Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Harlequinn cafe: still in business?

Does anyone kno whether or not the harlequinn cafe in west village still open?

Harlequin closed in late 2004, if I recall correctly.

Another of Detroit's lost restaurant jewels. I don't think there is anything in that space now, would be nice if someone could open another joint there.

Completely empty—was by there the other day. The harlequin painted over the door is still there. I miss that place—quirky as hell, but could be very good indeed. Is the chef still in the area/working somewhere else?

Sherman Sharpe was quirky when he took over; the Harlequin Cafe of the 1980s/1990s was a really anachronistic place by today's standards - with old dudes in white gloves tending bar behind the pharmacy counter.

I miss so many of Detroit's quirky places. My favorite was the "old Rhino."

Man, what a place! All of the Ebony/Jet models came from Chicago on a weekly basis, Stevie Wonder, Emanuel Stewart, Bill Gates and so many other celebrities.

I don't think you'll find another place like that if you walked from Coast to Coast.

Detroit was such a special place and so Unique!!

That's him—Sherman Sharpe. Couldn't remember the name. Google seems to reveal nothing after the Harlequin closed. Wonder where he went.

The pharmacy space used by the Harlequin still exists. Parkstone Apts. owner has left it intact. It would still make for a great restaurant space. Unfortunately, it's far from turn-key. Completely new painting, carpeting, seating and lighting would be needed. Lots of investment needed in the kitchen too. The $$$ required would be daunting, no doubt. It's a pure destination location with almost no street visibility. Traditional small business lenders wouldn't have any interest. Maybe somebody could attempt a start-up as part of a Food Network reality show. Nah, probably not. It sure would be great to see that space used again though.

What was in the space prier to the Harlequin?

For a while, Sherman had some fine weekend jazz....'quirky' is a good term for the Harlequin and the former owner...

I think that the area should be given over to the artsy and creative people. Harlequin Cafe could become a coffee shop or a coffee shop could be put on that street. An art gallery, health food store, and some type of inexpensive bagel shop could go in the area also. The store that sit on the corner could become a real mom and pop market

"Quirky" is a generous word for Sherman. My, as well as friends' experiences with him, have led me to know him as a petty crook.

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    I miss so many of Detroit's quirky places. My favorite was the "old Rhino."

Man, what a place! All of the Ebony/Jet models came from Chicago on a weekly basis, Stevie Wonder, Emanuel Stewart, Bill Gates and so many other celebrities.

I don't think you'll find another place like that if you walked from Coast to Coast.

Detroit was such a special place and so Unique!!
    Speaking of the Old Rhino, does anyone have any pics of either the inside or outside of it? I used to hang at the "New" Rhino in Harmonie Park back in '06 and had a great time there. Folks there always spoke very highly of the old one and I am very curious... Thanks

I wish I would have taken pictures upstairs in the old one. I remember the few times that I went we would hang upstairs pretty much alone. Great furniture and ambiance up there.