Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Anyone lived in a Boydell loft?

The Brooklyn Lofts in Corktown and some of the downtown-area ones look appealing for the price [[like $600 for a huge one-bedroom, very nicely outfitted, utilities included). Anyone have any horror stories or good thing to say?

horrible. they never fix anything for 4 of the people and myself that have lived there. many problems, but they do have some awesome places !

I lived in their Iron St. property for a year and a half. Like the previous poster said, they really are awesome spaces, and they really are cheap. But, naturally, there's issues.

I think it comes down to this: how much crap are you willing to put up with to have a sweet loft for pennies?

Two horror stories:

#1. Came home one evening only to find that the upstairs neighbor's bathtub or toilet had poured water through the their floor [[my ceiling) directly onto my brand new bed. Total loss. Management credited me $100 for the damage.

#2. Live-in girlfriend was at home during the day while I was at work. Knock on the door. Her, being cautious and smart, didn't answer the door. Another knock. She didn't answer. Then, the crowbar begins prying through the door frame. She pounds on the door, scares the would-be thieves off. Thankfully, the next door neighbor with the shotgun stayed with her until I came home from work.

Again, cool lofts, but you may have to deal with some things.

I'd say as a general rule that if you're looking for somewhere that's safe, pretty, and with good service, you're looking at a $1 per square foot. If you're spending less than that in the general downtown area, you're probably going to be sacrificing 1 or 2 of those 3.

I'm not feeling the quest for loft life if I have to have a crow bar at my door!! That was very BOLD, yet these criminal robbers try that at the 'wrong' door the coroner will be getting a call!

Lofts with their high ceilings/ tall windows tend to be too cool in winter for my tastes and my days of 'roughing' it for the sake of aesthetic are over. Sounds like a glorified 'slumlord' to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    ....Two horror stories:

#1. Came home one evening only to find that the upstairs neighbor's bathtub or toilet had poured water through the their floor [[my ceiling) directly onto my brand new bed. Total loss. Management credited me $100 for the damage.

#2. Live-in girlfriend was at home during the day while I was at work. Knock on the door. Her, being cautious and smart, didn't answer the door. Another knock. She didn't answer. Then, the crowbar begins prying through the door frame. She pounds on the door, scares the would-be thieves off. Thankfully, the next door neighbor with the shotgun stayed with her until I came home from work.

Again, cool lofts, but you may have to deal with some things.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-03-11 at 05:57 AM.

Lots of parties, noise [[unless you enjoy techno) and the occasional high-on [[e and c) in the halls at the one in Greektown. Brooklyn seemed to have similar but fewer issues although I didn't spend as much time there. Mind you I haven't stepped foot in there in about 4 years so your mileage may vary.

Yes, I lived in one until recently and I can't imagine the building is even liveable now. For some reason they were called "The Ivory Lofts" and are at Gratiot and Seyburn near Van Dyke. When I moved in in 1996 most all 11 units were occupied. When I moved out a couple years ago only one. A 5-story bldg. that used to be a warehouse for a moving company. My unit was $450 for 1200 sq. ft, free electric, a gas furnace and plenty of running water, i.e. from the roof, from the frozen & then busted pipes in the winter and from upstairs neighbor's tub. Maintenance was almost non-existent - I did my own. There were break-ins at other units and people keep ripping off the washer/dryer coin boxes. Wood floors and ceiling with no noise insulation. I slept with ear-plugs in for about 10 years.
    I stayed as long as I did only because I'd built a great darkroom there. Squatters and fear of the place going up in flames finally pushed me out. So I think this may be one of the worst "run" by Boydell.

NOT recommended. I currently live in one & have lived here since 2007. Maintenance is non-existent. There used to be somebody that worked in the office on the main floor who at least tried to help when tenants had issues. Now the office is locked up and the only time anybody is seen in there is on the day to collect rent. When something goes wrong, there is nobody to contact. Call the office and leave a message but do not expect help or a response. Some of the issues I've had:

1- the dumpster in the parking lot was filled to overflowing. Instead of having it emptied, for some reason they had another dumpster plopped down next to it. The garbage filled dumpster sat there for about 3 months during the spring/early summer, despite numerous complaints. I finally threatened to call the health department and they finally removed it.

2 - when appliances break, you will not get them fixed or replaced. Dishwasher broke 2 years ago and nobody ever fixed it or even looked at it, despite numerous complaints

3 - the amazing wall of windows I have is also full of broken panes - 5 of them are being held together with electrical tape. Management will not fix/replace them. All of the windows leak when it rains/snows. Trying to heat this place in the winter is a nightmare. Yeah, the $700 rent is cheap but heating costs during a cold month are about $300+ so it's really no bargain when you factor that in.

4 - nobody maintains the grounds or property. Hallways are filthy with animal waste. Grass is not mowed and as a matter of fact, the city slapped a BLIGHT notice on the building last week.

4 - I live on the top floor and have at this time, 5 ongoing leaks in the roof. Even when it is not raining, the roof leaks. There is a tarp up on top of the building and water settles in under it and leaks for weeks. There are constantly new leaks cropping up for a few days, they dry up and a new one starts. I have to keep rearranging my furniture and have 5 buckets set up all over the place.

I could go on & on! Some people say "you get what you pay for" - well, here you get LESS than what you pay for. This is my last month living here, I've had enough.

I lived in one for a few years. Loved the location, liked the space itself, but did NOT like the way they ran things. Constantly broken elevator, leaky ceilings, plaster falling on our heads, thin walls with shady people and loud stereos on the other side of them, old radiators that had been painted over so many times there was no way to control them... I could go on.
    My biggest peeve was the way the management seemed to always be looking for a way to rip us off. I don't know how many times we got some BS demand for money we didn't owe them. Each time I had to pull out the lease, copy it, highlight sections, copy what they'd sent us and send it all with an angry letter by certified mail threatening legal action to prove we didn't owe them money. We were one day late on the rent one month and instead of knocking or calling to remind us, they taped an eviction notice to our door. Classy. I'd steer clear, unless you have a lawyer in your family.

Yuck! Sounds a bit too much like 'camping' and I never liked that as a kid. And I always knew heat was a an issue - I must be toasty warm not just knocking off the chill with icy finger tips when I'm home. Forget it! The loft I'd do would probably be too polished and refined [[at least well maintained with insulated windows) to be true 'bohemian' cave loft living. LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by tkierpiec View Post
    Trying to heat this place in the winter is a nightmare. Yeah, the $700 rent is cheap but heating costs during a cold month are about $300+ so it's really no bargain when you factor that in.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-03-11 at 06:27 PM.

Yeah, I think some loft owners feel they've got this 'diamond' rough high ticket commodity that people [[or demographic) will take at any price or condition. Its almost made loft living a negative prospect unless you find someone reputable. No thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
    ...My biggest peeve was the way the management seemed to always be looking for a way to rip us off. I don't know how many times we got some BS demand for money we didn't owe them. Each time I had to pull out the lease, copy it, highlight sections, copy what they'd sent us and send it all with an angry letter by certified mail threatening legal action to prove we didn't owe them money. We were one day late on the rent one month and instead of knocking or calling to remind us, they taped an eviction notice to our door. Classy. I'd steer clear, unless you have a lawyer in your family.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-03-11 at 06:28 PM.

Boydell owns only one nice property in the city, the Harmonie Park lofts, a quiet and private building with only 12 units. The lofts are spacious and clean and the building doesn't attract thugs or druggies.

Quote Originally Posted by BRAZZMAN View Post
    Yes, I lived in one until recently and I can't imagine the building is even liveable now. For some reason they were called "The Ivory Lofts" and are at Gratiot and Seyburn near Van Dyke. When I moved in in 1996 most all 11 units were occupied. When I moved out a couple years ago only one. A 5-story bldg. that used to be a warehouse for a moving company. My unit was $450 for 1200 sq. ft, free electric, a gas furnace and plenty of running water, i.e. from the roof, from the frozen & then busted pipes in the winter and from upstairs neighbor's tub. Maintenance was almost non-existent - I did my own. There were break-ins at other units and people keep ripping off the washer/dryer coin boxes. Wood floors and ceiling with no noise insulation. I slept with ear-plugs in for about 10 years.
    I stayed as long as I did only because I'd built a great darkroom there. Squatters and fear of the place going up in flames finally pushed me out. So I think this may be one of the worst "run" by Boydell.
    Most likely it was owned by the John F. Ivory Moving and Storage Co. and used as one of their warehouses.

If you want a better loft experience [[still being in a loft, but with everything, you know, working) the Rivertown Lofts, Stroh's Place and the ones on Woodward north of Compuware are nice.

I looked at 4 different Boydell buildings when I was looking for a new place 4 years ago. Then, they were nice looking inside and out, but the presenters were always trying to get more money for a space by telling us the most desireable ones for the price were already "reserved," unless of course you had a better offer. And they always had to show the spaces to a couple of different renters at the same time, making you wait awhile until others came in. This was so that we would all feel like if we wanted a particular space, we felt rushed to hurry before someone else got it, which was quite uncomfortable.

Then I saw the people they had cleaning out the units. ALL OF THEM were eastern european immigrants, damn near elderly, and not being paid very much from what I could linguistically piece together. The lofts tend to have a steady turnover of renters, so these ladies were always busy.

Then there were the two pitbulls that ran out of a lady's loft and headed right for me as i screamed down the hall.

And the manager lady who got mad at me when I accused them of trying to rent the Grand Blvd lofts by the cubic ft. after she she twirled around a $700/ 850sqft bi-level/ no utilities included loft and said, "but you get all this space!"

You need a car if you're considering the milwaulkee lofts. There are no buses running through the industrial graveyard.

The ones in Corktown get their cars broken into more often than they would like to admit.

And it's really easy to break into the spaces on the first floors of these places through their single paned windows. Those are usually the cheaper units, the ones whos price is advertised, because the floors are concrete [[brrrrr) and not wood.

If I needed a short term month-to-month, like if i had to find a place in a hurry, I would rent there. But not otherwise. Loft spaces for sale are in much better condition and in this market, are selling quite low.

^^^^ Eww! Unsecured pit bulls kept in a loft [[and the usual accompanying 'my dogs don't bite' commentary)!!!!!! That would have been a deal breaker for me right there.

I had a friend who lived in the Banner Linen lofts for a couple of years. It was fun watching the hapless "maintenance" staff try to take care of the place. Once they were trying to patch the roof with paint-on tar - it was obvious they had never attempted any kind of roof repair. It was like a cartoon. They'd play around with the tar paper trying to get it to stay down in the wind. They smartly tied a rope to one of the cans of tar so it wouldn't blow off the roof. Instead, it blew off the roof and swung into the large hallway window on the top floor. That being said, some of the lofts in that building were beyond cool. The most amazing loft I've ever seen was a three stories tall. You entered on the third floor - you walk in and it's just a big, empty room with a 10' x 10' square hole in the floor with a stairway going down. The rest of the loft was arranged in rooms built on scaffolding in the lower two floors ringing a sort of atrium, with the hole in the top room acting as a skylight. Another loft was built around the original office to the laundry, and incorporated it's walk-in safe to the design.

The 'hapless' maintenance folk where probably corralled from COTS [[the homeless shelter) for a twenty or some some drink etc. I knew this property owner that used to do that. So cheap, they'd never hire a real contractor. Just troll for those pressed to be talked to scale a roof for patchwork repairs. Some here may know of whom I am referring too...
    Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    I had a friend who lived in the Banner Linen lofts for a couple of years. It was fun watching the hapless "maintenance" staff try to take care of the place. Once they were trying to patch the roof with paint-on tar - it was obvious they had never attempted any kind of roof repair. It was like a cartoon. They'd play around with the tar paper trying to get it to stay down in the wind. They smartly tied a rope to one of the cans of tar so it wouldn't blow off the roof. Instead, it blew off the roof and swung into the large hallway window on the top floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    The 'hapless' maintenance folk where probably corralled from COTS [[the homeless shelter) for a twenty or some some drink etc.
    My friend was under the impression that they were the owner's relatives brought over on work visas from eastern Europe somewhere. That was the rumor, at least. I don't think they were homeless as they would show up in their own cars.

^^
    Zacha, would that be Joel or Dennis?

Stromberg2

stromberg, I think Zacha means Dennis Screwyoupopolos. I believe he started out by himself with the Greektown Lofts in the early 1980's. Now is part of a group, Boydell, that "manages" all of them around town. Most of the maint. guys that showed up at my place could not speak English or very little but seemed eager. Only a couple that showed up to deal with plumbing problems in my 13 years there knew what they were doing. They would never, ever keep appointments to look at something but rather would just show up [[or not) unannounced and blame me if I was not at home. More later.

^^^ Nah, it was not these folk. They did not own any lofts. Seems like many of the lofts are sewed-up with the 'frick and frack' folks named already of whom I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAZZMAN View Post
    stromberg, I think Zacha means Dennis Screwyoupopolos. I believe he started out by himself with the Greektown Lofts in the early 1980's. Now is part of a group, Boydell, that "manages" all of them around town. Most of the maint. guys that showed up at my place could not speak English or very little but seemed eager. Only a couple that showed up to deal with plumbing problems in my 13 years there knew what they were doing. They would never, ever keep appointments to look at something but rather would just show up [[or not) unannounced and blame me if I was not at home. More later.