Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New book

Default New book

My new book will be out in January 2012 [[here in the UK) and will be called 'Dead of Night'. This is the one that is set in Detroit and for which I have had such a lot of help from all of you. Obviously I don't want to give the plot away but I will be posting stuff about it on the forum from time to time. I actually wanted to call it something different - basically something with 'Motown' in the title - but authors are always at the mercy of their publishers marketing department when it comes to titles. So it's 'Dead of Night' and that's that.

So, how does one get on the pre-publication distribution list?! LOL...another dinner raffle?

Congrats on getting it done.

Cheers,
    John

Wow, that seems incredibly fast! Congratulations, can't wait to read it.

Wow! That's great news, Barbara! We will be looking forward to info on how to purchase a copy. Dave has been reading a couple of your books and really enjoying them! Congrats!!!

Thanks, folks. I'll tell you more about it in the coming weeks.

Since you won't reveal... hmmm... Dead of Night ... Ikmen becomes a zombie and marches unnoticed in the Nain Rouge parade to trap the villain?

... and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    ... Ikmen becomes a zombie....
    Speaking of which: Metro Detroit to host events marking World Zombie Day
    Not only is today designated as World Zombie Day, but on Sunday, zombies will be lurching through Royal Oak, much as they will on Oct. 22 in Mt. Clemens. Zombies will even be battling vampires in a roller derby match at Michigan State University's Demonstration Hall on Oct. 29.
    Boo!

Congrats Barbara! Looking forward to reading it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Yes! We have that here in the UK too. My son's girlfriend lurched all the way from Marble Arch to Tottenham Court Road in London.

Thanks everyone. It will be officially published here in January 2012, but I will get some copies in December. So I'll send some over for you to share out and see what you think. I just hope I've done a good job! Basically Ikmen gets involved with a man whose son was murdered 30 years ago in what was very far from being just a drug fuelled homicide. The boy's killer is not some street guy but someone of standing who is still alive. You'll be happy to know that Detroit is already exciting some comment here as people from the UK don't often visit. So I'll have to go on the road and talk about the book and the city and hopefully, maybe, we can raise some awareness. That's the plan anyway. Loads of Brits go to the States every year but they always go to the same places. I can understand that in a way but also it does frustrate me. I always have my best times when I get off the beaten track.

Barbara,

We are all looking forward to reading your new book!! The plot sounds intriguing!! Congrats on wrapping it up so quickly...I was hoping you would have to make a return visit!!!

Kathleen

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Barbara,

We are all looking forward to reading your new book!! The plot sounds intriguing!! Congrats on wrapping it up so quickly...I was hoping you would have to make a return visit!!!

Kathleen
    I really wanted to make a return visit but things have been so tight here financially that it's been impossible. Also so many tight deadlines! The world of publishing is a dog eat dog place now. But hopefully next year I'll be in Detroit again. That's the plan. My husband has finally managed to get another job and so things are improving a little bit.

Barbara...I have not been on the forum for a few years and am interested in picking up your books. Is your screen name your pen name as well? Could you furnish me with some titles? Are all your books Detroit related??

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sycloneman View Post
    Barbara...I have not been on the forum for a few years and am interested in picking up your books. Is your screen name your pen name as well? Could you furnish me with some titles? Are all your books Detroit related??

Thanks!
    sycloneman: Check out Barbara's original posting when she introduced herself to us just about a year ago....
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...coming+detroit

Thanks Kathleen. I'm sorry I missed out on Barbara's visit. I look forward to her book!

Quote Originally Posted by sycloneman View Post
    Thanks Kathleen. I'm sorry I missed out on Barbara's visit. I look forward to her book!
    Hi sycloneman. Sorry I missed you too. So far, only this up coming book is Detroit related, but who knows in the future? I write mainly about Istanbul and London. But even if a city is really well known and attracts loads of tourists I like to write about the lesser known places and sites. The book I'm writing now is set around the London Olympic site but not actually on it. The site is well known and very developed of course, but the area around it is still one of the poorest places in the country. Unlike most authors these days I STILL don't have a website, but you can always contact me via the forum.

Wish me luck! I'm off to London in a minute and on Thursday I MAY have my stand up comedy try out at a pub called the Kings Head. I'm on the reserve list and so I may or may not be picked to perform, but I've got my act sorted out and so I'm ready. I'm a bit scared although I expect I will be completely beside myself and and when my slot is confirmed. Honestly the things you have to do when you're author! Fingers crossed I don't bomb out spectacularly! [[Although I'm fully expecting to!)

Wow! I can't imagine how you must be feeling. I hope you are picked so you can get 'er done. Break a leg!

Honey, some of the most famous performers you've known have had stage fright...it is perfectly normal.

If you handle the crowd as if you were simply stepping into a dinner party, of strangers in a different town perhaps, then your charm will be enough to at least open folks to your humor.

Knock 'em dead...I know you can.

Cheers,
    John

Hi everyone! Didn't get picked for the open comedy spot last week, but I'm now in pursuit of others. Will keep you in the loop. Had a good week in London and got a lot of work done. I also had a snoop at the anti-capitalist protest outside St Paul's Cathedral. This is our response to the protests that started on Wall Street. I know I'm biased, I think that this world wide banking crisis is an example of the sick greed of bankers, politicians - anyone who isn't just Mr, Ms or Mrs General Public, but it was great. They're really organised and have dug in for as long as it takes to really make people think. You can just go down there and spend time with them, which I did, or you can camp on a permanent or a temporary basis. I want to spend some days down there when I can because I think it's important. When your government are doing less than nothing about inequality somebody has to make a stand.

Have got a 5 minute comedy slot at the Comedy Store in Manchester! Bad news is that it isn't until the 15th January. But I can live with it. That said, the Comedy Store audience are rough and tough and so I'll have to devise some new material that's also rough and tough. I'm in editing mode right now as my latest book [[set in London) is due to be delivered in just over a month. It's a job that drives you truly mad. Reading over and correcting your own words, day after day after day. You'll do anything to get out of it. So far this morning I've e mailed a load of friends, made the beds, put on the washing, taken the dustbin out and generally faffed around. Get to work, Barbara!

I like that expression, I think I am an expert faffer. Congrats on that slot, 5 minutes is a good long time for a routine. Rough and tough? How does that go? A one, a two, a faff, a smack? Could you run some ideas by us?

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I like that expression, I think I am an expert faffer. Congrats on that slot, 5 minutes is a good long time for a routine. Rough and tough? How does that go? A one, a two, a faff, a smack? Could you run some ideas by us?
    Yes, you can't beat a good faff. I'll work out my comedy set over the next month or so but I have an idea about self deprecation. We're very good at that in the UK. We don't do much in the way of positive thinking and so it will chime with the audience, most of whom will be under 30. So I'll make fun of my wrinkles, my lack of understanding of popular TV culture [[which is hateful in this country - all 'reality' crap) and then move on to the fact that I kill fictional people for a living. Well, that's the plan so far.

I thought you solved mysterious fictional killings...this is a curious dark twist to you, Barbara!

Sounds like you are leading into some serious generation gap humor. What the kid said to me, what I thought the kid meant, what the kid thought I meant, serious confusion. Happens to me all the time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast