Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ken Burns's "Prohibition" on PBS

The second part of Ken Burns's three part "Prohibition" was on PBS tonight.

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/prohibition

The first part was great.

Anything by Ken Burns is bound to be great. And indeed, it was.

i wonder if there will any mention of the purples

I'm DVRing it. My TV is currently a Tigervision for the forseeable future.

I hope Ken Burns is still around to do a series on The Drug War and the huge stinky fart that whole mess is after our leaders wake up and realize its huge failure..

A decent number, along with some images I knew are Purple photos, some they didn't specifically ID.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I hope Ken Burns is still around to do a series on The Drug War and the huge stinky fart that whole mess is after our leaders wake up and realize its huge failure..
    I have to think that one of the main reasons for Ken Burns doing the doc on Prohibition is to draw analogies between that experience and our current dilemma with the War on Drugs.

There is nothing wrong with the war on drugs. People shouldn't use drugs.

Ken Burns should do a documentary on Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post

There is everything wrong with the war on drugs -- it drives huge amounts of money into the hands of thugs, and it can never be successful. watch burn's show, you need to learn something

I watched Burns' show. It highlighted how enforcement of the law was poorly planned and underfunded.

I think the MADD are a branch of the Women's Temperance League

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post

People shouldn't drink or smoke either... but hey...

Our government likes to prove that they can be as adept as any crazy person.

Definition of Insanity.... "doing the same thing over and over again... and expecting a different result."

detroitjim Guest

A bit of Detroit Prohibition history was revealed on yesterdays episode.

One of the purple gang was named "Bernstein"

Any realtion Sam?

Yeah, I've heard that the Bernstein practice is the last remaining vestige of the Purple days. But I never checked up on it, so it could be a canard.

Beer, wine and hard liquor are drugs, so maybe the present War on Drugs should be named the War on Some Drugs.

The NFL is the poster child for this moronery. They wave the flag, cut to a beer commercial, and then, when back live, the paid shills [[announcers) rag on the latest slacker player caught tokin' on some drugs. After that, they lionize a stud player willing to take a huge shot of corticosteroids to be "up" for the game. Finally, they confirm how the NFL is diligent about performance enhancing drugs by pointing out that the team's third string center was banned for failing a test. Nope, no player ever became a star using steroids, just those cheaters sitting on the pine jealous that they can't be a true American, play by the rules, and become an example of success for the children like Arnold.

Here are the side effects of corticosteroids

Potential Corticosteroid Side Effects:
    Like any pain medication, corticosteroids have potential side effects. These include:
    • Nausea or vomiting
    • Headaches
    • Dizziness
    • Difficulty sleeping
    • Skin changes, such as acne, redness or excess hair growth
    • Psychological changes, such as anxiety, depression or mood swings
    • A change in menstrual cycles
    Unless these symptoms persist or become bothersome, it is usually not necessary to seek medical advice.
    Serious Corticosteroid Side Effects:
    Some side effects of corticosteroids require immediate medical attention. If any of the following symptoms occur while taking a corticosteroid, contact your doctor immediately:
    • Excessive swelling in the hands, feet or face
    • A rash that does not go away
    • Visual changes or eye pain
    • Tarry bowel movements
    • New muscle pains or weakness

Hey...if you disagree with which drugs are regulated, I recommend you contact your Congressperson!

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    I have to think that one of the main reasons for Ken Burns doing the doc on Prohibition is to draw analogies between that experience and our current dilemma with the War on Drugs.
    As it was clearly stated, a minority pushed through the amendment to the Constitution that killed the 4th largest industry [[at that time). There are dangerous parallels today with the obstructionist attitudes of the GOP.

Notwithstanding my previous comments, I watched all three parts of this documentary and kind of felt like Burns phoned this one in. It lacked the detail and narrative of his other documentaries. His group of "expert" commentators also seemed of lesser quality. Plus, it seemed largely pro-alcohol, until he thuddingly mentioned at the end of the 3rd part all of the negative effects of alcohol.

Watching Ken Burns excellent series Prohibition the phrase "Only in America " comes to mind, Prohibition was brought about by the self riotous religious puritans, and yes their still around.

One of the people on the program said it best "You can't legislate morality". Be it liquor, drugs, guns or anything else, people obey the laws they choose.

Occurrence Guest

I never understood why we throw people in jail for using drugs, while at the same time being allowed to abuse one of the most dangerous drugs [[alcohol) at will.

The drug war already starts off from a losing position due to the hypocrisy. That alone shows it can and will never work.

Drink up! This Bud's for you.

The thing that really caught my attention was the Anti-Saloon League's role in getting the 16th Amendment passed. A morally conservative movement willing to tax every American so they can find a replacement for the tax dollars that would be lost by outlawing alcohol - truly a foreign concept in these times.

I watched all three online and I enjoyed the doc. I was disappointed that he did not spend time on one of the bootleggers who built an legacy in the United States: Joseph P. Kennedy

It was really interesting to see how the income tax was created to eliminate the government's dependence on tax revenues from alcohol sales

Burns's point is that the all or nothing dichotomy never works. Compromise through regulation works.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast