Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thank you WaCoTS, you really got me mad as hell now. I did recover my photos, but I could not recover the video. I will be going back to the exact spot and re-take my video.

In the mean time, here are my photos.

http://www.motorgay.net/2012/04/zug-...roit.html#more

Homeland Security and photogaphy.....that's a fooken joke.

If you were on public property, you were had.

Quote Originally Posted by riviera View Post
    Just don't use the groundwater.
    I have seen people fishing in the Zug mote right at the foot of Dearborn and Jefferson. However, I wasn't close enough to see if the catfish he caught had two heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitgayhistoryguy View Post
    Then I hear this voice from behind me "Excuse me sir" It's a cop, he tells me that I'm not allowed to take pictures of this steel mill, per dept of homeland security.
    A few years ago I was down around E. Grnd Blvd and Russell taking pictures and somebody took down my plates and reported me as engaged in 'suspicious activity' and I went through a visit to my suburban homes, and two phone interviews by the Detroit Police, asking me all kinds of personal questions [[i.e. if I work, am married, where I went to school, etc.) These days, with the Patriot Act in place, taking pictures, drawing, reading or writing in public can be construed as 'suspicious activity.'

"I talked to a welder's helper who was working out there and he said he looked over at the ground where they were working and there was a crack with flames coming out of it. I don't know if that was true but the place must be kind of hellish."

Yes, it did appear as if flames were emanating from the earth.

Between the rickety, old wooden dock and wandering through the island to Jefferson, it was always an adventure to dock there.

Imagine the "future earth" battleground of the Terminator with massive slag piles the colors of a melted 64 pack of Crayola crayons spewing fumes and flames.

Unmanned railroad cars would slowly trundle their load of cupolas glowing with molten metal between structures the size of airplane hangers.

Unlike most mills were you were shuttled to ship and the gate, at Zug , you were on your own to dodge the railroad cars and hissing pipes through this hellish inferno.

I bet there's a few dissolved sailor skeletons amongst the slag heaps and chemical pits.

I remember the guards were jerks too.

any estimates on how many people are employed by the operations there? There seems to be "quiet" industries chugging along within Detroit that no one talks about, really, with all the hyper-focus on auto plants..

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Rick View Post
    "I talked to a welder's helper who was working out there and he said he looked over at the ground where they were working and there was a crack with flames coming out of it. I don't know if that was true but the place must be kind of hellish."

Yes, it did appear as if flames were emanating from the earth.

Between the rickety, old wooden dock and wandering through the island to Jefferson, it was always an adventure to dock there.

Imagine the "future earth" battleground of the Terminator with massive slag piles the colors of a melted 64 pack of Crayola crayons spewing fumes and flames.

Unmanned railroad cars would slowly trundle their load of cupolas glowing with molten metal between structures the size of airplane hangers.

Unlike most mills were you were shuttled to ship and the gate, at Zug , you were on your own to dodge the railroad cars and hissing pipes through this hellish inferno.
    Name:  z1.jpg
Views: 10358
Size:  48.9 KB

Name:  z2.jpg
Views: 2152
Size:  48.0 KB

Name:  z3.jpg
Views: 2125
Size:  38.1 KB

Name:  z4.jpg
Views: 2189
Size:  51.9 KB

Name:  z5.jpg
Views: 2249
Size:  50.1 KB

Name:  z6.jpg
Views: 2312
Size:  50.2 KB

Terrific pictures. They really fit with Sailor Rick's description.

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    Terrific pictures. They really fit with Sailor Rick's description.
    Thanks Mike, for again validating my sea-stories.

Ahh, it brings back the memories of the stench of sulphur and layers of soot-gray.

Next up is to prove the existence of the compound I was held captive in by Alpena amazons when I was marooned on Drummond Island while attempting to supplement our ship's meager pantry with fresh sea-fowl eggs.

I do believe the ship purposely "ditched" me for the third time that season but I rather enjoyed the manifold pleasures of my primitive but eager hostesses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2