Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Greed

Default Greed

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0820-09.htm

from wikipedia Jonas Salk

... When news of the vaccine's success was made public on April 12, 1955, Salk was hailed as a "miracle worker", and the day "almost became a national holiday." His sole focus had been to develop a safe and effective vaccine as rapidly as possible, with no interest in personal profit. When he was asked in a televised interview who owned the patent to the vaccine, Salk replied: "There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?"[4]

[Salk obviously came from a different age.}

Good article. But we're all greedy, even the poor and we're not turning back to innocence no matter how much we claim that is really what we want.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Good article. But we're all greedy, even the poor and we're not turning back to innocence no matter how much we claim that is really what we want.
    I disagree. There's a big difference between wanting to live a comfortable life, providing for your family, feeling somewhat secure and greed.

"it is a sin directly against one's neighbor, since one man cannot over-abound in external riches, without another man lacking them... it is a sin against God, just as all mortal sins, inasmuch as man contemns things eternal for the sake of temporal things"

Thomas Aquinas

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I disagree. There's a big difference between wanting to live a comfortable life, providing for your family, feeling somewhat secure and greed.
    So you're saying that's all any poor person wants? Being poor does not make you a saint. There are greedy poor people, trust me, just as there are generous rich people.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    So you're saying that's all any poor person wants? Being poor does not make you a saint. There are greedy poor people, trust me, just as there are generous rich people.
    Actually, I didn't specify anything about poor people or rich people. When you say all people are greedy, I think you're merely projecting your thoughts. How could you possibly know how all people think? I would agree that greed has hit an all time societal high, but stating that all people are greedy is a bit far reaching.

In recent times the current Democrat operative has added "Greedy" to his lexicon and is using it almost as much as they use "fair" to brainwash the masses with class warfare that only people who have a lot of wealth have Greed and they don't need their wealth and shouldn't have it anyway. It really doesn't belong to them - it's "right"fully belongs to those in "poverty" because they don't have enough. Greed or avarice is an insatiable desire for gain from any source which many greedy needy also have in abundance. We are expected to believe it's their "right" [[another great Left Wing word). They should earn as much as they can, and get out of our Democrat induced trickle up poverty.
    Last edited by coracle; October-01-11 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Actually, I didn't specify anything about poor people or rich people. When you say all people are greedy, I think you're merely projecting your thoughts. How could you possibly know how all people think? I would agree that greed has hit an all time societal high, but stating that all people are greedy is a bit far reaching.
    Okay, you're right on that. I meant, all groups of people exhibit greed, not that every single person is greedy.