Default New official Census results for Detroit's Inner ring suburbs

Here are some 2010 U.S. Census results for suburbs surrounding Detroit:

Harper Woods

White 7,0614 9.6%
    Black or African American 6,4884 5.6%

American Indian and Alaska Native 34 0.2%

Asian 209 1.5%

Hispanic or Latino 281 2.0%

By 2013 Harper Woods will become mostly black.

Grosse Pointe Woods

White 14,7419 1.4%
    Black or African American 726 4.5%
    American Indian and Alaska Native 18 0.1%
    Asian 392 2.4%
    Hispanic or Latino 270 1.7%

Grosse Pointe Farms

White 9,046 95.4%
    Black or African American 169 1.8%
    American Indian and Alaska Native 16 0.2%
    Asian 119 1.3%
    Hispanic or Latino 188 2.0%

Grosse Pointe

White 5,051 93.2%
    Black or African American 180 3.3%
    American Indian and Alaska Native 6 0.1%
    Asian 85 1.6%
    Hispanic or Latino 98 1.8%

Grosse Pointe Woods

White 9,818 85.0%
    Black or African American 1,219 10.5%
    American Indian and Alaska Native 21 0.2%
    Asian 210 1.8%
    Hispanic or Latino 291 2.5%

Hamtramck

White 12,009 53.6%
    Black or African American 4,317 19.3%
    American Indian and Alaska Native 64 0.3%
    Asian 4,831 21.5%
    Hispanic or Latino 328 1.5%

The Asian [[ Mostly East Indians and Pakistanis, Yemenis Begladeshi and Sri Lankans,) have filled up some parts of Hamtramck neighborhoods over the past 20 years. Blacks have slowly dwindled from Hamtramck after the dreaded restrictive covenant measures, but HUD order the Hamtramck Public Housing to rebuild new homes for them south of the I-75 fwy. in since the early 2000s.

Highland Park

Black or African American 11,012 93.5%

White 514 4.4%
    American Indian and Alaska Native 31 0.3%
    Asian 47 0.4%

Hispanic or Latino 156 1.3%

Highland Park was once Detroit city within a city boomtown thanks to Henry Ford Highland Park Assembly Factories where they make the Model T's. in 1910. Low to Middle class blacks moved in following the Jewish expansion to the West and Northwest side of Detroit in the late 1940s to the 1960s.
    By the mid 1970s Highland Park was mostly black to this day and middle class whites moved away to the suburbs.

Dearborn

White 87,454 89.1%
    Black or African American 3,965 4.0%
    American Indian and Alaska Native 220 0.2%
    Asian 1,706 1.7%
    Hispanic or Latino 3,386 3.4%

Dearborn [[ The birthplace of Henry Ford) is one of the Detroit's fastest boomtown thanks to Henry Ford's River Rouge Plants. Herny Ford brough in ethnic Arabs to work in his factories in 1910. Arabs settled in a lower southest corner called "Arabian Village" alonf Dix and Vernor Rd. That border Southwest Detroit. By the 1970s more Arabs from Lebanon, Iraq. Syria and other middle eastern nations quickly move up Dearborn's East Side are [[ Eastborn) along W. Warren Ave. In the meantime Mayor Orville Hubbard lauch his "Keep Dearborn Clean" campaign. It literally mean Keep Blacks out! Since Hubbard recognized ethnic Arabs as whites he was in a little interest to throwing them out. After he died in 1975 and ethnic Arabs kept their stronghold along W. Warren Rd. to this day and expanded their communties all over Northwestern Wayne County cities.

MORE TO COME......
    Last edited by Danny; September-26-11 at 10:58 AM.

Danny, question... I don't understand the statistics. Are those percentages? Or are they census count in hundreds or thousands?

They're both, run together. Mentally put a space in the appropriate place.

This is a mess. Just give us a link, please.

Melvindale

White 8,231 76.8%
    Black or African American 1,207 11.3%
    American Indian and Alaska Native 79 0.7%
    Asian 90 0.8%
    Hispanic or Latino 1,958 18.3%
    Melvindale is now has the highest Mexican/Latino population by percentage in Wayne County not Detroit!

Lincoln Park

White 32,126 84.2%
    Black or African American 2,260 5.9%
    American Indian and Alaska Native 269 0.7%
    Asian 193 0.5%
    Hispanic or Latino 5,676 14.9%

River Rouge

White 3,111 39.4%
    Black or African American 3,994 50.5%
    American Indian and Alaska Native 48 0.6%
    Asian 17 0.2%
    Hispanic or Latino 8841 1.2%

River Rouge is now mostly black! But its neighborhoods are still demarcated from the railroad tracks.

Ecorse

White 4,1864 4.0%

Black or African American 4,4154 6.4%
    American Indian and Alaska Native 74 0.8%
    Asian 27 0.3%
    Hispanic or Latino 1,278 13.4%

Ecorse is now mostly black! But its neighborhoods are still demarcated from the railroad tracks.

Dearborn Heights

White 49,772 86.1%
    Black or African American 4,546 7.9%
    American Indian and Alaska Native 237 0.4%
    Asian 999 1.7%
    Hispanic and Latino 2,712 4.7%

The expansion of ethnic Arab Muslims make Dearborn Heights the next "Little Mecca!"

MORE TO COME....
    Last edited by Danny; September-26-11 at 11:03 AM.

Danny, question... I don't understand the statistics. Are those percentages?

Or are they census count in hundreds or thousands? They're both, run together. Mentally put a space in the appropriate place.

This is a mess. Just give us a link, please

The error is fixed! And here's the link http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/...hresults.xhtml

It's a very tricky U.S. Census website. Its leads you a mess of search engines. carefully read the instructions before clicking to any U.S. city.

I thought Dearborn had one of the largest Arab populations in the U.S.? In fact, I thought I read that the area east of the Southfield fwy was majority Arab. These number are extremely small.

Arabs are considered white by the census, i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Arabs are considered white by the census, i think.
    Thanks. I guess that makes sense.

Southfield

White 17,876 24.9%

Black or African American 50,432 70.3% American Indian and Alaska Native 143 0.2% Asian 1,233 1.7% Hispanic or Latino 957 1.3%
    Southfield was once a mostly middle class white and Jewish community from 1950s to 1990s. Middle Blacks followed the Jewish communities to Southfield from Northwest Detroit during early 1980s to the 2000s. Today Southfield has no white community but it has small enclaves mostly near the borders of Farmington Hills, Bingham Farms, Franklin, and Beverly Hills. There are some small Hasidic Jewish communities along Greenfield Rd and 10 Mile and some Orthodox Jews along Telegraph Rd. to 12 Mile Rd. and Lahser. Low-income blacks also followed the Middle income blacks and are settling along Northland Mall area along 9 Mile Rd. from Greenfield Rd. Near the Oak Park Border to 10 Mile Rd. in the Mount Vernon community.

Oak Park

White 10,962 37.4%

Black or African American 16,842 57.4%
    American Indian and Alaska Native 64 0.2%
    Asian 419 1.4%
    Hispanic or Latino 423 1.4%

Oak Park was once a mostly middle class white community since the 1920s. By the 1950 to 1990s an influx of Middle class Jews from Northwest Detroit
    settle in its neighborhoods. By the later 1970s to the present an influx of middle class blacks follow the Jews from Northwest Detroit and settle its neighborhoods. The southern parts of Oak Park from Greenfield Rd. and 8 Mile Rd to 9 Mile Rd. and Coolidge [[Schaefer) HWY. became mostly black. There are some Chaldean families settle along Rosewood St. Oak Park Rd. to 9 Mile Rd. and Coolidge [[Schaefer) HWY. Today fewer Hasidic Jews are still living along 9 Mile Rd. between Greenfield Rd. and Coolidge [[ Schaefer HWY.) Fewer low-income black families are living the duplex-like projects at Greenfield Rd. just north of 8 Mile Rd. up to Albert Einstien Elementary School. and Greenfield Rd. and 10 Mile Rd. Oak Park remains mostly black since 2000s. Living in Oak Park is like living in "Little Chicago or Little New York City."

Ferndale

White 16,854 84.7%

Black or African American 1,901 9.6%
    American Indian and Alaska Native 96 0.5%

Asian 266 1.3%
    Hispanic or Latino 554 2.8%

Hazel Park

White 13,599 82.8%
    Black or African American 1,608 9.8%
    American Indian and Alaska Native 140 0.9%
    Asian 243 1.5%
    Hispanic or Latino 446 2.7%

MORE TO COME.....

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Southfield

White 17,876 24.9%

Black or African American 50,432 70.3% American Indian and Alaska Native 143 0.2% Asian 1,233 1.7% Hispanic or Latino 957 1.3%
    Southfield was once a mostly middle class white and Jewish community from 1950s to 1990s. Middle Blacks followed the Jewish communities to Southfield from Northwest Detroit during early 1980s to the 2000s. Today Southfield has no white community but it has small enclaves mostly near the borders of Farmington Hills, Bingham Farms, Franklin, and Beverly Hills. There are some small Hasidic Jewish communities along Greenfield Rd and 10 Mile and some Orthodox Jews along Telegraph Rd. to 12 Mile Rd. and Lahser. Low-income blacks also followed the Middle income blacks and are settling along Northland Mall area along 9 Mile Rd. from Greenfield Rd. Near the Oak Park Border to 10 Mile Rd. in the Mount Vernon community.

Oak Park

White 10,962 37.4%

Black or African American 16,842 57.4%
    American Indian and Alaska Native 64 0.2%
    Asian 419 1.4%
    Hispanic or Latino 423 1.4%

Oak Park was once a mostly middle class white community since the 1920s. By the 1950 to 1990s an influx of Middle class Jews from Northwest Detroit
    settle in its neighborhoods. By the later 1970s to the present an influx of middle class blacks follow the Jews from Northwest Detroit and settle its neighborhoods. The southern parts of Oak Park from Greenfield Rd. and 8 Mile Rd to 9 Mile Rd. and Coolidge [[Schaefer) HWY. became mostly black. There are some Chaldean families settle along Rosewood St. Oak Park Rd. to 9 Mile Rd. and Coolidge [[Schaefer) HWY. Today fewer Hasidic Jews are still living along 9 Mile Rd. between Greenfield Rd. and Coolidge [[ Schaefer HWY.) Fewer low-income black families are living the duplex-like projects at Greenfield Rd. just north of 8 Mile Rd. up to Albert Einstien Elementary School. and Greenfield Rd. and 10 Mile Rd. Oak Park remains mostly black since 2000s. Living in Oak Park is like living in "Little Chicago or Little New York City."

Ferndale

White 16,854 84.7%

Black or African American 1,901 9.6%
    American Indian and Alaska Native 96 0.5%

Asian 266 1.3%
    Hispanic or Latino 554 2.8%

Hazel Park

White 13,599 82.8%
    Black or African American 1,608 9.8%
    American Indian and Alaska Native 140 0.9%
    Asian 243 1.5%
    Hispanic or Latino 446 2.7%

MORE TO COME.....
    Oak Park little Chicago or NYC?? Please explain how. The dang city doesn't even allow the serving of an alcoholic beverage at any business! OP is probably the least cosmopolitan of all of its neighbors [[Detroit, Ferndale, Royal Oak, Southfield, Huntington Woods and Berkley).

Also, what about all of the hasidic jews living between 10 and 11 Miles between Coolidge and Greenfield.

Warren

White 105,088 78.4%
    Black or African American 18,123 13.5%
    American Indian and Alaska Native 562 0.4%
    Asian 6,212 4.6% Hispanic or Latino 2,758 2.1%

Warren has its bad rep of trying to blacks out from its neighborhoods from writing swazitkas at a Warren neighborhood home where a black female once lived to Former Mayor Mark Steenberg beating a black youth while walking through a its streets. Still more blacks are moving to Warren in slower numbers; mostly to occupy its southern neighborhoods. There is black enclave on 14 Mile Rd. from Mound Rd. to Ryan Rd.

Eastpointe

White 21,297 65.6%
    Black or African American 9,575 29.5%
    American Indian and Alaska Native 130 0.4%
    Asian 353 1.1%
    Hispanic or Latino 677 2.1%

Eastpointe was called East Detroit from the 1920s to mid 1990s. It's a formally an Irish settlement out of Erin Township. Than lots of Polish and German families move in and develop homes. By the late 1940s to the 2000s As Detroit's " Little Italy " expanded along Gratiot Ave, in influx of middle class Italian families move into its neighborhoods. As Little Italy was dying in Detroit due into influx of low to middle class blacks. Italian families feared that more African Americans from Detroit's East Side are quickly moving their communities so they accelerated their flight to other Macomb County cities. To prevent its city to look like Detroit the remaining loyal middle class white residents change its name from East Detroit to Eastpointe to reflect its view to Grosse Pointes. By the early 1990s to 2000s more middle class blacks have settled mostly in its neighborhoods East of Gratiot Ave. to E. 8 Mile Rd. to Kelly Rd. from Toepfer St. By 2020 Eastpointe will become 50% mostly black.

That's all....... Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    << Originally Posted by Detroitnerd
    Arabs are considered white by the census, i think.>>
    I'm not well-infomed, here. I did hear years ago that ethnically, Arabs are Caucasian. Would be interested in hearing more on this, because it is an idea that might break some stereotypes.

At the same time, I might point out that all of these statistics are getting fuzzy. The number if 'inter-racial' people is growing very quickly -- also a really good sign. But it means that statistics are becoming meaningless.

It really is starting to become meaningless. I think in 1-2 generations race will be looked at much differently than it is now. I'm not saying it'll be utopia, but the old associations we have with race are starting to have much less usefulness.

Consider that the smallest minorities in the cities are Asian and American Indian. Many of my Asian friends are in interracial relationships, and even the taboo white/black relationships are starting to become more commonplace, even if they're necessarily "accepted" yet in some circles.

I think the racial breakdown is interesting. I think another -- more useful -- data point would be education level. Because the socio-economic realities are much more important, in my opinion, and seem much more relevant dealing with political problems of the day.

Danny, go back and fix your percentages for Harper Woods [[white and black)... and you have 2 Grosse Pointe Woods listed... one would assume that the lesser 2nd one is actually Grosse Pointe Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I'm not well-infomed, here. I did hear years ago that ethnically, Arabs are Caucasian. Would be interested in hearing more on this, because it is an idea that might break some stereotypes.
    The U.S. racial classifications, and racial classifications in general, have no scientific basis. The U.S. Census bureau's classification of Arabs as white was just some person [[or persons) making a decision, rather than a scientifically substantiated study of whether Arab people have a close "genetic" relation to Europeans.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    The U.S. racial classifications, and racial classifications in general, have no scientific basis. The U.S. Census bureau's classification of Arabs as white was just some person [[or persons) making a decision, rather than a scientifically substantiated study of whether Arab people have a close "genetic" relation to Europeans.
    Yes, but it's not like they just made it up... they followed the standards of the times. Here'sa 1932 German Lexicon page that it shows some of the racial subdivisions [[that they believed at the time):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Europaeid_types.jpg

Before the modern age of Gene research, learned people followed the practices and believes of the era. Back then pigmentation was more important than it is today for determining race. The Beduin's pictured in this Lexicon are the Arabs of today.

For example today we know that African Ethiopian's and Somalian's are not racially related to the other blacks of sub-Saharan Africa. Back in the earlier 20th century they were considered black.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Yes, but it's not like they just made it up... they followed the standards of the times. Here'sa 1932 German Lexicon page that it shows some of the racial subdivisions [[that they believed at the time):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Europaeid_types.jpg

Before the modern age of Gene research, learned people followed the practices and believes of the era. Back then pigmentation was more important than it is today for determining race. The Beduin's pictured in this Lexicon are the Arabs of today.
    I like to think of it as someone's opinion got cemented into fact. And until the modern era, that sort of "science" was used as a way to confirm biases rather than challenge conventional wisdom.

For example today we know that African Ethiopian's and Somalian's are not racially related to the other blacks of sub-Saharan Africa. Back in the earlier 20th century they were considered black.
    Well, there is a lot of variation within sub-Saharan Africa -- it's the most genetically varied region of humans on Earth, so no surprise there. Also, I know it's a hard habit to break, but we really shouldn't be referring to human sub-groups as races when we're talking about genetic differences. People of different "races" can be more closely related, genetically, than people of the same "race".

I would think Arabs would be closer to blacks than whites. Some of them are as dark as black people, go figure.

genetic differences? WTF? didn't Jimmy the Greek refer to some sort of genetic difference and got shit-canned? I thought we were all the same other than the color of our skin.....

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    genetic differences? WTF? didn't Jimmy the Greek refer to some sort of genetic difference and got shit-canned? I thought we were all the same other than the color of our skin.....
    Jimmy the Greek got canned for referring that blacks were superior than whites physically, but inferior intellectually. He deserved it as well as Howard Cossell for saying about a black wide receiver "watch that little monkey run" during a Washington Redskins game.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; September-26-11 at 04:50 PM.

I believe the old science went like this:

If you're white, you're alright.
    If you're brown, stick around.
    If you're black, get back.

And "whites" exclusively meant Anglo-Saxon Christian protestants. Except when they needed some help keeping the blacks down. Then they'd say, "OK, this year, we'll let the Irish think they're white. We need some help keeping down the 'other.'" Then, they'd tell the Greeks and Russians that they were white. Finally, they told the Jews and Italians they were white. Then, as a last great bulwark against nonwhites, we're calling Arabs and Indians white.

How can you tell you're white? That's easy. You're not non-white. Your job as a white person is to keep non-whites down.

That's why I prefer European or Caucasian as a term. I know it's all fuzzy, but ...

My Brit friends laugh their asses when they hear the term "Caucasian" tossed around by us yanks. They always give the dry retort asking which part of the Caucasus are we from...also, I have some Lebanese ancestry...so does that make me mixed race then? Am I a partial Semite?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I believe the old science went like this:

If you're white, you're alright.
    If you're brown, stick around.
    If you're black, get back.

Great tune! If anyone hasn't heard it before... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbXH3LGPafU&NR=1

I thought Dearborn had one of the largest Arab populations in the U.S.? In fact, I thought I read that the area east of the Southfield fwy was majority Arab. These number are extremely small.
    It is. Dearborn's Arab [[Muslim) population is over 30%. Most of them are living in Dearborn's "Arabian Village" on Dix and Vernor HWY. and W. Warren Ave. from the borbers of Detroit to beyond Detroit's Warrendale community and most Northwestern Wayne County cities.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast