Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Some Observations on the American Jobs Act

This is an article published by a financial adviser that I liked.

Some Observations on the American Jobs Act

Here are some of my unexpurgated observations on the Americans Jobs Act provisions. In general, I’m perplexed at how spending $450 billion creates jobs. I’m also perplexed that if we can easily find $450 billion more in spending cuts, why aren’t we using them now? So, don’t be offended, but here are my thoughts, [[in approximate order from good to bad) for what they’re worth:

· Cutting Corporate Loopholes: Great idea! Let’s have a fair corporate system. No arguments, complaints or comments. The oil companies can pay taxes like you and I.
    · Hiring Veterans: Good idea. They earned it, and in my experience, vets make great employees. {I think you endear yourself to people more – especially with some of the language in this piece –if you expound a bit on vets and “why” they make great employees.
    · Reemployment Now: I kind of like this; it a hybrid between working and unemployment that lets someone work and collect some unemployment, then get trained for a job. It actually seems to be a program that may create jobs – a goal of this act, I presume.
    · School modernization: Decent idea, but does a building make for better students, or does better teachers and better parent/student communications? Again – I think more of your valued opinion here would be beneficial. More on the parent/student interaction.
    · Infrastructure spending: I thought we were complaining about bridges to nowhere before. I think getting money moving is a better idea.
    · Infrastructure loans: Set up a new ‘bank’ to loan money for infrastructure lending. Last time I looked, we had a bunch of banks: how about getting them to loan money by making it easier for them to do it? And, maybe a real loan might be repaid, and then we wouldn’t really be using taxpayer money.
    · Subsidized employment: ‘Pathways Back to Work’: This is a fund to provide subsidized work opportunities for youth, low income and unemployed low-income adults. I like this better than unemployment – I’d rather have my tax dollars allowing people to actually work. Besides, youth ought to learn the value of work ethic, and be given a call to action. Maybe, we’ll have more productive citizens with that approach.
    · 100% bonus depreciation: I think this is kind of funny, because we want to close corporate loopholes, but this opens [[actually continues) one. Yes, I’ll use it. It will make me buy stuff sooner rather than later, so it will probably be stimulative.
    · Long Term Unemployed hiring preference: This is a $4,000 credit to hire someone who has been unemployed for at least 6 months. I see problems in this: It may lead employers to avoid hiring recently unemployed people, why hire someone today when you can wait a couple months, hire that person and get a tax credit; and second, in my experience as an employer, the longer a person is unemployed, the harder it is for them to get back into the work force – indeed, statistics show that the longer a person is unemployed, the less incentive they have to find a job, a bit scary to be sure, and how much do I really want to hire someone who is not as incentivized?
    · Reducing the payroll tax for another year: I thought we were trying to get rid of a deficit? Isn’t Social Security one of the biggest items in the budget? Can someone explain to me how cutting the tax rate on the employee by over 30% helps save Social Security? In addition, can anyone explain how an extra $20-25 a week in someone’s check adds jobs?
    · Employer Credit for increased payroll. This provides a credit to offset the employer social security tax for increased payroll. I think it was declared as a credit to give raises. Now, I’d like a raise, and Congress likes raises [[they gave themselves one), but I’m again missing how this gets me to hire. I’m a business person, and I hire because I need someone, not because I get a credit. On the other hand hmmm, maybe if I give myself a raise, and hire my family, I can get a credit…
    · Extension of Unemployment. I’m going to sound crass. If I were unemployed, and getting $360 a week; I would look for a job. Suppose I was offered one at $10 an hour, which is an OK job. $10 an hour is $400 a week. I’ll have to pay federal income taxes, FICA taxes, Medicare taxes and Michigan taxes on that, plus get to and from work. Probably when all is said and done, I may be netting $300 a week. Why would I take the job? Now if the blended reemployment plan worked, that’s a totally different story.

Bottom Line: I’m skeptical whenever government announces they are going to spend money but cut other spending to make up the difference. I clearly am in favor of some of the provisions, like equalizing corporate tax rates, and trying to give people a transition to working from unemployment. Here is my take as a businessman and an advisor to businesses: Small businesses don’t hire because of tax credits: they hire because they need people. Give us a simple system with low waste and simple taxes; cut out excessive bureaucracy. Maybe show a bit of civility and decorum for the people you work for. We’ll make new goods and services and hire people to help us. They’ll make money and pay more taxes.

TL;DR

Format better