Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Buildings along Merchant's Row

I would like to know are the buildings that line Merchants Row are on the historical registers list? I love how each building has it's own design such as the brownstones in Brooklyn does. The Himelhoch building is my favorite and then the building that once housed Meyer's Jewelry. The reason why I had asked is for I remember during the Kilpatrick administration the Hughes nad Hatcher and Sanders building were razed to make way for a lousy parking structure. I hope that any other building on along merchant's row will not be razed in order to make way for another parking structure.

I thought Hughes/Hatcher became Hockeytown???

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    I thought Hughes/Hatcher became Hockeytown???

It did, but that was a different location. The H&H being referred to here was next door to Sander's on the West side of Woodward between Campus Martius and State. It was built around 1969 and was six stories with an all brown aluminum facade.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2uL9b4oOko...nd+hatcher.jpg
    Last edited by Eric_c; October-05-11 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Added a pic

Sadly I remember the most beautiful building along lower Woodward [[in modern times) was lost in a fire back in the 1980s... the B. Siegel Building, which was on the SE corner of Woodward/State IIRC...

It was a beautiful building made of a iron facade I believe. Although the facade survived the fire, it received heat warpage, and so it had to come down. It is pictured in the W. Hawkins Ferry book on Detroit.

Here's a view of the building, which I believe was the oldest surviving building along lower Woodward...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/37603091@N02/3528121147/
    Last edited by Gistok; October-05-11 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_c View Post
    It did, but that was a different location. The H&H being referred to here was next door to Sander's on the West side of Woodward between Campus Martius and State. It was built around 1969 and was six stories with an all brown aluminum facade.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2uL9b4oOko...nd+hatcher.jpg
    What year was the buildings razed?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Sadly I remember the most beautiful building along lower Woodward [[in modern times) was lost in a fire back in the 1980s... the B. Siegel Building, which was on the SE corner of Woodward/State IIRC...
    Yep, I remember that night. I watched from across the street as it burned. Made me want to cry.