Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Pink on NFL players

For the second year in a row we're treated to pink on the gridiron. Pretty jarring, I think. This whole breast cancer pink ribbon campaign had been getting out of hand for several years. Pink is on all manner of consumer items. The campaign is also questionable in terms of how it really helps women and what kind of dent it makes in reaching a breast cancer cure, and how much money actually goes from this highest profile cause marketing program to research. See books by Samatha King & Barbara Ehrenreich. Arguments have been made that the NFL should have adopted a male cancer cause such as prostate. But lurks behind this ubiquitous campaign is the league's probable attempt to get more women behind football, not just to sanction the game-watching of their men, but because they really control the family's purchasing power - another brilliant marketing stroke.

What, you don't want to wear the ribbon? Hey fellas, this guy doesn't want to wear the ribbon! One of my favorite Seinfeld episodes. I know it was for Aids but it's the same idea. It's more important to follow the Marketing gimmicks than to actually care about the disease so they beat Kramer up over it.

By the way riverfix, you're really going to want to avoid the Lions game this Monday night. . .

http://www.detnews.com/article/20111...wels-in-stands

It's marketing for boobs.

Is the pink in NFL really hawking any specific product?

I thought it was to promote breast cancer awareness and not necessarily promoting any particular brand or product. And while you might think breast cancer is a woman specific disease, it also affects men- so that's why I question that this is geared toward getting more women to watch or to allow their men to watch the NFL or football.

And yes I'm boycotting tonight - oh yeah! LOL

They should hype Prostate cancer the same way. We could all wear brown.

Right on Kenp. Why no campaign for that as well? I am all for it but I would like something for men as well.

It was my understanding that the guys had a choice whether or not they wanted to sport the pink stuff.

Not that it matters, but the contrast of the bright pink and bright blue looks kinda cool, IMO. I don't wear or buy pink stuff myself though. But I was surprised at how many players vocally support the cause, stating that they care deeply for well-being of their wives, daughters, girlfriends, mothers, sisters, aunts, etc.

They auction all the pink items they wear during the games to raise money for breast cancer research.