Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Simpsons could be CANCELLED!

Here's the source.

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?ne...&ocid=ansent11

Say it not so, Max Groening! It's your pride and joy to bring animated satirical comedy to our lives while the world is laughing in our faces. SAVE THE SIMPSONS, NOW!

I quit watching cartoons when I was 18. Yawn. [[Sorry, Danny!)

Maybe it's because I'm older...maybe I have lost my sense of humor...but whatever the reason, I can't stand the Simpson or Family Guy or any of those "satirical" [[fancy word for rude and obnoxious) carton programs. If they never appeared on any television anywhere again, I would be the happiest TV watcher on earth. To me, they no redeeming value at all.

On the other hand...none of the producers or writers on the major networks seem to be able to come up with an original show. So maybe the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know.

I've been passing up TV lately on most nights, except for watching the Lions, Tiger and Wings.

I've watched exactly 3 episodes of the Simpsons in 20 years. Strangely. it seems to be very big in the UK and other parts of Europe. I could never understand why the Brits love that show so much.

Occurrence Guest

The Simpsons should have ended the show after season 9. I wish they knew when to hang it up.

Seasons 4 and 5 is some of the best stuff ever written.

The airways are filled with mindless junk like Survivor, Dancing with the Stars, Jersey Shore and Jerry Springer yet people are bashing the Simpsons...?....?...?
    While I must admit that I watch Homer a lot less than I used to 15 years ago, it is still entertaining when I turn it on. Beyond the base level humor, Matt Groeing does still touch all the latest hot / controversial topics.

To an entire society of speculative conspiracy theorists...this is the biggest signal of the end of the world in mainstream media EVER. LOL. Some of them think certain dates of big tragedies have been predicted on that show...I kid you not. I think some even consider them prophets of doom. Who knows, they may be right.

Cheers!

Meh. It's been on long enough.

Used to love the Simpson's when they first came out. Now it's just run for way too long. I guess they still get enough viewers, but it hasn't been funny for me in a long long time.

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    The airways are filled with mindless junk like Survivor, Dancing with the Stars, Jersey Shore and Jerry Springer yet people are bashing the Simpsons...?....?...?
    I'm not really "bashing" the Simpsons, but I doubt you can watch an episode made within the last 10-12 seasons, and say it's good, especially when compared to episodes in the show's golden era.

Every show runs it's course, it's natural. They should have known when to end it.

Noohhhh!!!

My mate Phil Retrospector made his tribute to Homer and Marge two years ago. It's been seen way too little. Supported by the Music of Coldplay [[Yellow) and Lionel Richie & Detroit sister Diana Ross [[Endless Love). Enjoy.

Say it's not so, Max Groening! It's your pride and joy to bring animated satirical comedy to our lives while the world is laughing in our faces. SAVE THE SIMPSONS, NOW!

Maybe now, he should go "back to the basics", and do a "Life in Hell" animated series. That would do it for me. And not on Fox either, maybe PBS. I haven't watched the last four seasons of the Simpson's.

Million Dollar Question:

What show would take The Simpsons' infamous 8 PM time slot it has held for over 20 years?

Guess that was a little premature. Old Homer has at least a couple more seasons left in him.
    http://www.suntimes.com/entertainmen...e-seasons.html

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Guess that was a little premature. Old Homer has at least a couple more seasons left in him.
    That kind of bums me out. The show really needs to end.

I still think it's weird that there is a whole generation of current Simpsons fans in their teens who have no idea just how great the show was back during seasons 3-7. Some of these people don't even know Conan Obrien was a main writer/producer for a couple seasons.

According to this link, The Simpsons has been renewed for two more seasons, bringing it up to 25 total.

YAY! The Simpson's are saved [[ for the moment) Keep the animated shot going for 30 seasons. No, make it up to 50 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    The Simpsons should have ended the show after season 9. I wish they knew when to hang it up.

Seasons 4 and 5 is some of the best stuff ever written.
    I agree. I grew up on comics/cartoons [[wanted to be a cartoonist). The Simpsons I watched since Tracey Ullman, felt let down by the T-shirt hype in the first season, and it wasn't until early '94 that I was hooked back in like a fanatic. I recorded every episode, and me and my friends could sum up and relate every ideological phenomenon in a line cribbed from their shows.

The Conan O' Brien/ George Meyers seasons were the best. I didn't mind the Lisa-preachey ones from '96-'97. Once you had the Simpsons going to New York [[seeing Alfred E. Nueman ?!?) and the "real Seymour Skinner"-type soap opera-development episodes, it broke stride-stayed strong-but by the time I'm seeing Homer fight a Biker by swinging their bikes I thought "Oops, this doesn't look good-it's like they're daring me to switch it off."

The area code episode/season premiere [[very relevant as it was) was the final straw. I may've seen three or four episodes since that I liked. It has lost it's "chino" [[what I call charming innovation-what makes for memorable scenes, characters, music, etc.-not just clunky, creative devices that stand alone on their own-like some kind of collection of stupid LEGO pieces ready to be filled-in in and around seamy blanks). You had less Itchy & Scratchy, too many pop-culture references and celebrity walk-ons, less cool angles, less cool atmospheric set-up shots [[like a decrepit corridor with dripping Nuclear ooze), less funny cutaway gags [[floorboards, under the Earth's strata, etc.), and less rough drawing schemes. It was too refined, and almost everything had that straight on sit-com stage look [[that Family Guy has). It lost it's vulnerability [[still a great way to take folks to the edge-the way Lynch or Andy Kaufman could), atmosphere, intelligent over-the-head references [[especially historical stuff ripped right from the People's Almanac), as it tried to compete with Family Guy with non-stop lead-you-by-the-nose cheap gags.

In short it became "Zombie Simpsons" http://deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/zs1/.

With Harry Shearer leaving, maybe the show can be put to sleep, finally [[to quote why he left S.N.L. for "creative differences"-“Yeah, I was creative and they were different.”). Anything else would be flogging Mr. Ed's remains.

Yeah maybe it has run its course. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Meh. It's been on long enough.