Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit with no suburbs!

Imagine Detroit with no suburbs, only townships. What if this merge of the suburbs and Detroit happen? What kind of political system do the citizens have? Will this new bigger Super-Detroit will have its own police, fire and water department. What would our Dowtown skyline would be like and what to about race relations. I would like to Detroit covering up its city limits on tri-county area. with a population of almost 4 million. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Imagine Detroit with no suburbs, only townships. What if this merge of the suburbs and Detroit happen? What kind of political system do the citizens have? Will this new bigger Super-Detroit will have its own police, fire and water department. What would our Dowtown skyline would be like and what to about race relations. I would like to Detroit covering up its city limits on tri-county area. with a population of almost 4 million. Any thoughts?
    Well, legally speaking, if the area surrounding Detroit were township land, the portion in Wayne County could be annexed. I'm not sure how much more difficult it would be to annex township land in Oakland County, but I imagine it could be done...

As any organization gets larger and more complex, it gets much more efficient and responsible. A huge super-city government would, I imagine, be a model of effectiveness and responsiveness to it's citizenry. Just keep heaping on the bureaucracy and the government will just keep getting better and better.

I would consider this only if the county level governments were dis-banded in the Super-Detroit area. Such a large city does not not a county-level government structure to provide redundant services.

I would be for exploring a metro-police force like Las Vegas has.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    As any organization gets larger and more complex, it gets much more efficient and responsible. A huge super-city government would, I imagine, be a model of effectiveness and responsiveness to it's citizenry. Just keep heaping on the bureaucracy and the government will just keep getting better and better.

Agree. The efficiencies of scale would be huge. One can point to the federal government as a perfect example of how things get done. The only thing better would be to somehow find a way to incorporate Windsor into the mega-opolis........

Other than the legal hurdles, which are considerable, there would be considerable savings from uniting 100-odd iterations of zoning boards, fire departments, police departments, school boards, city clerks, finance and budgeting departments, treasuries, inspection departments, parks and recreation departments, animal control, development offices, etc. Rolling in the county governments would eliminate duplicated road commissions, transit authorities, sheriff's offices, etc. Add to this the fact that a united supercity would be the third largest city in the United States and you have a much stronger voice in Washington for funds for projects. Lots of possibilities to cut expenses, gain more funds and finally force us to fix our local problems instead of building more walls and saying they're somebody else's to fix.

The downside to huge organizations is that they become overly bureaucratic, and slow to respond to change... Sorta like what Detroit has been in recent history.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    The downside to huge organizations is that they become overly bureaucratic, and slow to respond to change... Sorta like what Detroit has been in recent history.
    Detroit's problem are due in part to size, but also many other complex issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Detroit's problem are due in part to size, but also many other complex issues.
    Well, Detroit's being overly bureaucratic probably wouldn't have had a major affect when it didn't have to fight for residents... But when that variable changed against the city's favor, the entrenchment at the government level was extremely slow to respond to the changes... That much let a bad situation turn into a crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Other than the legal hurdles, which are considerable, there would be considerable savings from uniting 100-odd iterations of zoning boards, fire departments, police departments, school boards, city clerks, finance and budgeting departments, treasuries, inspection departments, parks and recreation departments, animal control, development offices, etc. Rolling in the county governments would eliminate duplicated road commissions, transit authorities, sheriff's offices, etc. Add to this the fact that a united supercity would be the third largest city in the United States and you have a much stronger voice in Washington for funds for projects. Lots of possibilities to cut expenses, gain more funds and finally force us to fix our local problems instead of building more walls and saying they're somebody else's to fix.
    Well, sure there might be some benefits, but let's admit we are talking about something that is absolutely impossible, politically. Even to take a tiny little merger as an example, it is more likely for me to become Pope than for Detroit to merge with Grosse Pointe, much less all the other 120+ communities.

This discussion is interesting, but it is sort of like my wife and I discussing what we will do with our unicorns when we get them. We are way out there in the realm of unreality, here.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    This discussion is interesting, but it is sort of like my wife and I discussing what we will do with our unicorns when we get them. We are way out there in the realm of unreality, here.
    I think you should breed them and make MORE unicorns!

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Well, sure there might be some benefits, but let's admit we are talking about something that is absolutely impossible, politically. Even to take a tiny little merger as an example, it is more likely for me to become Pope than for Detroit to merge with Grosse Pointe, much less all the other 120+ communities.

You have to blue-sky sometime. Or else how will anybody ever be convinced? Sure, the legal and social hurdles are almost insurmountable. But don't let's end the conversation no. It's nice to dream...

Good question...it'd be great if everyone in the city and suburbs could realize they're in it together.

It might help to break out the several issues here:

-efficiency. Some services are cheaper/more effective a larger scale: water provision, transit [[due to economies of scale from a larger network). Others might suffer from too much bureaucracy [[possibly schools, although I don't know enough about it to say for sure). My hunch is that physical services like water infrastructure are easier at a large scale, while people-centered services can be smothered by bureaucracy.

-"spillovers." If Troy builds a giant new shopping mall, the increase in traffic spills over into neighboring cities. Troy gets all the tax dollars, but its neighbors are stuck paying for wider roads. That's inefficient and unfair. A super Detroit government would avoid that.

-accountability and responsiveness. A lot of people rightly argue that local government is better because it is more responsive to its residents. I think that's true, but more important for some things than others.

-bargaining power. Like DN said, a super Detroit could pull a lot more weight with the feds, and with businesses considering locating here.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    That was my sarcastic point. Name any organization that gets more efficient with greater size. Consolidation would work if you greatly diminished the role and scope of city government, however, when you expect it to provide every service under the sun, it's going to be a nightmare dealing with a bureaucracy of that magnitude.

Check out how London operates. It's been growing steadily for centuries, absorbing neighboring suburbs and towns along the way. Now you have the greater city of London with a mayor and assembly, 30-odd boroughs with their own councils and the ancient city of London proper basically with it's own government. Some share services, some don't. Some share educational systems, some don't. Some services are coordinated city-wide, some aren't. There is the Greater London Authority, which oversees the whole city, the London Council Association, which coordinates the local boroughs, the Local Government Association, which coordinates with other cities outside of London, and the National Association of Local Councils that lobbies the national government on behalf of the local councils, also located in London.

All these organizations and councils came to being after a multiple *consolidations* of councils and groups. After 60 years of effort, this is as small as they can get it. Aside from a shared police department and transit, I'm not seeing a whole lot of waste elimination going on. You think having one city council is tough to deal with? Imagine having 30!

Organizations get more efficient with greater size because of economies of scale and ability to bargain better with vendors.

Are you saying that Wal-Mart is a bloated bureaucracy that needs to be much smaller in order to succeed?

That was my sarcastic point. Name any organization that gets more efficient with greater size. Consolidation would work if you greatly diminished the role and scope of city government, however, when you expect it to provide every service under the sun, it's going to be a nightmare dealing with a bureaucracy of that magnitude.

Check out how London operates. It's been growing steadily for centuries, absorbing neighboring suburbs and towns along the way. Now you have the greater city of London with a mayor and assembly, 30-odd boroughs with their own councils and the ancient city of London proper basically with it's own government. Some share services, some don't. Some share educational systems, some don't. Some services are coordinated city-wide, some aren't. There is the Greater London Authority, which oversees the whole city, the London Council Association, which coordinates the local boroughs, the Local Government Association, which coordinates with other cities outside of London, and the National Association of Local Councils that lobbies the national government on behalf of the local councils, also located in London.

All these organizations and councils came to being after a multiple *consolidations* of councils and groups. After 60 years of effort, this is as small as they can get it. Aside from a shared police department and transit, I'm not seeing a whole lot of waste elimination going on. You think having one city council is tough to deal with? Imagine having 30!
    Yeah, I agree with you.

The flip side, though, is that Greater London basically serves the function that a county would play in Michigan [[and it's a single county instead of three autonomous counties competing for control of shared interests). And since England has no states, Greater London is just one level under the federal level.

Vox Guest

Well, Detroit sure hasn't become a super efficient government entity. Neither has any of the county governments. I think that in order for this to work, Detroit and every other city government needs to be erased and replaced by a completely new entity.

Are you saying that Wal-Mart is a bloated bureaucracy that needs to be much smaller in order to succeed?

oh no you didn't....

you are actually going to try to compare a free market business with the government? REALLY??? if anything, your arguement points to privitization of services for more efficient and cost effective delivery.....

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    oh no you didn't....

you are actually going to try to compare a free market business with the government? REALLY??? if anything, your arguement points to privitization of services for more efficient and cost effective delivery.....
    That's funny, Goose. I thought you made a blanket statement about organizations. If anybody should now do some careful qualifying, I believe that would be ... you. I have never equated the two. Your move.

Organizations get more efficient with greater size because of economies of scale and ability to bargain better with vendors.

Sure, Walmart is very efficient, but I'm not sure I would want it running my schools. Even if a large public entity could be as efficient as Walmart, I'm not sure its' a good model. There's more to government than efficiency.
    Last edited by urbanhat; September-27-11 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanhat View Post
    Sure, Walmart is very efficient, but I'm not sure I would want it running my schools. Even if a large public entity could be as efficient as Walmart, I'm not sure its' a good model. There's more to government than efficiency.
    Yes, this is a purely rhetorical point. Goose says all organizations that are large are inefficient. This is a blanket statement that is difficult to defend. After all, this is really just a jab at specific "large" organizations, such as Uncle Sugar and Detroit Public Schools. Little did he think he was lumping them in with such organizations as Wal-Mart and the Pentagon...

Quote Originally Posted by urbanhat View Post
    I just got that Simpsons episode into my head where a major corporation took over Springfield Elementary...

I think it would also be more democratic, since there would be fewer politicians to elect. As it is now there are sooo many elected officials in so many small areas that except for Detroit and a few other cities no one actually knows who it is they're electing, since there are so many people to elect. The press almost never covers political goings-ons in the smaller cities unless it's a big scandal [[they don't even cover normal sized scandals).

Imagine one Detroit.

More specifically, imagine not dodging 20 revenue-hungry police forces on your drive home...

Yes, this is a purely rhetorical point. Goose says all organizations that are large are inefficient. This is a blanket statement that is difficult to defend. After all, this is really just a jab at specific "large" organizations, such as Uncle Sugar and Detroit Public Schools. Little did he think he was lumping them in with such organizations as Wal-Mart and the Pentagon...
    no, i did not say ALL organizations that were large are inefficient, the point was made about government, you would be hard pressed to find evidence that by making the government larger, you would have more efficienies... there are story after stories about the red tape and beuacracy in government that slows progress and hinders development

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast