge expose on how a group of tier 1 and tier 2 auto suppliers conspired in a complex fashion to bilk consumers out of a couple of bucks each? It's an illegal conspiracy, people are going to jail, but it ultimately doesn't affect the average guy on the street at all.
    All of what you say is correct. My point is that theft or malfeasance as alleged with the Kilpatricks or Wayne county, which likewise only take pennies out of every pocket and similarly it doesn't affect the average guy on the street, gets far more ink -- even though the total amount of the theft is many times greater.

^^^ But like I said, corruption at the corporate level is business as usual. It isn't news. If you're not a thief and a con, you don't get ahead.

The Kwame and Mommy caper was over stupidity and arrogance more than corruption in Detroit which is also almost expected of politicians. Detroit, Chicago, Newark - they're all the same. Corrupt to the core going back many decades.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    All of what you say is correct. My point is that theft or malfeasance as alleged with the Kilpatricks or Wayne county, which likewise only take pennies out of every pocket and similarly it doesn't affect the average guy on the street, gets far more ink -- even though the total amount of the theft is many times greater.
    I disagree. The resultant impacts of the two are radically different. Firstly, civic corruption takes from ALL the taxpayers whereas the other only hits those who purchase the targeted products. Secondly, tax funds aren't the flexible revenue stream that sales revenue funds are. Corporations can easily pass along their higher costs or find cuts to offset them. Civic entities, especially around here, don't have that kind of luxury. Civic corruption is far, far more damaging - both in actual effect and the breadth of those affected..

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    ^^^ But like I said, corruption at the corporate level is business as usual. It isn't news. If you're not a thief and a con, you don't get ahead.
    When you think about it, isn't it sad that we accept this as the norm for business in America?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    When you think about it, isn't it sad that we accept this as the norm for business in America?
    It is. The double standard is pretty disgusting. It's silly to think that we should accept corporate corruption as business as usual, and then expect our pols, our teens, and the underclass to be fine upstanding citizens. Our "greed is good" mentality has infected all sectors of our society and even if people think they're not directly affected, they are.

lilpup Guest

It's very difficult to get action against corporate corruption unless it's absolutely huge. The insularity of corporate operations along with the dearth of enforcement agency resources combine to make the business world a winner-take-all wild west.

A few years ago the company I worked for decided they wanted to take advantage of opportunities presented by the economic downturn. The company wasn't well positioned so they wanted to massage and pad the company balance sheet, among other things. An attorney with whom I had a casual discussion said, by virtue of my position, I'd be as indictable as the corporate bosses if I stay ed and looked the other way but he also didn't think I had enough of a paper trail to get any enforcement agency to take action. The situation was exactly as the corporate honchos believed when they said they wouldn't get caught - too small for the Feds to worry about and the state was stretched too thin. Perhaps if I had been thinking I could have stayed and gathered more for an interested agency but I was afraid of getting burned and so bailed out of the environment [[at great financial expense to myself in this economic environment).