Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Lions/ Tigers fever !!

Great time to be a Detroit sports fan these days ! the Tigers won the AL Central and will begin their quest for a world series title. The Red Wings will start their season later this month. Finally our beloved Lions are off to their 1st 3-0 start since 1980 !

I know this forum usually discuss more important issues, but let's relax a little and show some pride in our teams. What are your thoughts on our teams ? Lions playoffs ? Tigers world series potential, do the Wings have what it takes to bring the Cup back home.

At the very least this will be a added boost to the restaurants and bars downtown !

thatguy123 Guest

Lions playoffs? Its week 3, jumping the gun a little?

I would reserve judgement on how well the actually are until they run the gauntlet they have in front of them weeks 12-17 and pray your playoff hopes dont come down to a win in Green Bay the last game of the season

Yeah, that game 17 is going to be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Since each team gets a bye week, there are 17 weeks in the NFL regular season. Might want to clean up your facts before ripping on another poster...

Love that 3-0 start which continues the 4-game winning streak from the end of last season. And you know I'm talking about hometown favorites the Warriors... http://wsuathletics.com/news/2011/9/...922115645.aspx

thatguy123 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    LOL I love when people try to insult someone and make themselves look stupid in the process.

Las Vegas Hilton has the Lions at 10-1 to win the Super Bowl

Consider me snake-bitten and a wood-knocker. I remember the 1980 season and the 4-0 start when the Lions theme song "Another One Bites the Dust" became parodied into "Another One Kicks Our Butts" when they collapsed yet again. I saw the best runner in the football history squandered. I remember too many disappointments. No fever here.

I have a good feeling about this young team but they sure to have weaknesses exposed and along with a couple of key injuries, who knows? I am not celebrating until and if they make the playoffs. But go Lions. We're ready.

The streak for me started Thanksgiving Day in 1962.
    It ended for me after the 1979 season.
    I went to most games in between, with season choppers from 1968-1979.
    I got excited one year.....1970.

After Mr. Sims arrival and the much heralded 4-0 start, I was asked if I was now sorry I gave up my tx. I said then, "Wait until the end of the season, and I'll let you know".

I can count on two hands the number of Lions games I've been to since.

bartock Guest

Point is, the Tigers and Lions are both very much relevant at the end of September, which is a rare, rare, rare, rare, rare, rare thing. It's rare.

I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

Gnome wasn't trying to insult anyone.

Stromberg2

We all know the Restaurants/Bars are slammed during the events.

As far as for when the Teams are on the road, are there any places that are crowded with "fans" watching the games. Has anyone experienced a great venue to watch the games?

I think gnome's got it right. Week 17 is New Years Day, outdoors, against the Packers at Lambeau. Lions might win, but it won't be a cakewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I think gnome's got it right. Week 17 is New Years Day, outdoors, against the Packers at Lambeau. Lions might win, but it won't be a cakewalk.
    He said game 17 - not week 17. I think it was sarcastic [[or he just doesn't know the NFL schedule too well)...not that this really matters at all. If it wasn't sarcasm my apologies for calling him out.

Three wins this year, plus four at the end of last year, hell, lets count the 4 pre-season wins, wow that's 11 in a row! How long since we could say that about our "gridiron gladiators"?

And I have a good felling about this Tigers team as well.