The auto industry in Detroit, MI is much like a car itself -- it's been built from the ground up, improved, broken down and been repaired. As a main staple of employment for many locals, the industry can either drive or drag family finances. Detroit has come a long way since Henry Ford's introduction of the Model T and now there exists such a thing called two-tier wages for employees at America's 'Big Three' automobile companies, General Motors, Ford, and Chrysler. Given our country's current economic downfalls, high unemployment rates, families in Detroit may or may not want to rely on the auto industry for jobs, but many have no other choice. In May 2011, the Department of Labor reported metropolitan Detroit's unemployment rate at over 11 percent, with the city's unemployment rate for May 2011 at 20 percent.

I'm filming short documentary [[5-10 minutes) on the auto industry for Pavement Pieces, an online publication based in Manhattan, NY. I aim to cover the intertwining of the auto industry, the city and a family of generational auto industry employees. My short documentary aims to profile a family of generational auto industry workers [[preferably in Dearborn, MI) and the challenges they face. I want to focus on how they have faired in the business since their first relative was employed through today.

The documentary will answer the following questions: is Detroit bouncing back from years of auto industry struggles? What will it take to get the industry back on track? How can the auto industry better serve Detroit auto employees? How are generational auto workers fairing now, compared to when Detroit was booming?

I will be in Detroit from October 13 - 16 to film on location. My b-roll will include city shots, cars [[new and old), assembly lines, photographs and various aspects of the auto industry. I need to find a family of generational auto industry employees [[currently or previously employed).

The story will be completed by October 16, when I land back in New York.

Although I've never been to Detroit, MI before, I have covered various working class stories for Pavement Pieces before from drive-in movie theaters to farms.

Thank You Very Much,
Elyse A. Mickalonis
518-951-9615
eam488@nyu.edu
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/elyse-mickalonis/28/312/b81

Requirements: I am looking for a family that has had several generations work in the Detroit, MI auto industry. Family members can either be employed, laid off or retired. Preferably a local family in Detroit or Dearborn, MI. Must be available to speak in person in October.