Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default just saw another Detroit drugs documentary....

Yes, all the usual suspects and stereotypes. Pushers, Kingpins, the Best Freinds. The north east side of the city between 7th and 9th mile road being the most dangerous part of town. It's all being shown as a slick editorial frenzy. Something about rappers Dew and Champtown. I'm sure some of you might have seen this documentary before. This was the first time I saw it over here in the Netherlands.

I've never been in Detroit, or America for that mather. But really.... is it all that bad in the US of A? We over here are stereotyped as clogs wearing pot smokers, a liberal country where drugs laws are much more lenient [[although cocaine, Heroin and other class A drugs are illegal here as well). Yet, it seems our society copes way better with drugs problems.

What am I supposed to believe about the American society, and in particular in Detroit?

There's a "9th mile road" in Detroit?

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume by "7th mile road" they mean "7 Mile Road."

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    What am I supposed to believe about the American society, and in particular in Detroit?
    I think we have more to learn from you than you from us.

What was the name of the documentary? Is there a link?

[[Funny. Typing in the dark, I spelled it "focumentary" then spelled "dark" as "fark." LOL! Filed for future use.)

The problem in Detroit specifically is that there isn't a strong police force to crack down on drug trafficking and really crime in general. This weak police force is from a lack of money. Lack of money from lack of tax payers. Tax payers leave because of high crime. It's a horrible cycle.

This happens for decades and whole families grow up knowing nothing but crime while those who can get away do so. All that leaves is poverty and people trying to make easy money anyway they can. It's a little more complicated than that but that's the gist of it.

Fixing the problem is easier said than done, but not impossible.

Q: ..."is it all that bad in the US of A?..."
    A: Yes, for many.

A truly dramatic transfer of wealth and power has occurred over the past few decades. In few places has it been as acute as in Detroit.

J's entry: "...I think we have more to learn from you than you from us..." is worth pondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I think we have more to learn from you than you from us.

What was the name of the documentary? Is there a link?

[[Funny. Typing in the dark, I spelled it "focumentary" then spelled "dark" as "fark." LOL! Filed for future use.)
    Hahaha!! You got me there! And yes, in the documentary they spoke of 6, 7 and 8 mile, not 9.
    I had to look it up and it was an episode of Gangland Season 4, episode4.

Surprised to see it's on Youtube.

Part1.

Part 2.
    Part2.
    [[Somehow this link won't embed.... Some kind of flaw in the forum, Gstok?)

Part3.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; October-02-11 at 05:53 PM.

The second link contained the forbidden three letter acronym Zulu Oscar Golf. Tinyurl.com can be used to bypass that problem.

Thanks for the videos!

My thought is that we have more guns than people over here on this side. Run into almost any 16 year old kid on the streets here and they just want to make a badass name for themselves and the quickest way to do that is to use a gun.

The comedian Bill Hicks has a hilarious but very true skit on guns/violence in America VS guns/violence in Europe.

I just found it on Grooveshark http://grooveshark.com/#/s/The+War/2KTsz4?src=5 The entire bit is amazing but the relevant part starts at 5:15 Enjoy.

"Give me all your money Ive got a soccer ball"

LOL @ hillbilly aliens!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    The second link contained the forbidden three letter acronym Zulu Oscar Golf. Tinyurl.com can be used to bypass that problem.

Thanks for the videos!
    I am completely unaware of that acronym. Anything to do with this?

yup, thats it

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    I am completely unaware of that acronym. Anything to do with this?
    I would assume so, although I have no way to confirm that other than to ask others. The Tinyurl workaround is sufficient for me.

This is the third time I've seen the censorbot corrupt a youtube URL here because of that particular acronym. That's puzzlingly frequent. [[I have no affiliation with or interest in any group using that acronym.)

If I were to design a fix for this inconvenience, I'd write a rule to have the censorbot ignore everything within a URL, or within a URL containing "youtube." Ideally, you'd want it to ignore everything within a random string of characters but how do you get a computer to recognize that a string of characters is random? A failed spellcheck dictionary search? Interesting question.

Okay, TMI. Apologies. I am a recovering software geek.

Thanks again for the videos. I hadn't seen them before.

There was a user here that used to post a lot about the Zero Oscar Germany. The filter was probably in response to that person.

Ah, that explains it.

Just tonight I had to override that Zulu Oscar Golf problem here. That's the fourth time. What are the odds? LOL!