Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Arthur Fleischmann Carpet Company - anybody have stories ?

Hey all, researching the Arthur Fleischmann Carpet Company. Original store, 12585 Gratiot, branch store at 140 Cadillac Square, and branch store in Pontiac at 55 Oakland.

Very interesting man, my understanding is that he started out as a Sheeny man, and worked his way up to starting his floor product business. He held the original patent for tack strips used to stretch carpeting. A small device that is now ubiquitous in many types of carpet installation.

I know there used to be a huge painted sign along one of the expressways, black and yellow I think - cant remember exactly where tho.

Anyone has any info on Arthur or his business or that sign, itd be much appreciated !

Name:  arthur.JPG
Views: 539
Size:  36.1 KB

Here is a classic advert - a measuring glass with company info.

Thought there was one of his stores on Grand River, way up, like near Lasher.

yeah, I found that GR address but there is nothing there now that looks like an older store. its almost up to Old Redford.

Here are photos of the main store on Gratiot. Not sure if it was the original building he started in or not.

http://www.detroitfunk.com/?p=5588

I remember a young neighbor working at the store on Grand River in the 70s. The sign was like a big number 7. I think the store closed in either the late 70s or early 80s.

The Grand River store was a block east of Evergreen at Plainview. There is an insurance agency in the building now.

Map view: here.

Yes, look at street view from Auburn looking west and you can see that big 7.

My only story was with the Grand River store.

Years ago I dated a girl who lived at Marlowe and Intervale. I would ride my motorcycle over to her house and I would always look to see my reflection in the angled windows of that store. Looking to see how "cool" I looked to others. A legend in my own mind even at 17....... hey,.that was a LONG TIME ago.