Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Zug Island today

Which firms are doing business on Zug Island now? Does Honeywell
    Chemical still produce tar? I presume that US Steel operates their mill and that the firm owned by DTW procudes coke. And Delray Connecting is in operation. Are
    there any other firms on the island?
    Thank you.

Hey renf, check out the Zug Island sign in this blog. It lists all of the businesses out there.

http://bbandm.wordpress.com/

Would there eber be a cleanup there if the industry went away or is that out of the question?

Why would you want industry to go away?

It would take decades to clean-up Zug Island to make it anywhere near inhabitable. And, with the number of operations on the island that are no longer there, imagine it as Uniroyal on the east riverfront times 10. They'd literally have to take off the whole top of the place, and they'd have to go fairly deep. It's not worth it; it's better it stayed industrial.

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, but it is too bad that Zug didn't get the world's largest wind turbine project.

Zug Island won’t get $45 million DOE grant for NextWind project

The reason I asked is that it is an enormous source of polution in the region and the community would look smell great and come back in a big way without that and the sight of it in the background, aswell as a clear riverfront.

Its ironic how Samuel Zug's initial plan was for it to be a garden isle.

ive been keeping my eye on the furthur east part of the island for when they parcel it off into lots. Riverfront and close to restaurants and shopping.

Just don't use the groundwater.

Default May 27, 1967

My father died on Zug Island, had a heart attack changing a flat tire after his shift as a crane operator. 40 years to the day later my mom died, but not on Zug Island, she hated that place.

It is pretty ironic that Samuel Zug abandon the island because of the mosquito population. Today, he must be turning over in his grave.

I ran across this document today; it shows the area around Zug Island which Detroit Edison deemed a high smoke area and therefore required heavy duty construction for distribution lines [[I assume to protect them from the corrosiveness of the pollution). The manual it came from is 20 years old, so maybe these standards no longer apply with the loss of so much industry since then.

Name:  LCS-1-27-5.jpg
Views: 6630
Size:  45.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Roomseller View Post
    My father died on Zug Island, had a heart attack changing a flat tire after his shift as a crane operator. 40 years to the day later my mom died, but not on Zug Island, she hated that place.
    That is so damn sad.

My dad sold industrial heating equipment and he would go out there every once in a while for a sales call. I always wanted to go out there just to say that I had been there. I imagine the security is pretty tight.

I talked to a welder's helper who was working out there and he said he looked over at the ground where they were working and there was a crack with flames coming out of it. I don't know if that was true but the place must be kind of hellish.

So, today I'm down by Zug Island, I think "Why not get some pictures" So, I drive around and find a great spot. I'm snapping pictures and video, it's awesome! Then I hear this voice from behind me "Excuse me sir" It's a cop, he tells me that I'm not allowed to take pictures of this steel mill, per dept of homeland security. He takes my driver's license and goes to his car to "run me" I guess. He tells me that I have to delete all the pictures I took, which I did. [[I'm not messing with the US govt!) He said it was because of the toxic contamination? It's a steel mill, not a nuclear power plant. Anyway, I'm quite annoyed because I had some great video.

When you say "cop" do you mean Border Patrol? Were you on public property?

I was at the end of this street. I really didn't look at his truck to see what exactly he was, I was kinda flustered. I think I was on public property. I don't know, I just didn't want to mess with any homeland security stuff, I did what he said.

I was on springwells ct. standing right where the arrow is.

Name:  zug.jpg
Views: 10411
Size:  37.1 KB

Was there a ship docked near by?

Attachment 12899

Attachment 12900

Nope, no ship. In my google view there is, but when I was there, no ship.

I drove up West Jefferson by the intersection with Springwell Court yesterday. I thought I saw a sign saying that the park at the end of
    Springwells Court would not open until April 1. I believe that
    Springwells Court is a regular - if very seldom used - Detroit street.
    If you would on that street, it is my understanding that you have the right to take any pictures you wish. I was in that area last fall taking
    pictures for my website. No one was around. It is, however, one of the better places to snap shots of the very active U. S. Steel plant on Zug Island.

those guys are US Steel security guards, NOT cops, NOT border patrol, NOT homeland security.

they do not have any jurisdiction on that side of the channel because Springwells Court is a PUBLIC STREET. they can come over there in their scary SWAT-looking uniforms and tell you whatever BS they want, and most people believe it and obey them.

however they do NOT have the right to search ANYONE, or run anyone's i.d., nor do they have the right to detain anyone. they are NOT police. just politely explain this to them.

i still have my pics of Zug island

Americans MUST learn to stand up to authority figures, and those masqueradign as such. just because youre approached by someone who looks and acts "official", and begins barking orders at you does not mean you have to obey them. ask them who they are.

when the guy approached me in his tactic00l SWAT getup, he noticed me squinting to calmly read the lettering on his official-looking badge. it said "US Steel Security". at that point the conversation changed dramatically. he became very docile and agreeable, and we parted ways quite cordially.

if he had not chilled out, i would have called the REAL police myself, and made a complaint that someone impersonating a police officer was harrassing me on a public street, and that if it escalated i may have to utilize my legally concealed pistol to defend myself. DPD might actually respond to a call like that, haha.

anyway, im sick of living in an America where this kind of crap goes on. we need to start showing a little spine towards our draconian overlords.

Quote Originally Posted by WaCoTS View Post
    Americans MUST learn to stand up to authority figures, and those masqueradign as such. just because youre approached by someone who looks and acts "official", and begins barking orders at you does not mean you have to obey them. ask them who they are.

when the guy approached me in his tactic00l SWAT getup, he noticed me squinting to calmly read the lettering on his official-looking badge. it said "US Steel Security". at that point the conversation changed dramatically. he became very docile and agreeable, and we parted ways quite cordially.

if he had not chilled out, i would have called the REAL police myself, and made a complaint that someone impersonating a police officer was harrassing me on a public street, and that if it escalated i may have to utilize my legally concealed pistol to defend myself. DPD might actually respond to a call like that, haha.

anyway, im sick of living in an America where this kind of crap goes on. we need to start showing a little spine towards our draconian overlords.
    I wish I would have looked closer at his markings. He just looked so much like a cop that I didn't even think he might not be one. He did look all "Swat" ish.

For next time, print out the .pdf at this site and keep it in your camera bag:

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

This has gotten the thumbs up at various railfan message boards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast