Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Control of Detroit Schools could be on ballot

June 2, 2009

Control of Detroit schools could be on ballot

Detroit lawmaker to seek Nov. vote

BY CHASTITY PRATT DAWSEY
    FREE PRESS EDUCATION WRITER
    A ballot proposal that could give Detroit's mayor some control over the city's troubled school system may soon go before the state Legislature.
    Rep. LaMar Lemmons Jr., D-Detroit, said he plans to introduce a bill in the next two weeks that would allow Detroit voters to decide in November whether to effectively make the school district a city department. The mayor would run the schools, while a smaller elected board would approve the schools' budget to provide checks and balances akin to how the City Council works.
    The bill is significant because it's the first effort to get mayoral control -- a move advocated by U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan, Gov. Jennifer Granholm and Mayor Dave Bing -- on the ballot in time for the November election.
    Duncan has $5 billion in stimulus funds to grant to school districts that make sweeping changes, and he has said that mayoral control is one change he wants to see in Detroit, a district he called a "national disgrace."
    Details of Lemmons' bill are still being hashed out, but it would allow voters to make the city charter revisions necessary to make the schools part of city government, he said.
    "I wouldn't think it prudent to move unilaterally without the citizens' support," he said.
    Mayoral control may be harder to fight this time

Jeffery Robinson, like many Detroiters, wants Bing to prove he can run a deficit-ridden city before taking over a deficit-ridden school system. Still, he fears a takeover of Detroit Public Schools could happen because few people are stepping up to oppose it.
    "You have a perfect storm. Voters are more concerned with looking for a job, keeping a roof over their head," said Robinson, a board member for the Detroit Parent Network.
    "Apathy and political deception is going to default us into a situation that no one is thinking about because of the economy."
    Just weeks after President Barack Obama's education secretary stood with Granholm and Bing to advocate for a mayoral takeover of DPS, a bill is being drafted that could put the issue before city voters in November.
    Interest groups and politicians are publicly split: Like Robinson, opponents say the mayor's plate is too full to take on DPS. But supporters say DPS Emergency Financial Manager Robert Bobb's quick actions to try to balance DPS's budget may show the benefits of paring down the school board in favor of more streamlined governance.
    In fewer than three months, Bobb ascertained a $305-million deficit in the district, fired 33 principals at low-performing schools, uncovered cases of employee theft and closed 29 schools.
    Disputes aside, all parties agree on one point: A major change is needed to resolve the deficit, declining enrollment and a 58% graduation rate.
    Michigan Future Inc., an Ann Arbor-based think tank, released a report this year that shows the state's prosperity is linked to Detroit's educational attainment, or lack thereof. If Detroit is lagging, so is Michigan. "Of 54 metropolitan areas with populations of 1 million or more, the Detroit region ranked 37th in knowledge-based industries concentration," or industries that require higher education, "and 36th in college attainment," according to the report.
    Doug Rothwell, president of Detroit Renaissance, which is comprised of the leaders of the region's largest universities and companies, agreed that a focus on education "is critical to turning around the city so that Detroit can attract and retain residents and businesses."
    He said the group strongly supports the mayor having oversight of DPS to "increase accountability and support for the tough restructuring that is necessary."

Times have changed

Many of the unions, politicians, parents and grassroots civic groups that fought in 2004 to repeal mayoral control of schools still oppose it. The grassroots group Keep the Vote No Takeover, which rose up when then-Gov. John Engler advocated for the 1999 takeover of DPS, is one of the few mobilizing again.
    Keep the Vote joined forces with the more radical group, By Any Means Necessary, and fought the takeover through federal court. The activists lost in appeals court, and the U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear the case in 2003.
    But it might not be so easy to build an army to fight this time. Times have changed. Protests are not as well-attended or as boisterous as during the takeover that lasted from 1999 through 2005, when school police, on several occasions, removed or tussled with demonstrators.
    "Detroit was the one place that was able to hold off and slay the beast" of mayoral control, said Helen Moore, a founding member of Keep the Vote. "Now the problem is: Will the parents rise up and continue the effort? Will Detroit be able to do that again? Not without the involvement of all parties that were involved before."
    In 1999, Lansing politicians who pushed the takeover law said replacing the school board with one largely appointed by the mayor would improve achievement in DPS. The racially charged debate over control of DPS and its $1-billion-plus budget would, for years, revolve around a few issues:
    • Whether Detroiters had the right to vote for school board members.
    • Whether then-Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick could be trusted to control the schools.
    • Whether Lansing should strip Detroit -- and only Detroit -- of home rule.
    • And whether it was all a Republican ploy to control a $1.5-billion school construction bond.
    Ultimately, the takeover ended with modest gains in elementary school MEAP scores and a $200-million deficit. Voters repealed the mayor-appointed board and elected a new board in 2005. The board took office in January 2006.
    The Rev. Wendell Anthony, president of the Detroit Branch NAACP, led the campaign against mayoral control. He also led a Granholm-appointed transition team that made recommendations to the elected board for improving DPS. The board largely ignored the report, but Bobb said it has helped him tackle the current deficit.
    Anthony said the NAACP hasn't taken a position on the issue, but control over Detroit schools should "have the will of the people."
    "The school board has been disastrous," he said. "What is currently being used ain't working. And right now, it ain't about us, it's about our children."
    Shirley Stancato, president and chief executive officer of New Detroit Inc., said the group has not taken a position on mayoral control, but "it's probably one of the pieces of the puzzle we should look at. We should forget about taking this side, or that side, and show some cohesion and do what's right for the children."
    N .Charles Anderson, president of the Detroit Urban League and a former school board member who supported mayoral control in 2004, said the emergency financial manager should remain in place for a few years while other options are researched.
    "We are seeing what can be done when you have determined leadership who is trying to make the best decisions as we watch Robert Bobb. Sometimes, management by committee doesn't work," he said.
    "We need to get back to the table and find a good governance structure."

Local politicians split
    School board members and Detroit lawmakers also are split over the issue. The state Legislature stripped financial control of DPS from the city in 1949, giving it to the school board.
    Now Lemmons expects to introduce a bill in the next two weeks to allow Detroit voters to decide in November on whether the schools should become a city department under control of the mayor.
    Rep. George Cushingberry, D-Detroit, chairman of the House appropriations committee, said mayoral control is a bad idea and is far from inevitable. "The district is still reeling from the last state takeover," he said. "Our experience is not good."
    There are other options, he said.
    "My opinion is we ought to break the district up into eight smaller units, with smaller boards, and allow them to enter into contracts with the other districts to purchase certain services, so they could have power in buying stuff," he said.
    The mayor's support of charter schools -- which are run by school boards that are not elected -- could turn off some voters, said school board member Annie Carter, who opposes mayoral control.
    "What gives me assurance as a taxpayer, not as a board member, that we would have any kind of accountability?" she said.
    Board member Margaret Betts said parents need to lead the debate.
    "Adding a mayor or another hierarchy on this system doesn't mean it's going to be successful," she said.

Other obstacles
    The National School Boards Association, one of the staunchest national opponents of mayoral control, said Detroit's school board is going to have a hard time proving that it should stay in power since the governor took away its control over the budget.
    To fight off a mayoral takeover, school boards should focus on raising student achievement and using resources well, said Anne Bryant, NSBA executive director.
    "If you have the data to show you're being good governors and achievement is on the rise, the noise will go away," she said. "If you have no budgeting power, it's very hard."
    Contact CHASTITY PRATT DAWSEY: 313- 223-4537 or cpratt@freepress.com. Staff writer Peggy Walsh-Sarnecki contributed to this report.

1 border=0 name=s_i_gpaper204>

The part of this that I don't like is that he wants to have a smaller elected board to provide checks and balance on the budget. Thats what we have city council for. If this essentially going to be another city department then treat it as such. Last thing we need is another elected board even if its only 7 or 9 to play political football with the mayor on the schools. The mayor thru his chancellor should run the schools, report to the city council on budgetary issues and leave it at that. If the citizens feel that they need a board to complain to about the schools then it should be a small appointed one done by the mayor.

Detroit Mayor to control over Detroit Public Schools. Did we Detroiters vote HELL NO on proposal E? Surely we don't [[former) KING KWAME throwing his parties at Cass Tech High School. I don't want Mayor Bing and any other Detroit Mayor to control DPS. Leader should find another way to manage DPS problems. The Detroit voters have spoken. They don't want the mayor taking over DPS. He or she have other things to do so that our city can move forward.

Robert Bobb's work so far has uncovered a good deal of the mismanagement and even corruption that has become all too routine in DPS, far too many of the top-earning employees are more concerned with taking advantage of perks and lack of oversight than giving kids a substantive education.. What makes it worse is that certain people assume the premise that DPS and other public departments of the city are "black owned businesses" by cultural default of Detroit's demographics, and thus are okay to use as political trump cards instead of simply doing what's right by people.
    i'd like to see DPS become a leaner organization, downscaled, and be a direct part of city government.. for years the mayor has been a figurehead "leader" of it without any real say on policy.. typically the sitting mayor gets blamed when news comes out about underperformance but then folks get reflexive against substantive reform like a mayoral takeover.. the Engler-era takeover was bungled, due in part to a reflexive distrust of "Lansing", heavy lobbying from DFT, school board administrators and Archer's mostly offend-no-one management style..
    it's way past time for a change.. ideally DPS would be dissolved totally then give an independent commission the charge to recreate it as an arm of city government..

I am leery of growing the City to make this efficient as well. Theoretically since Detroit is the largest school district in the state, it should be able to have more efficiencies than any other school district. I am encouraged that Bobb is doing things that Adamandy or Duggan never wanted to touch when each was czar. I do agree that something has to be done, but am no expert in delivering public education.

How does placing DPS under the city make it more accountable or less prone to corruption? It has huge problems but so does the city of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    How does placing DPS under the city make it more accountable or less prone to corruption? It has huge problems but so does the city of Detroit.
    What is does is makes one person , the mayor accountable for results or corruption. Thats not to say that corruption won't happen, it can happen under any form of governance but the blame will lie at the mayor feet, and not some 11 member board who can say ... Not me! it was the other guys fault.

Basically, it's just ripping out layers of management. Instead of the school superintendent reporting to 11 board members, he/she would report to 1 mayor. Removing unneeded pieces makes it easier to see where the problems are and what needs to be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    What is does is makes one person , the mayor accountable for results or corruption. Thats not to say that corruption won't happen, it can happen under any form of governance but the blame will lie at the mayor feet, and not some 11 member board who can say ... Not me! it was the other guys fault.
    Besides it is 10 less people to milk the system. Better to get raped by one crooked person than 11 crooked people.

I have no problem with mayor controlling schools.
    When the state ran DPS with a mayor appointed school board many "loudmouthed" protesters claimed the city lost its right to vote for a school board. When the city did get back the right to vote for a board very few voted in the election [[and those that did vote elected a bunch of idiots).

Detroit's school board is irrelevant. Think of just how many Detroit parents send there children to charter schools.It's well known that DPS has lost thousands of students to charters and other districts, and that's thousands of parents who do not have children in DPS. To those parents[[ I assume Detroit voters ) the Detroit's school board means nothing to them.
    Maybe it's time for Detroit schools to try something else.

If Granholm and the Legislators plan on doing this, they need to just go ahead and do it. Placing it on the ballot is not only expensive and time consuming, but, they're risking the strong possibility that the voters are going to vote no.

"What is does is makes one person , the mayor accountable for results or corruption. Thats not to say that corruption won't happen, it can happen under any form of governance but the blame will lie at the mayor feet, and not some 11 member board who can say ... Not me! it was the other guys fault."

How has that worked in Detroit? Having one person accountable for the last 30 years hasn't fixed any of the problems in Detroit city government.

"What is does is makes one person , the mayor accountable for results or corruption. Thats not to say that corruption won't happen, it can happen under any form of governance but the blame will lie at the mayor feet, and not some 11 member board who can say ... Not me! it was the other guys fault."

How has that worked in Detroit? Having one person accountable for the last 30 years hasn't fixed any of the problems in Detroit city government.
    Given the state of DPS over the last 30 years what would your solution consist of ?

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    The part of this that I don't like is that he wants to have a smaller elected board to provide checks and balance on the budget. Thats what we have city council for. If this essentially going to be another city department then treat it as such. Last thing we need is another elected board even if its only 7 or 9 to play political football with the mayor on the schools. The mayor thru his chancellor should run the schools, report to the city council on budgetary issues and leave it at that. If the citizens feel that they need a board to complain to about the schools then it should be a small appointed one done by the mayor.
    At least on this issue the Freep agrees with me

http://www.freep.com/article/2009060...S+board+s+cord

"Given the state of DPS over the last 30 years what would your solution consist of ?"

I don't have a solution in mind but I wouldn't give control of one dysfunctional organization to another and expect it to magically start working. Any solution should be based on ideas that have worked in other school districts. Change doesn't always mean better.

4real Guest

I hope to god the mayor does not get to be CEO of the school board.
    Think of the next mayor, like a kwame or someone who will use it
    as a political tool [[as if they don't now) or as a personal piggy bank [[as if the crooks don't do now).
    But I digress... The mayor should have a minor say in what goes on in the DPS but already has too big of a job now. What the DPS needs are FBI agents in charge of the bank accounts because a few are ripping off this city to no end.

"Given the state of DPS over the last 30 years what would your solution consist of ?"

I don't have a solution in mind but I wouldn't give control of one dysfunctional organization to another and expect it to magically start working. Any solution should be based on ideas that have worked in other school districts. Change doesn't always mean better.
    Sometimes you are left with choices between two imperfect solutions. I don't think anyone has ever said that the mayoral option was the magic bullet that was going to make the schools work. However, we do know the current system is not working and doing nothing about it is not an option. The mayoral option is being done in various degrees in NYC, Chicago, Wash DC, Philly, Boston, LA and the mayors of Houston and Dallas are looking at that option as well.

The progress of the schools will depend on the strength of the mayor [[whom we, the voters will hold accountable) strong mayors = good progress, weak mayors= not so good. At least the voters will know who to hold accountable for success or failure.
    Last edited by firstandten; June-03-09 at 12:39 PM.

Regarding DPS, how could anything different possibly be worse than the status quo?

"Regarding DPS, how could anything different possibly be worse than the status quo?"

Look at how the state botched the previous school takeover. It was sold as a way to fix the schools. Instead, it was a failure and poisoned the well for future reform efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Regarding DPS, how could anything different possibly be worse than the status quo?

Remember, this is Detroit, just when you think it can't get any worse, it does.

"Regarding DPS, how could anything different possibly be worse than the status quo?"

Look at how the state botched the previous school takeover. It was sold as a way to fix the schools. Instead, it was a failure and poisoned the well for future reform efforts.
    Like most things in life timing is everything, the first school takeover was doomed because Detroiters didn't want to be dictated to by a republican governor and legislature. Also Archer was more of a transactional mayor than a transformative mayor. In the essay by Wilbur Rich in which he describes the two types of mayors he also talks about the school activists being a sort of public school cartel, which undermined reform as well. The situation now is very different and folks finally realize the system is broke and in need of drastic repair.

I hope the mayor does not get this responsibility.

"Also Archer was more of a transactional mayor than a transformative mayor."

A system of reform that is dependent on the management style of one individual is doomed to fail.

"Also Archer was more of a transactional mayor than a transformative mayor."

A system of reform that is dependent on the management style of one individual is doomed to fail.
    Only in the beginning. Once the reform system is in place you can then put a transactional mayor to continue the process.

I could see Mayor Bing , having run as a transformative candidate bringing in a person like Mr. Bobb to run the schools after Mr. Bobb's year is up.